Sign in with
Your question

Need help deciding what 8800GTS to get

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2006 8:14:51 PM

What would be the best brand to get I was thinking ASUS or XFX?

would the Asus work better with my motherboard?

anyone know how long the 8800GTS card is?

any help would be great

here is my computer

XP Pro
Thermaltake W0101RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 550W Power Supply
AMD X2 4200+ Dual Core CPU
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2 GB OCZ Ram
EVGA Geforce 7800 GTX 256 MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 4
Plextor DVDR PX-716A
Maxtor 6L300SO 300GB SATA
Western Digital WD3200KS-00PFB0 320GB SATA 3.0
Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor
Bose 2.1 Speakers
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Case

More about : deciding 8800gts

November 29, 2006 8:18:24 PM

XFX has a double lifetime warranty, meaning this:

If you sell or give the card away to someone, they too have a full lifetime warranty.

If you resell your old components on eBay, this is a priceless feature.
November 29, 2006 8:49:25 PM

Between the two, I would agree. Go with the XFX.

There will be no performance difference between these two, even if the card and motherboard are from the same manufacturer.

The GTS is 9 inches long.

Quote:
Card Size: 9 inch length, 4.97 inch width, 1.43 inch height

(Source: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=442&mode...)
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2006 9:14:22 PM

eVGA has a lifetime warranty also, a 90 day trade-up program, and comes with the game Dark Messiah.
November 29, 2006 10:06:45 PM

Yes but what's the likelihood eVGA will have a better card (other than the GTX) in only 90 days? I believe theirs is only a single lifetime warranty. And who's ever heard of Dark Messiah (I haven't anyway)?

But the eVGA is $10 cheaper.
November 29, 2006 10:43:30 PM

I suggest the EVGA. They also have the double lifetime warranty, the 90 day trade up program and the game Dark Messiah is really good.

Dark Messiah
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2006 10:58:43 PM

Dark Messiah is like Oblivion. I won't be buying it as finishing Oblivion would already take more time than I can afford. But I hear it's a good game.

As far as the trade up program, I agree with ya it's not a huge bonus. Not a bad option to have, but often the cards you want to upgrade to are out of stock (8800GTS and GTX both out of stock right now from eVGA). I know the 7900GT and GTX were out of stock back when I could have traded my 7800GT CO. For me that was a blessing in disguise as the 7800GT was rock solid and they had so many issues with the 7900GT's from the start. As far as a new card, I would not be surprised if NV releases an 8800 refresh within 90 days from now, all depends whether R600 takes the crown or not. But anyway, when street prices are above MSRP, then grabbing an eVGA upgrade at retail price (before the sell out), is a nice option to have, although not worth paying more for the option.

Do you really think you'll get a significant amount more selling a used XFX card. I doubt it. If the warranty lasts 1 lifetime it's good enough for me. ;) 
November 30, 2006 3:25:12 PM

Quote:
I suggest the EVGA. They also have the double lifetime warranty

Quote:
For our retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products purchased on or after June 22, 2005, EVGA will provide a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each retail product that the product will not suffer, in material or workmanship, from any defect that adversely affects the performance of the product. This lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:

It's not double lifetime. Pauldh and djplanet were right, it's only lifetime for the original purchaser.

That said, both cards give you a lifetime warranty, as long as you register your card on their site. So both are good options.

The important differences: EVGA's GTS is ten dollars cheaper (at newegg) and comes with a good game. And it might be easier to sell an XFX, if you plan to sell your card eventually, as long as you use the transferable warranty as a selling point.

Between these two, I'd go for the free game at $10 savings.

edit: Woops here are the warranty links: EVGA XFX
November 30, 2006 3:47:45 PM

eVGA, definitely. Their warranty covers overclocking and changing the cooler on the card. Assuming there's no physical damage, you're allowed to file a warranty claim with a card you've overclocked or on which you've tried to switch the cooler.
November 30, 2006 9:15:42 PM

Thx for clarifying... I knew I was right! ;-)
!