Nvidia Entering the Bundle Race with a F2P Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabZDK

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
But wait, ain't this like 3 days later??

The bundle seems ok, but I would like to be able to decide in which game I spend the cash, I don't play World of Tanks, and being able to use that money instead in Planetside 2 would be really good

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
[citation][nom]GabZDK[/nom]But wait, ain't this like 3 days later??The bundle seems ok, but I would like to be able to decide in which game I spend the cash, I don't play World of Tanks, and being able to use that money instead in Planetside 2 would be really good[/citation]

That's just way too much work for the company. You get credit for all 3 anyway

G

Free games????? Why don't they just bundle their cards with Steam lololol.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I can't stop laughing. They should have just waited because there are some good games being release in the upcoming months, unless they didn't want to shell out the bread. The choices are just too minor to get the juices flowing. Not mine of course ;)

[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Though it would be really funny if they tried to bundle the games themselves.... I would get a good laugh out of that[/citation]

Agreed :lol: At first, that's what I thought they were doing when I read about this and I was thinking WTF? to myself until I read the article.

anham

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Really Nvidia? If I want to play f2play games I'll just go get them. If I get invested in the game I'll drop however much I feel is reasonable; for personalization & to support the game. If a developer can afford to give away $25 then the game probably has a payment structure that would keep me from wanting to play it in the first place. If u need to put in money to be competitive then it's a waste of time to consider & I'll just get something like it via the traditional pay up front way. And when I do the price will probably be about $25. The same $25 that is about how much I anticipate putting into a f2play game when I first start it up, if I like it. I'm not going to be "nickel & dimed" for things I need or struggle without, & free $25 or even $50 to spend on a game that treats that as just an introductory amount is not going to entice me.

I imagine Nvidia did this because it was easier to negotiate than a bundle like AMD's. It probably doesn't cost Nvidia much if anything if the end user doesn't follow through on the offer, yet a gamer might look at it & think "Sure, I'll give those a try, so long as they're free."

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i love how people seam to have no idea what pay to win means anymore.
oh this game has a item shop, pay to win
planet side 2, you can buy weapons, pay to win (no weapon is clearly better than the others, its a trade off nomatter what)

i cant speak to hawken as... is that game even out yet?
and world of tanks... never found it intresting.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Is nvidia serious ??? offering f2p game creds instead of just well free games . this is shallow offerings when compared to amd offering free games that arn't even released yet (BS-infinity and Tomb raider). jsut wow they think this is competition.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i love how people seam to have no idea what pay to win means anymore. oh this game has a item shop, pay to winplanet side 2, you can buy weapons, pay to win (no weapon is clearly better than the others, its a trade off nomatter what) i cant speak to hawken as... is that game even out yet? and world of tanks... never found it intresting.[/citation]

hawken is out (open beta) , ask me though Mechwarrior online is better (also in open beta). Hwken is to much like fpser while MWO is more my style being an actual simultor game. neither of them are pay to win, both only charge for cosmetic items. in MWO they do sell hero mechs but they arn't pay to win. I blow the s-- out of hero mechs all the time with any one of my regular mechs I've bought with game currency.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Should I be embarrassed that I have never heard of these 3 games?

Anyone know of some quasi-in-depth studies on free-to-play games and monetization of players? I mean, TF2 and items/hats seems to have been a success; but what about lesser-publicized games that were always F2P (vs. previously-paid and turned F2P)? Just curious.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
From that bundle the only title worth spending money its Planetside. And even then, without spending a cent you can get an excellent experience if you know how to massively team play. And EVEN THEN! Planetside is fun, okay, but their code is a disaster, dudes with 680s and i7s cant get over 60 fps with high settings, their particles are waaay to abusive to the hardware, same as their filters... its not a good engine.

So, nVidia, in the end of things is selling free stuff.
Jeez.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]edgewood112358[/nom]Yay Competition! This is capitalism at it's best![/citation]

It's two companies competing in a dying market. It's like republicans and democrats. Get rid of the oligarchy/two-party system and come up with something that represents the average American.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]hawken is out (open beta) , ask me though Mechwarrior online is better (also in open beta). Hwken is to much like fpser while MWO is more my style being an actual simultor game. neither of them are pay to win, both only charge for cosmetic items. in MWO they do sell hero mechs but they arn't pay to win. I blow the s-- out of hero mechs all the time with any one of my regular mechs I've bought with game currency.[/citation]

the way i always see it is the only way a game is pay to win is if you suck. i have yet to go into a fps or 3ps where i cant compete with people at the high end of the leaderboards,

yea i get that pay 2 wins deffinition is that you can buy power with cash, and cash only.
take this as an example

you have a 100 dmg gun, you can rank up and get the 1000 dmg gun, but even if you have the mony you cant equip it till you hit the rank to use it.

but if you use cash, you can get that 1000 dmg gun, and be able to use it at whatever rank you want...

or lets say that 1000 dmg gun is the most powerful and clearly the best, and the only way to get it is to pay real money.

those are pay to win models...

i cant speak to blacklight retrobution because i didn't play it sense it went out of beta, but there its cosmetic things and trade offs, with little being clearly better than each other,

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the way i always see it is the only way a game is pay to win is if you suck. i have yet to go into a fps or 3ps where i cant compete with people at the high end of the leaderboards, yea i get that pay 2 wins deffinition is that you can buy power with cash, and cash only. take this as an exampleyou have a 100 dmg gun, you can rank up and get the 1000 dmg gun, but even if you have the mony you cant equip it till you hit the rank to use it. but if you use cash, you can get that 1000 dmg gun, and be able to use it at whatever rank you want...or lets say that 1000 dmg gun is the most powerful and clearly the best, and the only way to get it is to pay real money.those are pay to win models... i cant speak to blacklight retrobution because i didn't play it sense it went out of beta, but there its cosmetic things and trade offs, with little being clearly better than each other,[/citation]

oh dude i understand what pay to win is , really there are so few pay to win games these days

my issue is with any f2p game that sells any Non cosmetic items (not countign inventory slots as all f2p's sell inventory slots. in part this does extend to MWO and it's hero mechs , but given how mechwarrior work with mech variants , it's not such a bad issue on that game to me.

Mianly i dislike them selling weapons or non cosmetic armors , granted some sell weapons that make no real impact of who does better , but it still gets on my nerves.

The best f2p ecosystem i ever saw , was Star trek online. their exhcange system in the game allows you to trade an in game resource (dilithium) for real world cash points that other mmo's only sell , so in theory you could buy tons of stuff in the game shop and never spend one real red cent (would take a lot of grinding i know cos i have bougth several outfits for my characters as well as a few of the non standard ships doing this dilithium tradeing).

Status
Not open for further replies.