Will my Comp run 64 bit?

hezitate

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Hey guys,

I am looking to upgrade my computer to Windows 7 64 bit however I need to make sure I will be able to run it without any hiccups before I do so. I just recently upgrade some stuff on my rig and heres what I have..

i5 2400 (3.1 GHz)
GeForce 465 GTX
4GB RAM DDR3

Everywhere I read said that the minimum RAM to run Windows 7 64 bit is 4GB and even right at 4GB some people still get hiccups.

Basically, I'm just looking to clarify if my rig will be able to perform with 64 bit or if I should just go to 32 bit.

Thanks!

Solution
Yes, a Core i5 can run 64-bit Windows.

32-bit Windows is limited to 4GB of memory - in fact you actually only get to use about 3.5GB or so because some of the address space is used up by the video card. So if you have 4GB or more of memory then you really NEED to use 64-bit Windows in order to take advantage of all of it.

But that doesn't mean you can't run 64-bit Windows with less memory - it will run just fine in 2GB, for example.

Atanasov Goran

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
the minimal ram is 1GB probably they said you that can control more memory than 4GB

Becasuse 32bit can't control more than 3.xxGB of ram

so I think that your CPU is 64-bit compatible,
then why you do not try to install a 64bit copy of windows
my opinion i that it will gona be better...

Note: make sure that you have the 64bit drivers for your devices,
and Install the Chipset and nvidia x64bit version drivers...

Yes, a Core i5 can run 64-bit Windows.

32-bit Windows is limited to 4GB of memory - in fact you actually only get to use about 3.5GB or so because some of the address space is used up by the video card. So if you have 4GB or more of memory then you really NEED to use 64-bit Windows in order to take advantage of all of it.

But that doesn't mean you can't run 64-bit Windows with less memory - it will run just fine in 2GB, for example.

Solution

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Any CPU from the last 5 years or so can run a 64-bit OS.
32-bit windows 7: 2GB recommended
64-bit: 2GB minimum, 3-4GB recommended

32-bit limits you to ~3.25GB system RAM, 64-bit limits to some absurd amount that won't be an issue for a LONG time.

TRENDING THREADS