Sign in with
Your question

My PC spec. What do you think? (need opinions before i build

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2006 7:31:38 PM

well, i made a pc on paper and thought that this spec wouold be good for applications and gaming and an alround very fast pc. I wanted some input on this from other people beofre i build it so it will work as i want it to? What do you think of this spec? (i am unwilling ot OC btw :S)

CPU, Intel Core 2 duo, E6600
ECS motherboard 2pcix16, 5 sata
320gb hardrive 7200rpm 16mb chache
1024mb DDr2 RAM 670mhz
CDRW/DVD
Dongle, SATA to IDE (do i need this to get my IDE (above) into the mothorbord??).
Casing, 400w PSU
Nvidia 256mb DDR2 Graphics card (Asus Nvidia 7600GT 256MB DDR3 TV out DVI PCI-E).

If you need mroe details to properlly asses please say so. I also wanted to know if all these parts will work together etc. I ahve made sure the socket for CPU and chipsets r compatible etc. sorry this is my first time. any comments?

More about : spec opinions build

November 29, 2006 7:38:16 PM

could you be a little more specific when it comes to the case/psu and the mobo? the fact that your using a bundled psu worries me, and it would help to know what kind of ECS mobo.
November 29, 2006 7:42:22 PM

bundled CPU? ya what?

Mobo:

Model
Brand: ECS
Model: P965T-A (V1.0)

Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type: Socket T (LGA 775)
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Extreme/Core 2 Duo/Pentium D/Celeron
FSB: 1066/800MHz
Supported CPU Technologies: Hyper-Threading Technology

Chipsets
North Bridge: Intel P965 Express
South Bridge: Intel ICH8

Memory
Number of DDR2 Slots: 4x 240pin DDR2
DDR2 Standard: DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported: 8GB
Dual Channel Supported: Yes

Expansion Slots
PCI Express x16: 2
PCI Express x1: 2
PCI Slots: 3

Storage Devices
PATA: 1 x ATA100 up to 2 Devices
SATA: 3Gb/s 5
Additional RAID Controller: JMicron JMB361

Onboard Video
Onboard Video: No

Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC883
Audio Channels: 8 Channels

Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset: Realtek RTL8110SC Giga LAN
Max LAN Speed: 10/100/1000Mbps

Rear Panel Ports
PS/2: 2
COM: 1
LPT: 1
USB: 4x USB 2.0
Audio Ports: 6 Ports

Onboard USB
Onboard USB: 6x USB 2.0

Physical Spec
Form Factor: ATX
Dimensions: 12.0" x 9.6"

Features
Power Pin: 24 Pin

and the case and PSU:

# Compact MP3 Player Style ATX Case
# ATX 400 Watt PSU
# Front USB 2.0 Ports
# Front Audio Ports

Item Code : CA-XAPOD-SI
Item : A-Pod Series Ivory/Silver ATX Case with 400W PSU
Brand/Model : Generic CAS-452
Form Factor : ATX
PSU : ATX 400W PSII (Horizontal)
Side Window : No
5.25" Bays : 4
3.5" Bays (Exposed) : 2
3.5" Bays (Hidden) : 4
Expansion Slots : 7
Front USB Ports : 2 (USB 2.0)
Front Audio Ports : Yes
Front Firewire Ports : No
Internal Fan Space : Rear 8/9/12 cm , Front 8/9/12cm
Screwless :
Dimensions (wxhxd)-(mm) : 200x412x460
Warranty : 12 Months
Weight (kg) : 3.00
Related resources
November 29, 2006 7:50:56 PM

bundled cpu? where did i say that?

anyway, is this the case your getting?
http://www.eclipse-computers.com/product.aspx?code=CA-XAPOD-SI

if so, the fact its £19.95 screams that it has a crap psu bundled, and it probably wont support your system. even if it does, its still junk, and when it dies its going to take all you components with it.

get something like this its worth the extra cash. mobo looks fine, i dont like ECS, but it'll do.
November 29, 2006 7:55:47 PM

hmmm if it is the PSU that is an issue than can i get a case of my choice and looke for a 550w PSU in general? only the one you linked is a little too expensive for my budget.

if so would any normal casing fit a seperate PSU or would i have to make sure measurements fits?

thx for help loads, sory to keep on bothering
November 29, 2006 8:03:33 PM

yeah, any case should fit a normal psu. (besides small form factor ones like Micro ATX)

but NEVER. EVER. EVER. SKIMP ON THE PSU!!! thats the most important rule when building a system.
November 29, 2006 8:17:23 PM

What exactly is your budget? This will help others give you some recommendations.

It might be better to get an E6400 and a better video card if you are interested in gaming.
November 30, 2006 3:06:42 PM

well i am interested in gaming and running fairly intensive apps. From what i gathered the card i chose was very well liked.

and what would be considered skimping on the psu? how much should i spend and how much wattage shouold i get?
November 30, 2006 3:51:06 PM

Quote:
and what would be considered skimping on the psu? how much should i spend and how much wattage shouold i get?

Getting a no name brand or using a psu in a cheap case (or an case, bundled psu's are rarely any good.) A good 450w psu will be enough for your system, but make sure it has enough amps (18 preferably) on the +12v rail , thats more important then wattage most of the time. A couple of good psu makers are Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, PC P&C, SeaSonic, and Silverstone. A quality psu for your system will probably run about $75-80 at the cheapest.
November 30, 2006 3:56:19 PM

NEW and Improved SmartPower 2.0 fulfills the demands of today's computer users.
The NEW SmartPower 2.0 is ATX12V v2.0 compliant, with dual+12V rails, 4 serial ATA connectors, and Antec's Unique Dual Fans Design for virtually silent operation. All SmartPower 2.0 power supplies carry UL, CUL, TÜV, CB, FCC Class B, CE and CCC certified safety approvals.

# ATX12V version 2.0
# Dual 12V output circuitry provides added system stability and meets 240VA UL requirements and safety purpose: 12V1 for Motherboard and peripherals; 12V2 for processor
# ATX12V v2.0 compliance allows SmartPower 2.0 to consume up to 25% less power than standard power supplies, saving you money on your electric bill. 24-pin power connector with detachable 4-pin section for backwards compatibility with ATX 20-pin motherboards.
# 4 SATA Connectors support Serial ATA optical drives
# Flow-through dual 80mm fans (one intake and one exhaust)
# Unique Dual Fans Technology: exhaust fan starts to spin when the power supply reaches certain temperatures to ensure proper airflow, the second fan spins on power up
# Industrial grade protection prevents damage resulting from short circuits, power overloads, excessive current, low voltages and excessive voltages
# Increased 12V output capability for system components that consume more power from 12V rail
# PCI-E graphic connector
# Safety approvals: UL, CUL, TUV, CB, FCC Class B, CE, CCC
# Increased MTBF: 80,000 hours
# Size: 6.1"(L) x 5.9" (D) x 3.4" (H)
# PF value greater than 90% (EU only)
# Gold plated connector for superior conductivity

Item Code : PSA-SP450P
Item : Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450P 450W Active PFC PSU
Brand/Model : Antec SP-450P
Input Voltage : 115 VAC/230VAC
Total Output Wattage : 450W
Power Switch : ATX Logic on-off, additional power rocker switch
5.25" Device Power Connectors : 4 SATA
3.5" Device Power Connectors :
Monitor (IEC) Follow-through Power Connector : No
Weight (kg) : 3.00
Price : £37.95

---------------------------
Will that do the job?

and i forgot to ask. where would be a nice place to give me a guide into building my own system? and if i decided to extend upon my pc in later years would it mean getting a new PSU?

and last but not least. what about the actually system? will it run good and be compatible? will it be quick etc.?
November 30, 2006 4:17:34 PM

I personally dislike ECS products... but hey, if it works for you why should I care?
November 30, 2006 4:19:14 PM

but what about the PSU and my previous questions.
November 30, 2006 4:49:23 PM

Quote:
and i forgot to ask. where would be a nice place to give me a guide into building my own system? and if i decided to extend upon my pc in later years would it mean getting a new PSU?

and last but not least. what about the actually system? will it run good and be compatible? will it be quick etc.?

that psu doesnt have enough amps on the +12v rail, and the smartpower line of psu's is antec's lower end line. I found another one that will easily support your system thats $87.50 USD, so about £44.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256001

the system looks fine and will run well, and i know of a few guides, ill try to find 'em in my mountain of bookmarks.
November 30, 2006 4:54:21 PM

cheers m8, you have bee more help than you could imagine. Im going to start anbother thread for advice on how it qwill run etc.
November 30, 2006 4:56:24 PM

that psu has a fan on top? would that not mean getting a specific case?
November 30, 2006 4:59:26 PM

nah, most cases should have enough room for the fan to funtion properly. but which case where you thinking of getting?
November 30, 2006 5:01:08 PM

Quote:
that psu has a fan on top? would that not mean getting a specific case?

No, the fan will point towards the bottom.
November 30, 2006 5:04:42 PM

hmmm considering i went a little extra on the Psu i guess the cheaper but sexy looking case the better. i ahve been considering some re vamps on my spec but i will find a case and re compile it in another thread so its a bit tidyer lol.
!