Can I add a 2nd pump into my loop?

jonkc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Hey All,

I couldn't think of any reason I wouldn't be able to, but I don't know everything... Also where is the best location for the pump.

Here is my setup...
I have an Evercool WC-202 setup that has a weak pump and I would like to increase the flow rate so that I can add Primochill non-conductive fluid....
It runs from the reservior -> CPU Block -> Rear 120mm Radiator -> GPU Block -> Front Radiator -> Reservior

Note that the Front Radiator and reservior/pump are in the 5 1/4 bay unit which also has the Display and fan controls. The tubing is 3/8 in.

Any Thoughts? I would prefer not to spend too much <$50

Thanks for the help
JonKC

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Sure you can, just add it after the weak pump. Notice that head pressure and flor rate wont be simply added, but to make things simple, just take 25% off each pump.

$50 is kind of a tight budget, for $70 you can get a MCP355 or 655 which are very well recognized.
You could also use an AC pump, the best budget pump in the market right now is the VA2300. But look into other options of this brand for more budget options that could fit your needs better than that VA2300.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
rwaritsdario is wrong.

If you put the pumps one after another you're gonna cause problems and probably burn one or both out. Also there's no performance gain by doing that (in fact there will be a loss) over just using the best pump on its own.

The reason is that the stronger pump will probably want to pump more water than the weaker pump is. Basically the weaker pump becomes an extra load. Think about it....

For two pump systems you need two circuits one pump on each. The circuits can either be complete and just share the reservoir, or you cah just have some partial part of the main circuit teed off with splitters and its own pump. If you do that I suggest putting the stronger pump driving the main circuit.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Sounds reasonable, but are you sure?
When I was in the military playing firefighter, we put two of the vw pumps in series, thereby increasing the max pressure from 7bar to almost 12bar .... and both pumps survived .... granted they were equal, but one engine alone simply couldn't produce more than 7 bar pressure.

I'm aware that the size difference of those pumps compared to the small ones in water cooling is enormous, but wouldn't the result depend on why the weak pump is weak? If it's simply because the electric engine doesn't have the torque, it may increase thruput to add another one, but if the mechanics simply can't go any faster, it'd ruin it I would expect.

ps. I have no idea about watercooling whatsoever, so take my rambling as pure theory, cause that's what it is.

jonkc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
rwaritsdario is wrong.

If you put the pumps one after another you're gonna cause problems and probably burn one or both out. Also there's no performance gain by doing that (in fact there will be a loss) over just using the best pump on its own.

The reason is that the stronger pump will probably want to pump more water than the weaker pump is. Basically the weaker pump becomes an extra load. Think about it....

For two pump systems you need two circuits one pump on each. The circuits can either be complete and just share the reservoir, or you cah just have some partial part of the main circuit teed off with splitters and its own pump. If you do that I suggest putting the stronger pump driving the main circuit.

I thought(and that is why I posted) that if I put the second pump between the rear radiator and the gpu block it might help pull/push more fluid...

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
It worked because both pumps were the same. Also you must have had to keep the revs on both equal or you would have put a big extra load on the other. you should also have had an expansion tank between them.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
rwaritsdario is wrong.

I thought(and that is why I posted) that if I put the second pump between the rear radiator and the gpu block it might help pull/push more fluid...

Nope, assuming you haven't changed pipe sizes somewhere, the flow rate (and therefore pressure) is the same all around your circuit because its a closed circuit, so it doesn't matter where you put the pump in the circuit, the effect is the same.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
rwaritsdario is wrong.

Nope, assuming you haven't changed pipe sizes somewhere, the flow rate is the same all around your circuit because its a closed circuit, so it doesn't matter where you put the pump in the circuit, the effect is the same.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It worked because both pumps were the same. Also you must have had to keep the revs on both equal or you would have put a big extra load on the other. you should also have had an expansion tank between them.

I honestly don't remember if we had the same revs on both. Been 5 years after all. But I remember for certain that we didn't have anything between the pumps except the A hose.

But I remember the bmw pumps could manage 10 bar alone, whereas the vw ones required two to get there - the vw engines were more reliable however.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Just get rid of the pump/res. in the bay, get an external pump and res.
I have an Arctic system by KingWin, the pump and res. just plain sucked. The pump died, I mean it sucked bad. The water blocks worked great, so I purchased a submersible pump, made my own res., modified a heater core, got a couple of fans and it's all good. I have the ability to chill my water below freezing but I mostly keep it at a temp so my CPU idles at 19C now, and that is with the chipset and GPU in line too.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
No, I am not. There are certain minor performance gains but definitely not a loss.
A way around it would be: stronger pump -> CPU -> weaker pump -> GPU -> rads