Windows XP Upgrade

Hi

Does anyone know why I am having difficulty upgrading from Windows 2000 to
XP Home? The error message is telling me that there isn't an upgrade path.

--

Many thanks
JD

In news:24826B78-7E5F-45DC-A7BF-41B1DF1A835A@microsoft.com,
Jackie D <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Does anyone know why I am having difficulty upgrading from
> Windows
> 2000 to XP Home? The error message is telling me that there
> isn't an
> upgrade path.

That's correct. Because Windows 2000 is Windows 2000
*Professional*, moving from it to XP Home is considered a
downgrade, and isn't supported. You can upgrade to XP
Professional, but not XP Home.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi

That's because you can't upgrade from Win2k to XP Home - you have to upgrade
to XP Pro:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know why I am having difficulty upgrading from Windows 2000 to
> XP Home? The error message is telling me that there isn't an upgrade path.
>

> --
>

> Many thanks
> JD

I didn't know that. Thanks for your help.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> That's because you can't upgrade from Win2k to XP Home - you have to upgrade
> to XP Pro:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Does anyone know why I am having difficulty upgrading from Windows 2000 to
> > XP Home? The error message is telling me that there isn't an upgrade path.
> >

> > --
> >

> > Many thanks
> > JD

If you bought the XP Home upgrade and the store didn't know
they owe you a full refund and credit toward the purchase of
the XP Pro upgrade. That assuming you told them you had W2K
and want to upgrade to XP.

Otherwise you can sell the XP Home, with all materials it
came with to somebody (eBay) and buy an XP Pro upgrade.

|I didn't know that. Thanks for your help.
|
| "Will Denny" wrote:
|
| > Hi
| >
| > That's because you can't upgrade from Win2k to XP Home -
you have to upgrade
| > to XP Pro:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

| > --
| >

| > Will Denny
| > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
| > Please reply to the News Groups
| >

| > "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

| > > Hi
| > >
| > > Does anyone know why I am having difficulty upgrading
from Windows 2000 to
| > > XP Home? The error message is telling me that there
isn't an upgrade path.

| > > --
| > >

| > > Many thanks
| > > JD

Hi Jim

'The goods have to be fit for the purpose for which they are intended for' -
legally applies here in the UK. Whether that applies elsewhere or not, I
don't know. Agreed, if the OP stated that Win2k was to be upgraded, then
the supplier is at fault.

--

> If you bought the XP Home upgrade and the store didn't know
> they owe you a full refund and credit toward the purchase of
> the XP Pro upgrade. That assuming you told them you had W2K
> and want to upgrade to XP.
>
> Otherwise you can sell the XP Home, with all materials it
> came with to somebody (eBay) and buy an XP Pro upgrade.

> "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> |I didn't know that. Thanks for your help.
> |
> | "Will Denny" wrote:
> |
> | > Hi
> | >
> | > That's because you can't upgrade from Win2k to XP Home -
> you have to upgrade
> | > to XP Pro:
> | >

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx
> | >
> | > --
> | >

> | > Will Denny
> | > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> | > Please reply to the News Groups
> | >

> | > "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message

> from Windows 2000 to
> isn't an upgrade path.

It would certainly over-ride any "not returnable if opened"
restriction. But the OP can always sell the opened retail
upgrade as long as she has not installed it and includes ALL
the boxes, paperwork and a sales slip.

| Hi Jim
|
| 'The goods have to be fit for the purpose for which they
are intended for' -
| legally applies here in the UK. Whether that applies
elsewhere or not, I
| don't know. Agreed, if the OP stated that Win2k was to be
upgraded, then
| the supplier is at fault.
|
| --
|

| Will Denny
| MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
| Please reply to the News Groups

in message
| > If you bought the XP Home upgrade and the store didn't
know
| > they owe you a full refund and credit toward the
purchase of
| > the XP Pro upgrade. That assuming you told them you had
W2K
| > and want to upgrade to XP.
| >
| > Otherwise you can sell the XP Home, with all materials
it
| > came with to somebody (eBay) and buy an XP Pro upgrade.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
| > message

| > |I didn't know that. Thanks for your help.
| > |
| > | "Will Denny" wrote:
| > |

Home -
| > you have to upgrade

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

| > message

upgrading
| > from Windows 2000 to
there
| > isn't an upgrade path.

Hi Jim

There are so many legal 'ins-and-outs' with opened software, that it may
easier to purchase the Pro Upgrade - and then as you suggest sell the opened
package on eBay or wherever.

--

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi Jim
>
> 'The goods have to be fit for the purpose for which they are intended
> for' - legally applies here in the UK. Whether that applies
> elsewhere or not, I don't know. Agreed, if the OP stated that Win2k
> was to be upgraded, then the supplier is at fault.

William why is the supplier at fault if the OP is too stupid to read a box?
It states quite clearly on the box what the QPs are. The supplier cannot be
blamed for customer stupidity.

on salads.

Since the upgrade path for W2K is published and should be a policy known to
the seller, the seller would be responsible for providing the correct
upgrade software. Even if the buyer failed to ask the right question, the
fact that the upgrade did not work should be sufficient for returning the
software and paying the difference for the right product.

> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi Jim
>>
>> 'The goods have to be fit for the purpose for which they are intended
>> for' - legally applies here in the UK. Whether that applies
>> elsewhere or not, I don't know. Agreed, if the OP stated that Win2k
>> was to be upgraded, then the supplier is at fault.
>
> William why is the supplier at fault if the OP is too stupid to read a
> box? It states quite clearly on the box what the QPs are. The supplier
> cannot be blamed for customer stupidity.
>

> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi Jim
>>
>> 'The goods have to be fit for the purpose for which they are intended
>> for' - legally applies here in the UK. Whether that applies
>> elsewhere or not, I don't know. Agreed, if the OP stated that Win2k
>> was to be upgraded, then the supplier is at fault.
>
> William why is the supplier at fault if the OP is too stupid to read a
> box? It states quite clearly on the box what the QPs are. The supplier
> cannot be blamed for customer stupidity.

Hi Sarah

That has been the way since 1948, whichever Party (you know what I mean by
that!!) has been in power, and it isn't going to be changed.

What's with using my 'long' name :))

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

Hi

Not necessarily. Any opened software 'could' be legally claimed by the
seller as having been used. Ergo, not returnable or refundable. Gotta be
very careful with 'opened' software.