Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

extract sound file from Note

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:06:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I accidentally recorded sound file into Note

How can I extract it ?



Thank you

Sharon.G
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:06:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Sharon Gorev wrote:
> I accidentally recorded sound file into Note
>
> How can I extract it ?

If you have Word on your PC, you could follow Jud Hardcastle's advice.
Please note that to access the note in Word, you might have to copy the
note to a different folder on your device and copy it to a folder on
your PC. If the note is in the default folder, My Documents, it'll
almost certainly sync to the Notes folder of Outlook, where the options
for reviewing and editing the note are ridiculously and pathetically
limited. I don't think Jud mentions this aspect on this page, which
you'll find here:
http://bevhoward.com/Jud.htm

Also, I started a thread discussing this topic a few days ago in this
newsgroup with the subject, "Extracting recordings from notes file".
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:06:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

While Jud's solution will work with some pc setups, many versions of
word cannot open pwi files or handle the recording objects and the
ability to do so is not consistant.

Take a look at http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Record for a full
description of what's going on along with several other recovery options.

In addtion to solutions, there is an option described to assure that
recordings will normally be saved as wav files.

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Related resources
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 8:38:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <uq2KJqOIFHA.2564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Beverly Howard [Ms-
MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> says...
> While Jud's solution will work with some pc setups, many versions of
> word cannot open pwi files or handle the recording objects and the
> ability to do so is not consistant.
>
> Take a look at http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Record for a full
> description of what's going on along with several other recovery options.
>
> In addtion to solutions, there is an option described to assure that
> recordings will normally be saved as wav files.
>
> hth,
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>
Never did figure out why some people have problems. I just got a new pc
(Motion tablet-it's FUN!) and installed office 2003 on it--I was afraid
I was going to have problems with the doc & pwi files--but didn't. I can
open the PPC files fine and see and extract the embedded recordings the
same as on office 2k. Strange.

To the previous poster--yes, not allowing the PWI file to convert to
Outlook Notes in critical. The blurb on Beverly's site was extracted
from a long thread and skips that part of the discussion. Actually I
later stopped using the Note application totally--just Pocket Word
exclusively for the few items that need it.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 10:55:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Well the Note is on my SD card ,

The note is 4Mb and I'm unable to move it to my iPaq file storage although I
got 28 Mb free memory for storage,

And I cannot find the SD card path when I open Documents from Pocket Word

Is there any limitation on the file size I can put into the iPaq file
storage?

What should I do (buy office 2003 ???????)



Thank you

Sharon.G


"Urp" <a@sdbvksbvibzdfbzdzdnz.com.com> wrote in message
news:42289abf$0$32612$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> Sharon Gorev wrote:
>> I accidentally recorded sound file into Note
>>
>> How can I extract it ?
>
> If you have Word on your PC, you could follow Jud Hardcastle's advice.
> Please note that to access the note in Word, you might have to copy the
> note to a different folder on your device and copy it to a folder on your
> PC. If the note is in the default folder, My Documents, it'll almost
> certainly sync to the Notes folder of Outlook, where the options for
> reviewing and editing the note are ridiculously and pathetically limited.
> I don't think Jud mentions this aspect on this page, which you'll find
> here:
> http://bevhoward.com/Jud.htm
>
> Also, I started a thread discussing this topic a few days ago in this
> newsgroup with the subject, "Extracting recordings from notes file".
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:32:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> While Jud's solution will work with some pc setups, many versions of
> word cannot open pwi files or handle the recording objects and the
> ability to do so is not consistant.

Beverley,

May I suggest that you update the page on your site with Jud's solution
(http://bevhoward.com/Jud.htm) so that it mentions the critically
important step of not synching with the Outlook Notes folder by storing
notes in a different location than the default, My Documents. (See Jud's
reply to you in this thread.)
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:32:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The page is Jud's, so, Jud, if you will edit it, I will repost. I am
not comfortable editing your comments in as I do not fully understand
the process.

Beverly Howard
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:02:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Sharon Gorev wrote:
> Well the Note is on my SD card ,

In which case you should be able to copy this to your desktop PC's hard
disk, using the Explore button on the ActiveSync application on your PC.

> The note is 4Mb and I'm unable to move it to my iPaq file storage although I
> got 28 Mb free memory for storage,
>
> And I cannot find the SD card path when I open Documents from Pocket Word

Don't get me started on the useless and lame file opening and saving
system that Pocket Word uses! It is so pathetic it beggars belief, and
is one of the reasons why I do not use pocket Word. Some arrogant and
foolish developers at Microsoft think you should store all your
documents in one folder with no subfolders - the equivalent of taking
all the drawers and folders out of a filing cabinet and then just
throwing all the documents into one big hole. Truly pathetic.
(Thankfully, it's a simple registry edit to get rid of this annoyance.)

> Is there any limitation on the file size I can put into the iPaq file
> storage?
>
> What should I do (buy office 2003 ???????)

Ah. This, I'm afraid, is the point I was making earlier, and is why I
can't use Jud Hardcastle's solution to retrieve MY data. It looks like
yet another example of Microsoft using proprietary systems to maintain
their monopoly. Why should you have to buy Office just to get at YOUR
information? There are other solutions, Sharon, such as not using Pocket
Notes in the first place, or re-recording the audio output. The link
that Beverley kindly provided in this thread should help:
http://bevhoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Record
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 6:18:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <422c34b5$0$8753$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>,
a@sdbvksbvibzdfbzdzdnz.com.com says...
> > What should I do (buy office 2003 ???????)
>
> Ah. This, I'm afraid, is the point I was making earlier, and is why I
> can't use Jud Hardcastle's solution to retrieve MY data. It looks like
> yet another example of Microsoft using proprietary systems to maintain
> their monopoly. Why should you have to buy Office just to get at YOUR
> information? There are other solutions, Sharon, such as not using Pocket
> Notes in the first place, or re-recording the audio output. The link
>
>
Office is far too expensive to buy just for this purpose even without
the problem of it not working for some people.

I just tested Textmaker (PC) on a Pocket Word file containing a
recording. It works EXACTLY like Word even to the need to open a 2nd
Sound Recorder. Highlight the embedded object (speaker icon missing but
you can still select the object) -- right click and select Sound
Recorder Document object -- Edit -- Edit and Copy -- in 2nd copy of
Recorder Edit and Paste Insert -- then File and SaveAs to save the wav
file. WORKS!

And Textmaker is inexpensive compared to Office -- besides it's a VERY
nice application to have. They have a trial version.

http://www.softmaker.com/english/tm_en.htm

Jud
Dallas TX USA
March 14, 2005 1:30:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

hi Jud
first I agree with every word Urp said (about Microsoft ...)
where can I find this registry change ?

second , I downloaded and installed the Textmaker ,but I'm unable to see
any embedded object

Thanks for your help
Sharon



"Jud Hardcastle" <I5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c962cca67eb32d7989891@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
> In article <422c34b5$0$8753$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>,
> a@sdbvksbvibzdfbzdzdnz.com.com says...
>> > What should I do (buy office 2003 ???????)
>>
>> Ah. This, I'm afraid, is the point I was making earlier, and is why I
>> can't use Jud Hardcastle's solution to retrieve MY data. It looks like
>> yet another example of Microsoft using proprietary systems to maintain
>> their monopoly. Why should you have to buy Office just to get at YOUR
>> information? There are other solutions, Sharon, such as not using Pocket
>> Notes in the first place, or re-recording the audio output. The link
>>
>>
> Office is far too expensive to buy just for this purpose even without
> the problem of it not working for some people.
>
> I just tested Textmaker (PC) on a Pocket Word file containing a
> recording. It works EXACTLY like Word even to the need to open a 2nd
> Sound Recorder. Highlight the embedded object (speaker icon missing but
> you can still select the object) -- right click and select Sound
> Recorder Document object -- Edit -- Edit and Copy -- in 2nd copy of
> Recorder Edit and Paste Insert -- then File and SaveAs to save the wav
> file. WORKS!
>
> And Textmaker is inexpensive compared to Office -- besides it's a VERY
> nice application to have. They have a trial version.
>
> http://www.softmaker.com/english/tm_en.htm
>
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:54:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <eAzyytAKFHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Sharon669
@hotmail.com says...
> hi Jud
> first I agree with every word Urp said (about Microsoft ...)
> where can I find this registry change ?
>
I'm not exactly sure what Urp is referring to there - the built-in apps
see MD and one level of subfolders below that (unless it's on a card and
the "ignore my documents" hidden file is present).

> second , I downloaded and installed the Textmaker ,but I'm unable to see
> any embedded object

You've "detached" a notes file, i.e. moved it out of MD so it won't be
sync'd to Outlook, copied it to the PC, and opened it with the PC
version of Textmaker? TM should show a "box" placeholder for the object
that you can right click--it doesn't have a speaker icon in the box like
Word but the box should be there. If not I have no idea.
>
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
!