Sign in with
Your question

Stock cpu fan not running all the time

Last response: in Overclocking
November 30, 2006 1:29:45 AM

system is a gigabyte s3 with a c2d 2.13 ghz and stock fan with stock heatsink material. It's in a desktop case with no cover inside of a 2 foot wide by 3 foot deep by 2 foot tall cabinet. I am looking at it right now and it's not running is this normal, I would think it should be running all the time. It seems to run for about 2 minutes and then stops for 20 seconds and then restarts. Sometimes the computer will just turn itself off. I check the temps in the bios and it's at like 70 degrees C, I slide out the shelf I built for it and the fan kicks on and cools down to approx. 38 degrees pretty quickly. I have a exhaust fan pulling air out of the cabinet but it does get pretty warm in there. Thoughts
November 30, 2006 1:59:21 AM

It is restarting because of the high temps. I would suggest taking it out of the boiler room (cabinet) and giving it some fresh air to breath.

I am unsure why the fan stops spinning and restarts? Only time I saw this is when a P4 630 kept throttling due to a bad mount and when the CPU throttled the fan stopped for some odd reason.

70C in the BIOS is pretty toasty, full load is going to be much higher and it should shutdown before that point.
November 30, 2006 2:11:35 AM

danger will robinson
danger will robinson
danger will robinson
Related resources
November 30, 2006 2:15:44 AM

Lol my dad always says that. I'm too young to have seen the show, but it is a good memory of how much I miss my family back at home :(  (in college) Got myself a new puppy (Golden Lab) a month into summer and am missing him growing up! /end randomness
November 30, 2006 2:25:03 AM

My guess is that there is either a problem with the heatsink fan or its connection, or worse, there is a problem with the motherboard. Check the wire to make sure its in solid. If it continues and you have a spare heatsink fan, try that one. If a different fan still has the problem, its probably the motherboard.

70c is too hot. To put it differently, I just ran 3DMark06 and my cpu temp crawled all the way up to 41c. If you don't do something soon, you'll have more than the fan to think about.
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2006 2:54:31 AM

make sure there is no fan control options in the bios?

Get a adapter to plug it in to the power supply....that will make it go full speed all the time :) 
November 30, 2006 2:59:47 AM

yeah I agree with nuke check out the fan speed control, make sure its not in legacy mode I've heard that can cause problems.

If I remember correctly(probably dont) disabling the fan speed control on S3's make the fan run flat out all the time, check your manaul/watch the fan to make sure of that though.

Obviously somethings wrong, But once it sorted you may want put the covers back on your case often they actually run hotter with out covers.

Less dust will get in at least.

Check the fan connection like Sailer suggested too.
November 30, 2006 5:38:00 AM

Quote:
My guess is that there is either a problem with the heatsink fan or its connection, or worse, there is a problem with the motherboard.

That sounds scary! It's a gigabyte motherboard, not some asus crap .... if THAT can break, nothing's safe.
November 30, 2006 5:42:56 AM

Quote:
My guess is that there is either a problem with the heatsink fan or its connection, or worse, there is a problem with the motherboard.

That sounds scary! It's a gigabyte motherboard, not some asus crap .... if THAT can break, nothing's safe.

Now, now. I've had better luck using ASUS than any other brand that I have tried through several years. All motherboard companies have their failures, and some more than others. Troubles that I've seen usually come when someone buys a cheaper model from any company and then wonders why it doesn't perform like something expensive.
November 30, 2006 6:00:25 AM

Well I have no doubt that the deluxe versions of asus are decent, but what I had in mind was reliability, not performance.
Personally I've always been dissappointed with asus boards for one or the other reason. Of all manufacturers they're the laziest when it comes to layouts. They ALWAYS place something wrongly. Anyhow, again it was reliability I meant in the first one. And of all the boards that I've seen doa asus has the record. Think I've seen two dead asus boards this year alone. The other board which seemed doa was a msi neo - but that wasn't doa, but got killed by a faulty psu.

Anyhow, my point is. Gigabyte produce quality, while asus main concern is feature rich boards in huge quantities.... I don't know average fail rates on motherboards, but asus sure won't be in the high end of the mtbf list. (mind you, ecs will likely score lowest with their incredibly unstable boards, but at least everybody knows that)
November 30, 2006 2:09:24 PM

I plugged the fan into the sys fan socket and it's running all the time now, temps at 24 degrees. Will check on the bios settings for fan control. Thanks guys for all the help. BTW it won't hurt anything having it plugged it to the sys fan socket will it.
December 1, 2006 1:16:21 AM

Good to hear. Is that with it inside the cabinet?

No, it is fine to run it in whichever fan header you want. Just disable anything regarding CPU fan speed control in the BIOS or any low RPM beeps/shutdowns and you are good to go!

Seems it was just a bad fan header.
!