Any 8800GTX overclocks out there?

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
This post might be a little premature.. I've got my GPU to 633 and the memory to 1033. Load GPU temp is about 66 degrees. So far so good, but I'm afraid to go higher as this seems to be largely uncharted territory for the time being!

Anyone else out there got an 800GTX/S o/c to share?

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Heh, you're lucky. Last night I tried OCing mine and it didn't work out too well. I had the core at 637 and memory at 980. According to a lot of sites I looked at, that should be a good 20 mhz below their highest stable clock. Everything seemed fine until my system locked up in the middle of 3dmark01. It just froze and I had to restart.

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
i must have a good core i have been running myn at 650 X 1000 haven't taken the time to try anything higher yet. although i have to set it every time i boot the settings are not saving their is no option to load on every boot.

oh it is an EVGA card

Black-heart

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Just one thing that seems strange to me. Why try and get a tiny bit of extra performance out of your already stupidly pwerfull card. Really is 3 extra frames gonna makes that much diffrence. It like destroys ur warrenty on your nice £450 card!!!

Ive overlcoked my £60 geforce 6600 but a it can overlcok by quite a bit (like an extra 10 frames) and b it actually needs the extra performance!

nigelf

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Just one thing that seems strange to me. Why try and get a tiny bit of extra performance out of your already stupidly pwerfull card. Really is 3 extra frames gonna makes that much diffrence. It like destroys ur warrenty on your nice £450 card!!!

Ive overlcoked my £60 geforce 6600 but a it can overlcok by quite a bit (like an extra 10 frames) and b it actually needs the extra performance!
you just dont get it. overclocking is not about any tangible increases in performance, its about making your e-penis grow by a huge amount

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

this is why i like evga their warranty covers over clocking along with prity much anything els.

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001

And clearly you're not familiar with Flight Simulator X. :)

The application will defeat the best hardware out there for years to come.

Black-heart

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006

this is why i like evga their warranty covers over clocking along with prity much anything els.

Wow thats a gd deal. Ill definatly EVGA next time i get a card. Then i can oc to my hearts content without the what if it breaks worry!

adonlude

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
This post might be a little premature.. I've got my GPU to 633 and the memory to 1033. Load GPU temp is about 66 degrees. So far so good, but I'm afraid to go higher as this seems to be largely uncharted territory for the time being!

Anyone else out there got an 800GTX/S o/c to share?

I tried 615/950 on my 8800GTX with no problems. That is pretty low though. Is there really no way to make your overclocks permanent???

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I tried 615/950 on my 8800GTX with no problems. That is pretty low though. Is there really no way to make your overclocks permanent???

There is free software available that can be downloaded to tweak the registry so that the O/C occur everytime, but nothing at a firmware level or component level, afaik.

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Im pretty sure its just watercooled.. but not the o/c version.. Nvidia wont allow partners to o/c.. im pretty sure they will allow it around the time r600 is released though :)

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
BFGTech products are set to be overclocked. It's a part of their "bragging rights".

Why else sell a card with watercooling capability on it, if not to overclock it?

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
BFG also sells a HSF version that works just fine.

Thus, I ask again, why sell a card with the ability to watercool, if you aren't going to overclock it out of the box?

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
of course its meant to be overclocked.. i was just saying its NOT overclocked from the factory like other bfg cards.. as nvidia wont let its partners overclock the G80.

jmd749

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Is there really no way to make your overclocks permanent???

i'm assuming you use the new nvidia drivers interface. in order to overclock permanently, i switch to the classic view and manually overclock from there and check the "apply these setting at startup" button, and then click apply to aplly my new setting. if done properly, when you switch back to the new interface, your new clock setting should be displayed under the performance icon, and upon reboots your overclock should remain applied.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ha ha ha -- yes FSX will bring even the most extreme overclocking rig to it's knees -- trust me, it will, not even SLI 8800GTX and 5-6Ghz X6800's will help. Partly because FSX doesn't work well with SLI and partly becuase Microslope tossed out a product simply that got them from A to B with a profit.

Artist's renditions of what FSX might look like in DX10 is a pretty clear sign of just how bad FSX really is. Multi-core support is virtually brain dead in FSX and their attempt to retain FS9 add-on compatibility has seriously turned FSX into a $70 screen saver.

Regardless, my DD waterblock is on it's way. My overclocking attempt with the 8800GTX seem limited to 622/1000 on stock air cooler (even then a long gaming session can sometimes crash it). BTW, the performance gains even from moderate overclocking of the 8800GTX are pretty significant, not just 2-3 fps. It seems to respond better (in terms of performance) to memory increases over GPU increases.

My 3DMark05 on X1950XTX were 16000, for the 8800GTX 19200 but I haven't pushed the overclocking limits of the 8800 yet. Not a huge increase over the X1950XTX, but it is noticeable in the real world.

Rob.

Is there really no way to make your overclocks permanent???

i'm assuming you use the new nvidia drivers interface. in order to overclock permanently, i switch to the classic view and manually overclock from there and check the "apply these setting at startup" button, and then click apply to aplly my new setting. if done properly, when you switch back to the new interface, your new clock setting should be displayed under the performance icon, and upon reboots your overclock should remain applied.

Drivers for my 8800GTS will not let me use the clasic interface :(
I miss it, so easy to use.

BTW

Tryed oc'in my GTS to GTX stock speeds.
Wouldn't even finish one full 3d mark '06 pass before locking up.

Going to try again once I am done bumping my e6600.

Anyone else with the GTS got any numbers for me to shoot for??

UPDATE

C2D 100% Stable at 3.3GHz
Testing 8800GTS @ 630/920
Using ATI Tools .026
Sofar stable
Think I can squeeze a little more out of it

E-Penis = Bigger :lol:

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

Wow thats a gd deal. Ill definatly EVGA next time i get a card. Then i can oc to my hearts content without the what if it breaks worry!

it is unusual for a card to stop working because of over clocking but it seams my card bit the dust my replacement is arriving today i am mounting a 120 mm fan behind it to blow fresh air over it at all times to keep the card cooler.

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
got the new card in and over clocked it to 650 X 1000 running stable with full load at 65C with the 120 mm fan blowing through it out of the back of the case through the open expansion slot windows. played bf2 fro 3 hours and was flat lined at 56C. what do you people use to stress test your cards i could a nice little app don't have line but will post it when i find it.

adonlude

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
got the new card in and over clocked it to 650 X 1000 running stable with full load at 65C with the 120 mm fan blowing through it out of the back of the case through the open expansion slot windows. played bf2 fro 3 hours and was flat lined at 56C. what do you people use to stress test your cards i could a nice little app don't have line but will post it when i find it.

650 wow! A review I read overclocked about 6 different versions of the 8800GTX and the highest they got was low 630's with the evga card that has the special cooler. The rest of the cards toped out in the low 620's.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

http://www.learn2type.com/

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got the Danger Den waterblock on my 8800GTX and use two methods to stress test:

1. 2 hour session in FSX
2. 5 loops of 3DMark05

Be sure to monitor 3DMark05 (at least one loop) as I've got the card running 666/1100 but noticed some artifacts that shouldn't be there during the test.

To make FSX "stable" with no artifacts I had to drop the card down to 637/1020.

Idle is 38c -- load is 45c

Rob.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

And clearly you're not familiar with Flight Simulator X. :)

The application will defeat the best hardware out there for years to come.

CPU bottlenecked, not graphics! They chose to make it so it would only utilize 1 core :-\

TRENDING THREADS