Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.outlook.general (More info?)

I would like to schedule Microsoft Outlook to close at midnight, and restart
at 2:00AM.
I have my pst file on a server that reboots during that period.

Is this possible?

Matthew

"Matthew" <turn.deletethis@alltel.net> wrote in message
> I would like to schedule Microsoft Outlook to close at midnight, and
> restart at 2:00AM.
> I have my pst file on a server that reboots during that period.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Matthew

See

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Matthew wrote:
> I would like to schedule Microsoft Outlook to close at midnight, and
> restart at 2:00AM.
> I have my pst file on a server that reboots during that period.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Matthew

In addition to the other replies, note that using a PST file on a network
connected drive is not supported by MS and will likely cause problems -
performance will suffer, and you may experience data corruption. Also, if
you're on a network, why not log out at night anyway?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.outlook.general (More info?)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Matthew wrote:
>> I would like to schedule Microsoft Outlook to close at midnight, and
>> restart at 2:00AM.
>> I have my pst file on a server that reboots during that period.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> Matthew
>
> In addition to the other replies, note that using a PST file on a network
> connected drive is not supported by MS and will likely cause problems -
> performance will suffer, and you may experience data corruption. Also, if
> you're on a network, why not log out at night anyway?

Thanks for the warning.
I'll put the .pst file back on the local computer like it's supposed to be.
I don't like corrupt data ;-)

Matthew

Matthew wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:eg8iUgP8EHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Matthew wrote:
>>> I would like to schedule Microsoft Outlook to close at midnight, and
>>> restart at 2:00AM.
>>> I have my pst file on a server that reboots during that period.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?
>>>
>>> Matthew
>>
>> In addition to the other replies, note that using a PST file on a
>> network connected drive is not supported by MS and will likely cause
>> problems - performance will suffer, and you may experience data
>> corruption. Also, if you're on a network, why not log out at night
>> anyway?
>>

> Thanks for the warning.
> I'll put the .pst file back on the local computer like it's supposed
> to be. I don't like corrupt data ;-)

No, nor do I!
You can always use a batch file & robocopy or xcopy or something similar to
copy the PST file to your home directory (with Outlook closed) via task
scheduler....use your domain/server credentials. That way, there's a backup.

> Matthew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.outlook.general (More info?)

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 03:50:07 -0600, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP"
<franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in microsoft.public.outlook.general:

>"Matthew" <turn.deletethis@alltel.net> wrote in message
>> I would like to schedule Microsoft Outlook to close at midnight, and
>> restart at 2:00AM.
>> I have my pst file on a server that reboots during that period.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> Matthew
>
>See

Frank: Not very helpful, especially since the OP posted indeed to one of
the above.

Matthew: Several methods - brute force killing the application, or some
sort of scripted GUI control. Microsoft used to have ScriptIt (NT4
Resource Kit, I believe), but it seems they have discontinued it. These
days, many people recommend AutoIt (<http://www.autoitscript.com/>).

"Michael Bednarek" <ROT13-zo@zorqanerx.pbz> wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 03:50:07 -0600, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP"
> <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in microsoft.public.outlook.general:
>
>> "Matthew" <turn.deletethis@alltel.net> wrote in message
>>> I would like to schedule Microsoft Outlook to close at midnight, and
>>> restart at 2:00AM.
>>> I have my pst file on a server that reboots during that period.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?
>>>
>>> Matthew
>>
>> See
>
> Frank: Not very helpful, especially since the OP posted indeed to one
> of the above.
>
> Matthew: Several methods - brute force killing the application, or
> some sort of scripted GUI control. Microsoft used to have ScriptIt
> (NT4 Resource Kit, I believe), but it seems they have discontinued
> it. These days, many people recommend AutoIt
> (<http://www.autoitscript.com/>).

Sorry. I didn't look at that.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.outlook.general (More info?)

Matthew <turn.deletethis@alltel.net> wrote:

> I'll put the .pst file back on the local computer like it's supposed
> to be. I don't like corrupt data ;-)

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

> You can always use a batch file & robocopy or xcopy or something
> similar to copy the PST file to your home directory (with Outlook
> closed) via task scheduler....use your domain/server credentials.
> That way, there's a backup.

Just make sure that whenever you copy the PST that Outlook is closed.
Otherwise you can get an incomplete copy and an unusable backup.
--
Brian Tillman