how can i overclock my ram?

timber715

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
hi, i'm quite new to the computers and i've been trying to learn how i can over clock my system. starting with the memory. please advice how to in simple language as i cannot absord them all at once. thank you.
my system specifications:
ga-965p-ds4
intel p925
winfast 6600td
kingmax ddr2 pc667 512mb x2
80gb seagate barracuda
lg dvd-rom
got myself gigabyte g-power fan (for additional cooling)

please advice... and maybe teach me how to oc the rest....
Thank You in advance

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
You have to know your memory timings at this moment. If it's too difficult too see in the memory, you can use software such as Everest or Sisoft Sandra. Then note it. Or usually BIOS can check it automatically.

can you advice some timings for me to test?
Errr...try to reduce the timings. So, for example if your CAS timing is 4 then try reduce it to 3. Restart you computer then benchmark it few times or use memtest. If it stable, then go back again to BIOS. You can do this too with its Front side Bus by raising it.

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
I'm a big fan or funning prime95 in torture test mode for a good couple hours to make sure the system is stable under prolonged load.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Just weep in mind that if you want to tweak your system properly, its a process that takes weeks. Because once you find a good OC you need to really pay attention to what your comp does over the next few days. Almost ANY little thing that seems strange may be an indication your OC is having problems. I had a memory OC that ran memtest flawlessly for over 24 hours straight. Then a couple days later I started getting weird lags and hiccups. finally ran memtest again and was getting errors within the fist 30 minutes. These errors I was getting for a couple days were being written back to the OS system files. (I suspect) Because even after I reduced my OC back to stable the damage had been done by all the errors the memory was generating. My system hard crashed a couple days after that. And I wound up reformatting and starting from scratch. So back up everything you need before you tweek.