Lighting Question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 4, 2004 11:31:33 PM

What type of indoor lighting or bulb would be
similar to outdoor natural light? I am trying to
optimize my lighting for webcam use.

More about : lighting question

August 4, 2004 11:31:34 PM

My suggestion is to find a "near daylight" compact flourescent bulb to
put beside, above or near the webcam. I think they can be ordered near
5500K.

Daylight Balanced Bulbs

The best way to reduce or eliminate the need to color correct images is
to use color corrected light bulbs as the light source. Both
incandescent and fluorescent bulbs are available in color corrected
versions.*/ We recommend using daylight balanced, compact fluorescent
bulbs./* These bulbs will normally fit standard light fixtures but
produce three to four times as much light compared to incandescent light
bulbs using the same amount of energy. And since the compact fluorescent
bulbs use much less energy they operate much cooler than incandescent
bulbs. Daylight balanced compact fluorescent bulbs are more difficult to
find than standard bulbs and they typically cost $15 to $25 each.
However, they are by far the easiest light source to work with. The
higher initial cost of these bulbs is offset by the fact that the bulbs
last for thousands of hours and use so little electricity.

Don’t mix light sources

When using multiple light sources it is important to make sure all the
lamps have the same color balance. As we mentioned above, it is possible
to correct for some color distortions with a camera’s white balance or
with imaging software. However, it is nearly impossible to correct for
color problems caused by using multiple light sources.

This means that if you are using daylight, use only daylight. Don’t use
window light and then supplement it with artificial light. When using
artificial lights, all the lights must have the same color balance.
Don’t mix incandescent lights with fluorescent lights. And even when
using only incandescent or only fluorescent bulbs, make sure all the
bulbs have the same color balance. (Different size bulbs can be used,
but the color output of their light should be identical).

Unless you have a specific creative reason for doing so, using bulbs
with different color balance on the same subject is likely to lead to
undesirable results. Sometimes the light colors are mixed inadvertently.
For example if overhead incandescent lights left on while shooting an
image with daylight balance bulbs. Some of the light from the overhead
lights may “leak” onto the image.

Some typical color temperatures are:

1500 k Candlelight
2680 k 40 W incandescent lamp
3000 k 200 W incandescent lamp
3200 k Sunrise/sunset
3400 k Tungsten lamp
3400 k 1 hour from dusk/dawn
5000-4500 k Xenon lamp/light arc
5500 k Sunny daylight around noon
5500-5600 k Electronic photo flash
6500-7500 k Overcast sky
9000-12000 k Blue sky

Radio Man wrote:

>What type of indoor lighting or bulb would be
>similar to outdoor natural light? I am trying to
>optimize my lighting for webcam use.

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:09:06 AM

Perhaps a light source with a high CRI (Color Rendering Index) 100cri being
ideal , so the higher the cri the better.

In fluorescent there's vitalight , GE Cinema and others that you'll see a
lot of dentists using to match teeth colors and used with digital as well as
film photography.
Sports lighting for TV broadcasting the preferred choice has been Metal
Halide.

Plain old video recorder camera photofloods are really a pretty good choice
but generally you want some umbrella bounce rather than dirty wall/ceiling
reflectance's lighting the work surfaces.

news:p QaQc.17395$QA5.1174@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

!