Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I recently decided to use Artic Silver 5 on my CPU, which happens to be an E6600.

The AS5, has a date stamp of March 2005, and I bought this two weeks ago. I did ask Artic whether this can still be used, and they said yes, providing it was kept cool.

NEcase, I proceeded to clean the heatspreader and cpu using arti clean, and then applied the thermal paste.

It has not reached the 200hour cycle, but currently I'm pushing 56/57C under load in games. Using SnM, float and 100% CPU usage, I'm topping 63C. 3C above the thermal limit.

I'd would appreciate some advice on the following please (I'm not OC'ing):
1.) Running the E6600 on stock fan and AS5 at about 57C in game - good or not? We're in the middle of summer here in South Africa.
2.) According to Artic Silver, one should apply thermal paste vertically down the center with the diamond in the left bottom - does this apply for core 2 cpu's, and if so, does it really matter how the thermal paste is applied. What would be the best for a dual core CPU?
3.) Does running close to the thermal limit stated by Intel pose any threat?
4.) Lastly, what is the normal temps found on a stock E6600 without any OC'ing? Before applying AS5, I never checked the temps as thoroughly, so I really (and stupidly) don't have a reference point. I'm using the 975XBX - dunno how accurate the temps are routing through the bios.

Many thanx in advance!

Shap

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2004
What are you measuring with? RM Clock gives readings which are 14C degrees higher than should be; I know other software products give different readings which are equally way off. If you haven't already done so, please measure with Core Temp or Intel Thermal Analysis Tool and report back.

As a reference, my E6600 has a Scythe Ninja on top of it with AS5 in between. I don't have a CPU fan, but rather a 12cm fan sitting in the 5.25" bay aimed in general direction of the CPU heatsink, the RAM and the Northbridge.

I idle around 33C, games run at around 44C and when artificially loading both core to 100% with Intel Thermal Analysis Tool I get around 52C.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I did a quick test, and CPU Temp reports temps 3C higher. So, with normal 100% load on CPU, I manage about 60C. Using SnM (100% FP), I go to 64-65C on both cores (testing for 5min, bound to be higher). So, it ain't looking good.

TRENDING THREADS