Sign in with
Your question

The worst brand of power supplies on earth...

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 30, 2006 2:09:05 AM

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/inwin-ps...

Conclusion: steer clear of any PSU with the name "In-Win"

More about : worst brand power supplies earth

November 30, 2006 2:37:31 AM

Quote:

actully i belive that the psus that come with emachine (**shudder**) are the worst. they tend to spew smoke and die just a bit after your warrently expires...

*just a note* i DO NOT own an emachines computer, however i have had many clients with this problme**

chris
November 30, 2006 2:43:24 AM

Back in my less intelligent days when I built my 'Cadillac' system (which I'm currently on, I only call it that because it was the first time I bought HQ parts for a build) I paired everything up with a $15 Okia brand (yea I know, try googling that brand) 550W power supply. It worked good for too years with no problems, until it crapped out on the 12V and 5V rails which caused reboots.

Amazingly, my friend went through 3 power supplies and 2 motherboards during the time I had that power supply. While he didn't pay top dollar for his power supplies (probably mid to lower range quality), he had horrible luck. At one point, living in the dorms, we used a power supply that had a burned out fan as a door stop. I was bored one day and replaced the fan. It got kicked around quite a bit and eventually my friend's 2nd PS crapped out. He put the 'refurbished' power supply in his computer and it fired right up. Lasted the longest out of all his power supplies.

Long story short. Don't buy cheap.
Related resources
November 30, 2006 3:05:13 AM

Quote:
Back in my less intelligent days when I built my 'Cadillac' system (which I'm currently on, I only call it that because it was the first time I bought HQ parts for a build) I paired everything up with a $15 Okia brand (yea I know, try googling that brand) 550W power supply. It worked good for too years with no problems, until it crapped out on the 12V and 5V rails which caused reboots.

Amazingly, my friend went through 3 power supplies and 2 motherboards during the time I had that power supply. While he didn't pay top dollar for his power supplies (probably mid to lower range quality), he had horrible luck. At one point, living in the dorms, we used a power supply that had a burned out fan as a door stop. I was bored one day and replaced the fan. It got kicked around quite a bit and eventually my friend's 2nd PS crapped out. He put the 'refurbished' power supply in his computer and it fired right up. Lasted the longest out of all his power supplies.

Long story short. Don't buy cheap.
i agree, i spend a relitivly low $75 (including shipping) on my psu, but i know a guy who spent $400 on his psu...

chris
a c 86 ) Power supply
November 30, 2006 3:10:46 AM

Ouch.....the pain!!!!!

What do you think of OCZ's 700 watt psu's? they are made my FSP.

To this day i have never had ANY power supply die....

Hi-Pro(2) - HP
FSP(2)
Antec(2)
CWT or something(1)
and 2 other HP ones....

I even took some 90watt(HP) one and ran a full system on it....i was surprised....2 video cards 2 cd roms XP1800 @ 1.9, 2 hard drives...i was just trying to kill it.....would not die....
November 30, 2006 3:36:12 AM

2nd to worst: Ultra.

Don't even get me started.......
November 30, 2006 3:43:54 AM

The only power supply I've had die.. was like a no-name.. in fact.. did it have a name? I don't even remember. And it just puttered out, nothing to extreme it just decided one day it didn't have the juice to power up my cpu so I had to go out and get a new one (or steal my bro's old psu from his old computer.. which is newer than my computer oddly).. and it still works to this day.
November 30, 2006 4:19:21 AM

Quote:
2nd to worst: Ultra.

Don't even get me started.......

Actually when we bought my brothers computer it came with an ultra PSU, said it was 400 watts. I take a look later on, and it only delivers 15 amps on the 12 volt rail, much much too low for even his skimpy system (7600gt, sempron 3000, 512 ram, 1 hdd).

Lets just say that he got a new psu.
November 30, 2006 12:24:28 PM

Quote:

Actually the IP numbered models are ok, I have used them in office PC builds. Even xbit labs says this in their conclusion:

Quote:
Xbit Labs"]Among the boxed power supplies from In-Win you should pay attention to the models with the letters IP in their name, too. I can’t say they are interesting products, but they may suit an undemanding user due to their low price. They have acceptable parameters and average level of noise and are surely superior in the quality of manufacture to many even cheaper brands.
[/url]

All manufacturers have thier duds, you don't go to a Ford dealer and buy a Focus when you live on a farm and have to pull a trailer through the mud - you have to get at least the F150.

People mention cooler master is not a good brand for this exact reason and I also 100% dissagree with this because they do have good quality units, you just have to know what specific model you are dealing with.
November 30, 2006 12:59:39 PM

Coolermaster is not a top brand, I'd consider them second tier at best... on par with Hiper and such (Hiper is moving up though, might consider them first tier in a year or two)

Best PSU's... TT, OCZ, FSP, Corsair, Seasonic, Zippy, Targan, Enermax, Silverstone, PC P&C, Antec, and probably a couple others I missed. I know FSP makes OCZ PSU's, and Corsair sources theirs out to Seasonic (I think) but still included them anyways.

But there are also specific lines that are good, and some that are bad. Some of the lower model Antec's are fairly crappy, so are some of the budget TT ones, but the Trio and Toughpower series are very nice in themselves.
November 30, 2006 1:28:53 PM

Taiwanese people don't even know what Ferrari means...
a b ) Power supply
November 30, 2006 2:54:07 PM

I've only bought 3 power supplies in my life. Of the three I think the worst one was the Thermaltake Silent Purepower 420w. It didn't die on me nor did it give me any problems, but when I bought I really didn't do a lot of research and bought it because it was a cheap replacement for my Enermax Whisper 350w PSU. It's not a very quiet PSU in my opinion.

I replaced the Enermax Whisper, because I was adding new components to my PC and back then I didn't know jacksh!t about power consumption. Looking back I don't think I needed to replace it.

I have since educated myself about PSU and power consumption and I am a happy owner of a Seasonic S12 500.
December 3, 2006 1:57:26 AM

I've had nothing but Enermax's and Antecs. The only PSU I've ever had die on me was some cheapo Aspire back in the day that came w/ an OEM system I once had.
December 3, 2006 4:38:16 AM

Yep, loads of crappy psu's out there. We should sticky a list of good ones and bad ones so that people stop asking (not that they will, too lazy).

On my crappy list are
In win
Aspire
Rosewill
Coolmax
Athena
Hipro
Powmax
Raidmax
Xion
... too many to list
December 3, 2006 5:17:43 AM

Get a passport and go visit Taipei.... I think you'll find you have almost as much chance of getting run over by a Ferrari as you have in Houston, or even Sydney...
!