When would 680I be obsolete?

fmfantasy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I am thinking about switching over from a 478 proc board and agp vid card and ddr memory. I am a mid range gamer and looking to get a 680I- some ddr2 800 and whatever mid range dx10 card is out in late january along with a c2d 6300.

My question is as low end as I am starting with the ability to upgrade graphics cards and cpu's and eventually sli- Is there any tech or change coming that would most likely force me to upgrade this board i the next 3 years or so?

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
Is there any tech or change coming that would most likely force me to upgrade this board i the next 3 years or so?
depends what you do with your PC & on your motivation for upgrades.
DDR3 will be with us in a year or so & almost certainly there will be a new CPU socket & new CPUs in the next 3 years.

fmfantasy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I use it mostly to play games at decent specs. since I am starting out so low though I always have ddr2 100 memory quad core chips and brand new vid cards to upgrade too to get more performance that ddr3 and whatever intel has after quad core wont really help me much.

I usually buy a MB and just max it out as far as it will go and then trade up- for my needs I think the 6801 will last me 3 years- I may not really need SLI though but maybe necessary to power a 30 inch monitor.

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Doesn't look like it. The motherboards with the 680i chipset can hold quad core. I doubt as just a heavy gamer you would be hurting. Things change every 6 months in the PC biz, but right now the 680i chipset motherboards are the most future proof.

Believe me, I'm in the same boat at you.....every 3-4 years I can build myself a pretty damn good PC. I'll be using one of the 680i motherboards, e6600 dual core, 2 to 4 gig of ram and 2 7900 in Sli mode.

The only thing I can see me upgrading in the future is maybe the video cards...up to the 8800 series (when Prices drop and more DX 10 games come out).