In place of alphabet k, - (hyphen) is typed in the monitor. Keyboard is
alright as it works properly with other pc's.
Any keyboard attached to this pc types - (hyphen) instead of k, which shows
that problem is not keyboard but something else.
what is the problem and how can it be tackled.
I did post earlier in hardware group also but did not receive satisfactory
answer.
kindly help.
TIA.

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:12:05 +0530, Jagdish Chandra wrote:

> In place of alphabet k, - (hyphen) is typed in the monitor. Keyboard is
> alright as it works properly with other pc's.
> Any keyboard attached to this pc types - (hyphen) instead of k, which shows
> that problem is not keyboard but something else.
> what is the problem and how can it be tackled.
> I did post earlier in hardware group also but did not receive satisfactory
> answer.
> kindly help.
> TIA.

You've taken steps to eliminate the possibility of a faulty keyboard.
Perhaps the font you're using is damaged. Have you tried using a different
one?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

But then when I use on screen keyboard the problem is not there.

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:34:51 +0530, J.C.De wrote:

> But then when I use on screen keyboard the problem is not there.

The problem is going to be hardware or software based. Which one you're
dealing with, I don't know. Take a look at these references:

A lightweight outline of troubleshooting keyboard problems in this sample
Que book chapter:
http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=340876&seqNum=6

A discussion about keyboard troubleshooting (some more advanced techniques
referred to):
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Laptops_Notebooks/Q_20863710.html

A readme for a Linux keyboard mapping utility. Gives an idea of how
software copes with the builtin hardware functions. Also gives an insight
as to how and why software can be used to achieve desired output:
http://leuksman.com/linux/README.keymap

Hardware possibilities:

Be very sure that this keyboard is okay. Something as innocent as a pet
hair or a strip of cellophane that has slipped under the keys can cause
unwanted contact. The contact can act as a "short" and cause incorrect
signals and output.

If the problem is truly not the keyboard, it may other hardware that
communicates with the keyboard that is faulty. Including the port that the
keyboard connects to on the motherboard or its underlying circuitry. It is
difficult to test these things without special diagnostic equipment. May
need to have a shop do the forensics for you.

Software:
Check language settings in Windows for keyboard.

Try reinstalling keyboard driver. Preferably one from the manufacturer's
site instead of one included in Windows driver base.

If you have installed software that remaps the characters a keyboard
produces, it's possible it is misfiring and causing this problem. Even if
the software has been uninstalled, it may have left something behind that
is still effecting the keyboard output. If remap software has been used,
consult tech support for that program.

It sounds like your codepage file is in good shape since a software
keyboard works correctly.

There may be other explanations but I can't think of any at the moment.

A very odd problem. If you get this sorted, would be interested in hearing
what the ultimate solution was.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanx Sharon,
for your suggestions,
Actually this is not a keyboard problem. Keyboard works perfectly well with
other computers.
Otherwise change of keyboard would have solved the problem.
Please let me know if you can think of any other possibilities.
Thanx again.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:57:51 +0530, J.C.De wrote:

> Thanx Sharon,
> for your suggestions,
> Actually this is not a keyboard problem. Keyboard works perfectly well with
> other computers.
> Otherwise change of keyboard would have solved the problem.
> Please let me know if you can think of any other possibilities.
> Thanx again.

Sorry about repeating checks for the keyboard even though you've had
already done that. The point is that there are "parts and pathways" between
the key you press and what you ultimately see on the screen. Somewhere
along the line the signal from that one key is not being interpreted
properly. It's being derailed by a hardware fault or a nuance in keyboard
settings/software. The references listed in my other message are a simple
overview of some of the places along the way that this can happen.

Because this keyboard works on other systems, you're left looking for a
problem somewhere on this particular PC. Possibilities include: the
physical keyboard connection, the motherboard circuitry for keyboard input
and software possibilities (keyboard drivers or utilities).

I don't think this is a Windows problem since your software keyboard works
fine. Again, the symptoms point more to a physical hardware problem or a
software source.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User