Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell x50v,cf gps and Pocket Streets

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
March 4, 2005 5:11:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Does anyone have this combination working? I usually use either mapopolis
or pocket map navigator and it works fine, but when I try to configure gps
in pstreets it just hangs with the wait cursor forever. I believe I'm using
pstreets from s&t 2004. I'm thinking that this version of pstreets is limited
to com ports 1 and 2 because this combination worked fine on my toshiba e755
on com2. On the x50 the gps is com4. Is there a new version of pocket streets
in s&t 2005 that perhaps resolves this or is it a dell x50 problem?
Thanks,
Dean
March 4, 2005 5:11:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

You have to know which com port the GPS info is on and then tell S&T to look
at that port.
Terry

"Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message
news:38r8joF5rqb08U1@individual.net...
> Does anyone have this combination working? I usually use either mapopolis
> or pocket map navigator and it works fine, but when I try to configure gps
> in pstreets it just hangs with the wait cursor forever. I believe I'm
> using
> pstreets from s&t 2004. I'm thinking that this version of pstreets is
> limited
> to com ports 1 and 2 because this combination worked fine on my toshiba
> e755
> on com2. On the x50 the gps is com4. Is there a new version of pocket
> streets
> in s&t 2005 that perhaps resolves this or is it a dell x50 problem?
> Thanks,
> Dean
>
>
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:11:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Dean, and anyone else who can add something on the subject...
I just purchased a cable on eBay connecting my Garmin eTrex GPS to my PPC.
The people I purchased it from sell the Pocket Map Navigator software.
Should I seriously consider getting this software (which I am) or are there
others comparable or better?
I tune pianos and am constantly on the road. Pocket Map seems to be just
what I'm looking for but I'd like some other opinions as well.

Thanks so much for any input from anyone.
Doug Freeze
Get your piano tuned !
http://MasterTuner.com



=============================
"Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message
news:38r8joF5rqb08U1@individual.net...
> Does anyone have this combination working? I usually use either mapopolis
> or pocket map navigator and it works fine, but when I try to configure gps
> in pstreets it just hangs with the wait cursor forever. I believe I'm
> using
> pstreets from s&t 2004. I'm thinking that this version of pstreets is
> limited
> to com ports 1 and 2 because this combination worked fine on my toshiba
> e755
> on com2. On the x50 the gps is com4. Is there a new version of pocket
> streets
> in s&t 2005 that perhaps resolves this or is it a dell x50 problem?
> Thanks,
> Dean
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:00:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

You are correct in Comm 4 for the X50v. I have the Pharos iGPS 360 that
comes with the S&T 2005 package, and purchased the CF adapter for it. The
version of Pocket Streets that comes with that setup does work just fine. In
fact it would let me select from comm ports 1-9 (missing 6, so I assume that
is reserved by something.)

You should be OK with the newer version of PS. It does incidentally not
require you to re-cut your maps, the 2004 format is read just fine.

"Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message
news:38r8joF5rqb08U1@individual.net...
> Does anyone have this combination working? I usually use either mapopolis
> or pocket map navigator and it works fine, but when I try to configure gps
> in pstreets it just hangs with the wait cursor forever. I believe I'm
> using
> pstreets from s&t 2004. I'm thinking that this version of pstreets is
> limited
> to com ports 1 and 2 because this combination worked fine on my toshiba
> e755
> on com2. On the x50 the gps is com4. Is there a new version of pocket
> streets
> in s&t 2005 that perhaps resolves this or is it a dell x50 problem?
> Thanks,
> Dean
>
March 5, 2005 1:09:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In message <OHWMC8PIFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "MasterTuner.com"
<lists@dougfreeze.com> wrote:
> Dean, and anyone else who can add something on the subject...
> I just purchased a cable on eBay connecting my Garmin eTrex GPS to my PPC.
> The people I purchased it from sell the Pocket Map Navigator software.
> Should I seriously consider getting this software (which I am) or are there
> others comparable or better?
> I tune pianos and am constantly on the road. Pocket Map seems to be just
> what I'm looking for but I'd like some other opinions as well.
>
> Thanks so much for any input from anyone.
> Doug Freeze
> Get your piano tuned !
> http://MasterTuner.com
>
>
>
> ==========================

I don't believe it's the best bang for the buck out there but it does work
ok. It was bundled with the gps when I bought it. Personally, I've trialed
mapopolis and prefer it to pocketmap but because I've already purchased pmn
I'll keep using it until the map data is outdated. Then I'll replace it with
mapopolis or tomtom.

Hth,
Dean
March 5, 2005 1:09:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In message <eEdRe$OIFHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com>
wrote:
> You have to know which com port the GPS info is on and then tell S&T to
look
> at that port.
> Terry


Hmmm,
I can't seem to get to that option. Whenever I tap configure gps it just gives
me the wait cursor and the only way out is a soft reset. This happens whether
the gps card is inserted or not. Pstreets works fine until I attempt using
a gps. Oddly, like I said this combination worked fine with my last pda and
works with this pda using other software, just not pocket streets.
!