How to tell PCI slots apart?

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
So I'm on the cusp of buying a new 5.1 sound card for my somewhat dated DFI motherboard. I was getting all ready to start shopping but then realized that I haven't a clue as to how to tell what exactly my PCI slots are.

Is there a simple way to tell if I have a..

PCI 2.0 64 bit or
PCI 1.0 64 bit or
PCI 2.3 64 bit or
PCI 1.0 32 bit?

(I know for sure that I don't have a PCI Express slot)

I noticed, whilst shopping for cards, that some only work on PCI 2.0 and it would suck if I got a card that didn't work on my comp.

Can I visually see which slot I have or can I check it in BIOS or is there a handy program I can use to check from Windows?

Sigh... noobiness gets old occasionally :?

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Easiest way is to look up a spec sheet for your particular motherboard. If it's still for sale from an online retail with a good website, they may have one available, otherwise try the manufacturer's website. Otherwise, start a topic with the model # of your MB in a forum like this one, and hope that a guru who worked with your board happens by. :'P

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Its 32bit, so is the card. If you have 64bit PCI-X then you know about it because you paid alot extra for a server board that supports it.

If its LGA-775 or any Athlon 64 board it is at least v2.1, and as such definately supports 3.3v signalling.