davegt40

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
I had an issue start today that has never happened before. When i go to turn on the computer once the button is pressed all the fans spin for just a fraction of a second and then nothing happens. The green LED light is on inside the computer. I was wondering could this be the powersupply is about to die and just dosen't have enough juice in it? Or could this be something else like the CPU or MOBO. Thanks in advance for any help.

adi_alter_ego

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I had this problem on my old Pc, i usually fixed it by removing the power cord, wait a few minutes and plug it back in.
but that`s in my opinion the sign the the PSU is about to die, as it did eventually in my old system. :) it just hanged untill i upgraded

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yes, with the information you posted about this, it does sound like a PSU issue. So it just freaked out once, and now it's operating normally?

davegt40

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
Nope its completly dead except for the green led light that is on the mobo that lights up. I just switched in an old 250w ps i had laying around but now the light comes on but the fans don't even spin and its dead.

The specs are

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo
AMD 2100xp processor
ATI 9500 Pro Graphcis
2gigs of OCZ ram
and it had a 550w true power ps.

I never had any problems with this system until this morning, although I think my gf shut it down last night by just holding down the power key and not shutting down thru windows.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
That sounds like it might be more of a mobo issue. Or maybe your power button broke? Does it do anything when you press power button?

davegt40

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah the fans will spin for just a fraction of a second once u press it but then thats it. And after you have pressed it once you have to unplug the power cord into the ps and put it back in to get it to spin again otherwise it does absouletely nothing when you press the power button.

Is there a way to boot a computer up without pressing the powerbutton?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hmm... that's a tough one. That sounds more mobo related to me now.

It could be a fried capacitor on your mobo (correct me if I'm wrong here, people). I would check your capacitors on mobo (inspect them visually for anything funny looking) and smell to see if you can smell anything funky (e.g. burning smell).

Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. I doubt mobo is under warranty still?

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Could be mobo, or the little power button board. Try reseating the power button connector, then try removing the power button connector and jumping the power pin. I don't ermember which one it is, but you can find it via google.

Also:
http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm

If it's not the power button board, that makes it likely that it is the mobo. To verify that, you'd start by pulling everything, leaving just mobo, CPU and RAM and trying to boot. If that works, you probably have some failed component shorting or the like. If that doesn't work, pull RAM and check for beep codes. If no memory beep codes, then it is mobo or CPU.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
1 vote for the psu having died.my dad had the exact same problem.it was the psu.
Yeah, I'm willing to go with that. I've experienced similar problems that were caused by PSU. It just seems weird that he tried swapping PSU and the problem changed but still remains.

I wonder if that other PSU is bad or perhaps cannot handle your system?

davegt40

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
Alright hopefully your all right with the powersupply because thats the easy fix. I will be going tommorrow to get a new one. Wish me luck!

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Haha I'd say that's a pretty good forecast! :lol:

and now for sports with dean where it looks like asus just flat dominated gigabyte,,deanGigabyte was running for the touchdown that would have tied them with Asus, when at the last minute, out of nowhere Asus took them out! The crowd was pissed, and Asus' star player (Mr. Striker) had to bust out of there to avoid bodily injury.

Now, back to you verndewd, for a special holiday report on a dog named Cassy <insert dorky news anchor laughing>.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Do you think we can get Cassie to deliver food to bufus while he is recovering?
<cheesy news anchor laugh>

Anyway, on to traffic. If you're planning on driving anywhere before December 26th, we have some useful ideas on how to beat the traffic:

1. Just don't drive.
2. You're screwed and we all know it. Don't try to fight it.
3. As usual we don't have anything to say and this is just filler.
4. Please see #1.

I bet you are saying "why didn't somebody come up with this years ago?". Well, that's a good question, and as usual we don't have any "real" answers.
<more cheesy laughter>

Well, there have been only minor issues with holiday shopping nightmares. Sure a couple people have been mugged/shot for PS3s, but isn't that to be expected over something as important as a gaming console? I know that if I was injured in the line of duty getting one of the first PS3s I'd think it was worth it. Especially when that PS3 overheats and dies on me.

For the "Must have" holiday shopping list we have:

1. Bigfoot Networks' "Killer NIC". Why settle for a regular NIC when you can pay $250 for one with a fancy heatsink?
2. Ageia PhysX card. Can you think of a reason you need compatibility with more than 4 games? Didn't think so.
3. AMD Athlon FX-74. Not only does this CPU set double as a space heater, but you can have the satisfaction of knowing that you are really blasting the hell out of the environment as well! You know that a similarly priced single-die quad-core solution that uses less power and has greater performance and overclocking potential is just lame. And that's why you know that you need the FX-74! Plus, who hasn't had a fantasy that involves 12 SATA ports?

<insert scene of verndewd and dean talking and laughing over some imaginary joke as the credits roll>

Does this qualify as the best example of thread-jacking in known history??? :lol:

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
if you want a quick way to test the psu without harming anything in the pc just get a volt meter and test the voltages on the psu.

to turn on the psu without it hooked up to the mobo just unplug all power to the cd drive hdd ect then unplug it from the mobo, both the 20/24 pin and the 4 pin one. then on the 20 or 24 pin connector (what ever one you have) find the green wire then short it to one of the black wires.

the psu needs to be pluged into power for this to work obviously, but with it on test your volts with the meter and to shut it off just un-short the green wire.

also one more obvious thing is if you short the green wire and the psu doesn't kick on its dead.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I posted it right when THG freaked out the other day (I heard other people reporting issues so I know I'm not just crazy... haha).