Extending USB

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 7, 2004 7:33:28 AM

Hi all,

I have a Logitech Quickcam Express USB web camera. My problem is that I
need to be able to move this camera between two locations, and one is about
50 feet from the computer and the other is about 80 feet. I have thought
about three ways to do this, but none really give me the warm and fuzzies so
I thought I would ask the experts.

1. Use a pair of USB-Ethernet converters. Plug one USB into my server,
connect to the other with Ethernet (probably a cross-over cable), and
connect the second USB>Ethernet converter to the camera using a gender
changer.

2. Buy a wireless camera. This would probably be my best option except for
two things. First, I don't have the money right at the moment. Secondly,
Wireless seems to have some problems in my house. At least my cell phones
have a problem. and it really gets bad when I am working in my garage when
I turn on the lights. There are about 7 fluourescent fixtures in there and
one or two of them piss me off. Can't play a radio with them on.

3. Buy an Ethernet camera. No money for that right now.

Unfortunately, Options 2 and 3 are probably out of the picture for me for a
while. I am trying to keep expenses down to a minimum until I find a new
job. It is an employers market where I am and employers are asking for the
sky.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Wayne

More about : extending usb

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 9:32:02 AM

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:33:28 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"
<twoblues@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a Logitech Quickcam Express USB web camera. My problem is that I
>need to be able to move this camera between two locations, and one is about
>50 feet from the computer and the other is about 80 feet. I have thought
>about three ways to do this, but none really give me the warm and fuzzies so
>I thought I would ask the experts.
>
>1. Use a pair of USB-Ethernet converters. Plug one USB into my server,
>connect to the other with Ethernet (probably a cross-over cable), and
>connect the second USB>Ethernet converter to the camera using a gender
>changer.
>
>2. Buy a wireless camera. This would probably be my best option except for
>two things. First, I don't have the money right at the moment. Secondly,
>Wireless seems to have some problems in my house. At least my cell phones
>have a problem. and it really gets bad when I am working in my garage when
>I turn on the lights. There are about 7 fluourescent fixtures in there and
>one or two of them piss me off. Can't play a radio with them on.
>
>3. Buy an Ethernet camera. No money for that right now.
>
>Unfortunately, Options 2 and 3 are probably out of the picture for me for a
>while. I am trying to keep expenses down to a minimum until I find a new
>job. It is an employers market where I am and employers are asking for the
>sky.
>
>Any suggestions appreciated,
>
>Wayne

USB gets expensive when yuou buy extendrers and such. You
probably should get a capture card and an NTSC cam which can be
put some distance from the computer.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 8:39:29 PM

You can try our Powered USB extension kits:

http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/usbkits.htm

!