Sign in with
Your question

Any 8800GTX overclocks out there?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 30, 2006 2:37:29 AM

This post might be a little premature.. I've got my GPU to 633 and the memory to 1033. Load GPU temp is about 66 degrees. So far so good, but I'm afraid to go higher as this seems to be largely uncharted territory for the time being!

Anyone else out there got an 800GTX/S o/c to share?

More about : 8800gtx overclocks

December 5, 2006 11:51:11 AM

Heh, you're lucky. Last night I tried OCing mine and it didn't work out too well. I had the core at 637 and memory at 980. According to a lot of sites I looked at, that should be a good 20 mhz below their highest stable clock. Everything seemed fine until my system locked up in the middle of 3dmark01. It just froze and I had to restart.
December 5, 2006 12:35:08 PM

i must have a good core i have been running myn at 650 X 1000 haven't taken the time to try anything higher yet. although i have to set it every time i boot the settings are not saving their is no option to load on every boot.

oh it is an EVGA card
Related resources
December 5, 2006 1:32:23 PM

Just one thing that seems strange to me. Why try and get a tiny bit of extra performance out of your already stupidly pwerfull card. Really is 3 extra frames gonna makes that much diffrence. It like destroys ur warrenty on your nice £450 card!!!

Ive overlcoked my £60 geforce 6600 but a it can overlcok by quite a bit (like an extra 10 frames) and b it actually needs the extra performance!
December 5, 2006 2:06:19 PM

Quote:
Just one thing that seems strange to me. Why try and get a tiny bit of extra performance out of your already stupidly pwerfull card. Really is 3 extra frames gonna makes that much diffrence. It like destroys ur warrenty on your nice £450 card!!!

Ive overlcoked my £60 geforce 6600 but a it can overlcok by quite a bit (like an extra 10 frames) and b it actually needs the extra performance!

you just dont get it. overclocking is not about any tangible increases in performance, its about making your e-penis grow by a huge amount
December 5, 2006 2:48:46 PM

BFGTech already has made a liquid cooled-ready 8800GTX, O/C'd.
December 5, 2006 4:19:41 PM

Quote:

this is why i like evga their warranty covers over clocking along with prity much anything els.
December 5, 2006 6:50:21 PM

Quote:

And clearly you're not familiar with Flight Simulator X. :) 

The application will defeat the best hardware out there for years to come.
December 7, 2006 4:51:57 PM

Quote:

this is why i like evga their warranty covers over clocking along with prity much anything els.

Wow thats a gd deal. Ill definatly EVGA next time i get a card. Then i can oc to my hearts content without the what if it breaks worry!
December 12, 2006 7:20:06 PM

Quote:
This post might be a little premature.. I've got my GPU to 633 and the memory to 1033. Load GPU temp is about 66 degrees. So far so good, but I'm afraid to go higher as this seems to be largely uncharted territory for the time being!

Anyone else out there got an 800GTX/S o/c to share?

I tried 615/950 on my 8800GTX with no problems. That is pretty low though. Is there really no way to make your overclocks permanent???
December 12, 2006 8:02:23 PM

Quote:

I tried 615/950 on my 8800GTX with no problems. That is pretty low though. Is there really no way to make your overclocks permanent???

There is free software available that can be downloaded to tweak the registry so that the O/C occur everytime, but nothing at a firmware level or component level, afaik.
December 12, 2006 8:06:46 PM

Im pretty sure its just watercooled.. but not the o/c version.. Nvidia wont allow partners to o/c.. im pretty sure they will allow it around the time r600 is released though :) 
December 12, 2006 8:34:50 PM

BFGTech products are set to be overclocked. It's a part of their "bragging rights".

Why else sell a card with watercooling capability on it, if not to overclock it?
December 12, 2006 8:53:56 PM

Because it's a toaster at stock...
December 12, 2006 8:58:27 PM

BFG also sells a HSF version that works just fine.

Thus, I ask again, why sell a card with the ability to watercool, if you aren't going to overclock it out of the box?
December 13, 2006 11:27:56 PM

of course its meant to be overclocked.. i was just saying its NOT overclocked from the factory like other bfg cards.. as nvidia wont let its partners overclock the G80.
December 14, 2006 12:11:04 AM

Quote:
Is there really no way to make your overclocks permanent???

i'm assuming you use the new nvidia drivers interface. in order to overclock permanently, i switch to the classic view and manually overclock from there and check the "apply these setting at startup" button, and then click apply to aplly my new setting. if done properly, when you switch back to the new interface, your new clock setting should be displayed under the performance icon, and upon reboots your overclock should remain applied.
December 14, 2006 4:47:04 AM

Ha ha ha -- yes FSX will bring even the most extreme overclocking rig to it's knees -- trust me, it will, not even SLI 8800GTX and 5-6Ghz X6800's will help. Partly because FSX doesn't work well with SLI and partly becuase Microslope tossed out a product simply that got them from A to B with a profit.

Artist's renditions of what FSX might look like in DX10 is a pretty clear sign of just how bad FSX really is. Multi-core support is virtually brain dead in FSX and their attempt to retain FS9 add-on compatibility has seriously turned FSX into a $70 screen saver.

Regardless, my DD waterblock is on it's way. My overclocking attempt with the 8800GTX seem limited to 622/1000 on stock air cooler (even then a long gaming session can sometimes crash it). BTW, the performance gains even from moderate overclocking of the 8800GTX are pretty significant, not just 2-3 fps. It seems to respond better (in terms of performance) to memory increases over GPU increases.

My 3DMark05 on X1950XTX were 16000, for the 8800GTX 19200 but I haven't pushed the overclocking limits of the 8800 yet. Not a huge increase over the X1950XTX, but it is noticeable in the real world.

Rob.
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2006 7:26:04 PM

Quote:
Is there really no way to make your overclocks permanent???

i'm assuming you use the new nvidia drivers interface. in order to overclock permanently, i switch to the classic view and manually overclock from there and check the "apply these setting at startup" button, and then click apply to aplly my new setting. if done properly, when you switch back to the new interface, your new clock setting should be displayed under the performance icon, and upon reboots your overclock should remain applied.

Drivers for my 8800GTS will not let me use the clasic interface :( 
I miss it, so easy to use.

BTW

Tryed oc'in my GTS to GTX stock speeds.
Wouldn't even finish one full 3d mark '06 pass before locking up.

Going to try again once I am done bumping my e6600.

Anyone else with the GTS got any numbers for me to shoot for??

UPDATE

C2D 100% Stable at 3.3GHz
Testing 8800GTS @ 630/920
Using ATI Tools .026
Sofar stable
Think I can squeeze a little more out of it

E-Penis = Bigger :lol: 
December 20, 2006 1:45:20 PM

Quote:

Wow thats a gd deal. Ill definatly EVGA next time i get a card. Then i can oc to my hearts content without the what if it breaks worry!

it is unusual for a card to stop working because of over clocking but it seams my card bit the dust my replacement is arriving today i am mounting a 120 mm fan behind it to blow fresh air over it at all times to keep the card cooler.
December 21, 2006 12:03:51 PM

got the new card in and over clocked it to 650 X 1000 running stable with full load at 65C with the 120 mm fan blowing through it out of the back of the case through the open expansion slot windows. played bf2 fro 3 hours and was flat lined at 56C. what do you people use to stress test your cards i could a nice little app don't have line but will post it when i find it.
December 21, 2006 2:52:53 PM

Quote:
got the new card in and over clocked it to 650 X 1000 running stable with full load at 65C with the 120 mm fan blowing through it out of the back of the case through the open expansion slot windows. played bf2 fro 3 hours and was flat lined at 56C. what do you people use to stress test your cards i could a nice little app don't have line but will post it when i find it.

650 wow! A review I read overclocked about 6 different versions of the 8800GTX and the highest they got was low 630's with the evga card that has the special cooler. The rest of the cards toped out in the low 620's.
December 21, 2006 3:56:18 PM

Quote:

http://www.learn2type.com/
December 21, 2006 4:13:56 PM

I've got the Danger Den waterblock on my 8800GTX and use two methods to stress test:

1. 2 hour session in FSX
2. 5 loops of 3DMark05

Be sure to monitor 3DMark05 (at least one loop) as I've got the card running 666/1100 but noticed some artifacts that shouldn't be there during the test.

To make FSX "stable" with no artifacts I had to drop the card down to 637/1020.

Idle is 38c -- load is 45c

Rob.
December 21, 2006 4:22:03 PM

Quote:

And clearly you're not familiar with Flight Simulator X. :) 

The application will defeat the best hardware out there for years to come.

CPU bottlenecked, not graphics! They chose to make it so it would only utilize 1 core :-\
December 21, 2006 4:46:59 PM

FSX has a lot of bottle necks, and my X6800 @ 3.9Ghz with an FSB at over 1500Mhz still isn't enough for it. Also, FSX does NOT make use of SLI -- another BIG mistake from the developers at Redmond.

But that appears to be the norm from Redmond these days, lots of buggy and slow software (Vista comes to mind @ $400 for the OS) -- hence why I have a Mac Pro that is fully 64bit with 8GB of RAM and XPlane 8.5 on it -- BTW XPlane on the Mac Pro can and does use more than one CPU and at 2550 x 1600 it is silky smooth.

Also, big part of the problem is the lack of EFI support in Microsoft's OS's (including Vista 32bit versions) -- Microsoft and motherboard manufactures are still clinging onto the OLD (read VERY OLD circa 1980) BIOS architecture. EFI can provide a much higher level of hardware support and feature rich options and actually make use of the many other features of hardware that current BIOS limitations ignores or can't address.

And now that there is Boot Camp for the Mac Pro and support for high end graphics cards, there is little or no reason to invest any money in a Microsoft only PC. My Windows PC is for tweaking and overclocking and living with the limitations of Microsoft's OS -- it's sorta my experiment station that is used exclusive for testing and games. Real work and a good amount of gaming is all done on my Mac Pro with boot camp.

Rob.
December 22, 2006 12:42:12 PM

Quote:

650 wow! A review I read overclocked about 6 different versions of the 8800GTX and the highest they got was low 630's with the evga card that has the special cooler. The rest of the cards toped out in the low 620's.

ok got the card to 650X 1045 3dmark 06 score at 12043 cpu over clocked to 3.4 ghz core 2 duo on air can go high and will after Christmas zuluman 9500 8 X 424- mem 1.1 ratio pc 6400 corsair Cas4 -p5b delux wifi
December 22, 2006 6:50:59 PM

Does bootcamp allow you to run FSX on your Mac? I wonder if I could get FSX to run on RedHat. I shudder to think what would be required to pull that off, though.
December 22, 2006 8:32:01 PM

Boot Camp allows you to run whatever you like on your Mac Pro without going thru any "emulation" -- actually there is a little emulation, as the EFI has to switch in an emulated BIOS mode. What you get is a machine ready to run WinXP or Vista ... and yes, you can load ATI's latest drivers for the X1900XT just as you would in Windows and any other drivers you might need for whatever PCI-E cards you have installed or connected via USB/Firewire.

You don't get performance hits under Boot Camp because you aren't running emulation (thanks to Intel processors and chipset) like you do with VMWare, Parallels, VirtualPC software. Of course, you can't switch OS on the fly (have to reboot and select OS at startup) but you do get 100% compatibility under Boot Camp.

Oh yes, FSX runs just fine under Boot Camp, it's just as slow as it is with my overclocked dedicate WinXP gaming rig. ;) 

Their is also a MacVidia driver hack for the 8800GTX so you can run that card in the Mac Pro also.

Rob.
April 26, 2008 4:41:08 PM

ok so right now
Bfg 8800 gtx 768 at
core at 648
shader at 1500
memory at 1080
fan speed set at 100%(99)

ran through 3dmark06 got just above 12000

I have an extra antec fan strapped to the stock cooler

47C idle load around 56C

don't know if it's stable but i haven't had any problems in crysis, counterstrike, or medieval 2 for hours of play at a time.
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2008 6:31:58 PM

OCZ 8800GTX @ 612/1080 ( = 8800ULTRA )
Idles @ 59c and goes max 74c when heavy gaming
April 26, 2008 6:42:29 PM

:pfff: 

Does ANYBODY check the dates of these threads anymore? :fou: 
!