XP installation problem

I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.

Booting from cd, installation starts ok but when we get to screen *set up is
starting windows* everything freezes. How long should this step take? Have
left it on this screen for well over an hour and nothing happens.

Starting in Safe Mode....same problem.

Have tried alternative methods suggested in this and other NGs, including
copying i386 to C drive and opening winnt32.exe from there, but installation
still freezes at same stage.

TIA for any suggestions.

freakin' out wrote:
> I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.
>
> Booting from cd, installation starts ok but when we get to screen
> *set up is starting windows* everything freezes. How long should this
> step take? Have left it on this screen for well over an hour and
> nothing happens.
>
> Starting in Safe Mode....same problem.
>
> Have tried alternative methods suggested in this and other NGs,
> including copying i386 to C drive and opening winnt32.exe from there,
> but installation still freezes at same stage.
>
> TIA for any suggestions.

Not every PC is capable of supporting XP without hardware/software upgrades.
Have you made sure that your PC's hardware/software components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information can usually be found at the PC's
manufacturer's website.

Download the XP upgrade advisor on your current system.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

This utility will be able to determine whether or not there are any
components installed on the system that have known incompatibilities with
XP.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade from Win98 or WinMe

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
> freakin' out wrote:
> > I am currently using 98SE and trying to install XP Home.
> >
> > Booting from cd, installation starts ok but when we get to screen
> > *set up is starting windows* everything freezes. How long should this
> > step take? Have left it on this screen for well over an hour and
> > nothing happens.
> >
> > Starting in Safe Mode....same problem.
> >
> > Have tried alternative methods suggested in this and other NGs,
> > including copying i386 to C drive and opening winnt32.exe from there,
> > but installation still freezes at same stage.
> >
> > TIA for any suggestions.
>
> Not every PC is capable of supporting XP without hardware/software
upgrades.
> Have you made sure that your PC's hardware/software components are capable
> of supporting WinXP? This information can usually be found at the PC's
> manufacturer's website.
>
> Download the XP upgrade advisor on your current system.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
>
> This utility will be able to determine whether or not there are any
> components installed on the system that have known incompatibilities with
> XP.
>
> HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade from Win98 or WinMe
>
> Upgrading to Windows XP
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Comp was built to order in mid 2001 and regret I do not have full spec.
However basics are:
HD 30Gb - currently 11 Gb of free space.
P111 1 Ghz
RAM 384 Mb (was 256 Mb but I have just added a further 128 Mb stick which is
recognised).

Although I have backed up data files etc I have not deleted anything from HD
so that I can continue using 98SE until I get XP loaded successfully.