Extending USB

Hi all,

I have a Logitech Quickcam Express USB web camera. My problem is that I
need to be able to move this camera between two locations, and one is about
50 feet from the computer and the other is about 80 feet. I have thought
about three ways to do this, but none really give me the warm and fuzzies so
I thought I would ask the experts.

1. Use a pair of USB-Ethernet converters. Plug one USB into my server,
connect to the other with Ethernet (probably a cross-over cable), and
connect the second USB>Ethernet converter to the camera using a gender
changer.

2. Buy a wireless camera. This would probably be my best option except for
two things. First, I don't have the money right at the moment. Secondly,
Wireless seems to have some problems in my house. At least my cell phones
have a problem. and it really gets bad when I am working in my garage when
I turn on the lights. There are about 7 fluourescent fixtures in there and
one or two of them piss me off. Can't play a radio with them on.

3. Buy an Ethernet camera. No money for that right now.

Unfortunately, Options 2 and 3 are probably out of the picture for me for a
while. I am trying to keep expenses down to a minimum until I find a new
job. It is an employers market where I am and employers are asking for the
sky.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Wayne
2 answers Last reply
More about extending

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:33:28 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"
    <twoblues@pacbell.net> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have a Logitech Quickcam Express USB web camera. My problem is that I
    >need to be able to move this camera between two locations, and one is about
    >50 feet from the computer and the other is about 80 feet. I have thought
    >about three ways to do this, but none really give me the warm and fuzzies so
    >I thought I would ask the experts.
    >
    >1. Use a pair of USB-Ethernet converters. Plug one USB into my server,
    >connect to the other with Ethernet (probably a cross-over cable), and
    >connect the second USB>Ethernet converter to the camera using a gender
    >changer.
    >
    >2. Buy a wireless camera. This would probably be my best option except for
    >two things. First, I don't have the money right at the moment. Secondly,
    >Wireless seems to have some problems in my house. At least my cell phones
    >have a problem. and it really gets bad when I am working in my garage when
    >I turn on the lights. There are about 7 fluourescent fixtures in there and
    >one or two of them piss me off. Can't play a radio with them on.
    >
    >3. Buy an Ethernet camera. No money for that right now.
    >
    >Unfortunately, Options 2 and 3 are probably out of the picture for me for a
    >while. I am trying to keep expenses down to a minimum until I find a new
    >job. It is an employers market where I am and employers are asking for the
    >sky.
    >
    >Any suggestions appreciated,
    >
    >Wayne

    USB gets expensive when yuou buy extendrers and such. You
    probably should get a capture card and an NTSC cam which can be
    put some distance from the computer.

    You can try our Powered USB extension kits:

    http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/usbkits.htm

    "NoOne N Particular" <twoblues@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<c4YQc.1313$eZ7.368@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Logitech Quickcam Express USB web camera. My problem is that I
    > need to be able to move this camera between two locations, and one is about
    > 50 feet from the computer and the other is about 80 feet. I have thought
    > about three ways to do this, but none really give me the warm and fuzzies so
    > I thought I would ask the experts.
    >
    > 1. Use a pair of USB-Ethernet converters. Plug one USB into my server,
    > connect to the other with Ethernet (probably a cross-over cable), and
    > connect the second USB>Ethernet converter to the camera using a gender
    > changer.
    >
    > 2. Buy a wireless camera. This would probably be my best option except for
    > two things. First, I don't have the money right at the moment. Secondly,
    > Wireless seems to have some problems in my house. At least my cell phones
    > have a problem. and it really gets bad when I am working in my garage when
    > I turn on the lights. There are about 7 fluourescent fixtures in there and
    > one or two of them piss me off. Can't play a radio with them on.
    >
    > 3. Buy an Ethernet camera. No money for that right now.
    >
    > Unfortunately, Options 2 and 3 are probably out of the picture for me for a
    > while. I am trying to keep expenses down to a minimum until I find a new
    > job. It is an employers market where I am and employers are asking for the
    > sky.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated,
    >
    > Wayne

Webcams Cameras Ethernet Card USB Peripherals