Sign in with
Your question

Yet another build help request...

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2006 2:31:03 PM
November 30, 2006 3:57:55 PM

The Xeon 3070 (socket 775 Conroe) may overclock higher, and could be a better CPU, and two Raptor 150's in RAID0 for improved performance.
November 30, 2006 7:29:19 PM

I've never had any experience with Xeons before haven't really read much about them either. I was planning on raiding the 500 gig drives to make one large one. Was planning on just keeping my OS and a few choice apps on the raptor.

I had thought about raiding 4 150 raptors together in Raid 0 to make a large 600 gig drive. At the moment that's a huge difference from what I'm using now and I think it would take me awhile to fill up the 600. But I'm not sure I also though about raiding up 4 750 gig drives but thought that might be a big of an over kill.
Related resources
November 30, 2006 7:33:38 PM

Also on a side note what do you guys recommend for a monitor. I want something that's going to give me a resolution that does the 8800's justice. I don't want to buy those cards just to run at friggin 12x10 you know.
November 30, 2006 8:13:39 PM

One of the high end builders, perhaps Falcon Northwest, was featured in a PC Magazine (pre C2D) article earlier this year regarding 4 Raptor 150's in RAID0. From what I can recall, it was a screaming rig in terms of hard drive speed, and of course, more is faster. I'll take a look later for a link to a RAID article which details how additional drives affect throughput. Have to work at the moment.
November 30, 2006 9:57:17 PM

Lol, the Xeon 3070 is about the same... it performs really well but runs cooler and has lower power consumption. Now OC it and it'll still be more stable, run cooler and eat up less power! It's a server processor, it's higher quality from binning.
Anonymous
November 30, 2006 10:30:31 PM

Go quad core.
November 30, 2006 10:38:41 PM

Thanks Computronix any help is greatly welcomed.

I had also thought about going quad core but I heard the X6800 was faster for games at the moment. What do you guys think should I wait on the quad or just get it from the get go? I haven't read many OC reviews on the Quad core either so that has me worried abit. :-/

I'll have to look up the Xeon 3070 when I'm at work again tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.
December 1, 2006 2:52:52 AM

Wow, 5000? Thats just overkill IMO...u could build a rig that no game could hinder for well less than half.
December 1, 2006 11:02:42 AM

Quote:
Wow, 5000? Thats just overkill IMO...u could build a rig that no game could hinder for well less than half.

Oh yeah no doubt. I just want to get this build and then not have to worry about upgrading for several years. I have a baby on the way in January so it will probably be awhile before I can justify dropping large amounts of money on a computer again. So I might as well go for the best.
December 1, 2006 1:07:08 PM

OK I decided to change things up a bit. Decided I would go ahead and drop 2 gigs of the ram and pick up the QX6700 and 4 150 Raptors for Raid. This puts me over my 5k mark but only by about 200 bucks with shipping and handling.

My only concern really is that I've heard there's been issues with the Striker boards and running in SLI. Anyone else hear about this?
December 1, 2006 2:04:32 PM

I heard rumor of that issue with SLI but can't confirm it.
My question is why the striker? Are you planning on using the riser card for sound? If so it could be a decent choice.

Right now its no better in OC'ing than the other 680i boards and depending on your needs is less upgradable and many reports have said the board is less stable as well compared to the eVGA.

I'm too busy at work atm to look up the links, but feel free. Motherboards.org has one comparison between the two and gave the nod to the eVGA.

Its your dollar though.

I think the quad is a good choice, if you're spending enough to get the x6800 might as well go quad I say. More future-proof.

The Raptors are surely going to be faster than other drives in raid but I personally think the price/perf. on them is too much to swallow. I intend to do a raid 5 with 3 320gig Seagates with 3.0gbs etc. It should still be much faster than regular drives and offers data security as well. Its a compromise I know so it depends on your own perspective. Sounds like a marvelous rig tho and it should give much gaming pleasure.
!