GameStick Console Price at $79, Now Up for Pre-order

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a world getting more and more complacent with finger-swipe games on their phones, look for many of these new game consoles to carry these simple games while giving us a control stick since we can't swipe our television.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
The controller looks like it's ready to induce a whole lot of RSI... I hope they contemplate better ergonomics in future designs at least.

G

For some reason I read the buttons as "paypal" instead of "play"...

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]paypalinsteadofplay[/nom]For some reason I read the buttons as "paypal" instead of "play"...[/citation]

That's you not me. And reading from your username, I see this is a low ball way to advertise....

audiophillia

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]I'm a little concerned about these device's target market. It seems to be in no mans land. Sure there will be a few rabid fans looking for a low cost gaming solutions (as evident from posts here and the amazing kickstarter results), but the casual market will likely be intimidated by a product like these unless the execution is exceptional. I also don't see many "hardcore" gamers finding value in them as they would rather have a more powerful console or are PC gamers/enthusiasts (who certainly don't need a device like this).[/citation]

I am going to have to disagree about the casual crowd statement. The casual crowd is more tech-savvy then we give them credit for and I think they can handle identifying an hdmi port. I could see this working wonders for my friend who is a SNES, NES fan. Just load it down with emulators and he is ready to roll.

audiophillia

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]What's the point of this...what am going to play with this...Angry birds? Fruit Ninja? With a controller??? Duh.[/citation]

I imagine emulators more than anything. the controller gives a snes/dualshock vibe.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
at first i was kinda interested in Ouya and this Gamestick, but after finding out you need to repurchase your Android Apps in order to play the games that was a huge "hell no!" Stupid deal killer!!!

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
>Y, A
Hmmm...alright...even though Y should be always on top, it's rule made by gods themselves, you don't deny gods
>P, L
What the funk are you doing? Too hipster, guys...too hipster and "rad". Ugh.

Well, aside from all that, looks decent...

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]audiophillia[/nom]I am going to have to disagree about the casual crowd statement. The casual crowd is more tech-savvy then we give them credit for and I think they can handle identifying an hdmi port. I could see this working wonders for my friend who is a SNES, NES fan. Just load it down with emulators and he is ready to roll.[/citation]

Someone using an emulator is not a casual. NES games actually had a way higher skill curve than today's "Press X during cutscene" fare.

Sure, it's good for emulators I guess, but does it allow multiplayer? The Ouya does, and that would be preferable for an emulator solution for the extra $20. The Ouya would actually be better in every way since it's also been shown to have some 3rd party interest already.

Really though, where's the market for either one? The amount of people who actually are going to buy these just to run emulation and don't already have a device they can plug in to do it is pretty small. A decent HTPC can run some ps2 and even Wii games, Android barely pushes PS1 properly. Modern gamers aren't going to be satisfied with the quality level of most of the games actually planned for it, and the launch window for Ouya has no need to have games. Mobile gamers are used to games that use simplistic swiping, expecting them to get used to gamepad controls is like expecting a console pro to use KB/Mouse. Games made for smartphones are not going to be optimized for these devices.

Ouya's already getting a place made in the failed console hall of fame, and Gamestick probably won't even get in the doors there.

anonym0us3

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
I think the concept of both the OUYA and the GameStick (at intended endgame) is less a focus on emulators and ports, and more at providing a home developer market not seen since the days of the earliest personal computers. The Apple IIs, the Commodore 64s, the Spectrums, the Amstrads, the Amigas and the like.

These are both consoles anyone can develop a game for if they want - without having to pay for expensive DevKits, Certification and going through a lengthy approvals process (not to mention licensing fees) as found on other home consoles from the big three.

That, and it provides an easy way to develop for a single hardware configuration geared at the "gamer" (which consoles still provide) - rather than having to develop your game for multiple variants of smartphone or PC if funding is tight.

On the consumer level, the target is a lot more focussed. They're aiming at people who DON'T want to feel like they're "limited" to the image of casual, touch-screen only games that are found on tablets and smartphones (rightly or wrongly), while lying back on the couch where a keyboard and mouse setup just does not work. We're talking here about the Indie Gamer. The type of person who plays games designed purely for the XBLA/PlayStation Network/Steam crowd - where the experiences are perceived (rightly or wrongly) as soulless, corporate creations suffering from Franchise Syndrome or Sequeliits.

I guess you could say the console is for the "NerdCore Niche". There's certainly enough of them out there to provide a potential audience for smaller game projects that are geared to traditional gamepad controls if we go by the Kickstarter pages. That and I'm certain anyone who wants to invest in one of these console devices is not going to imagine the next Triple-A hardcore gamer game among the releases that are no doubt incoming. People buying these will be doing so (in the main) eyes wide open.

My concern, though, is that price wise you get a much better value for money proposition from the Quad Core Tegra SoC powered OUYA than the Dual Core, low-end, A9 ARM based SoC in the GameStick (which has to keep inside a heat and power envelope equivalent to a USB Memory Stick). I think the GameStick is going to find itself rapidly limited by the lack of a touchpad and its lack of power and functionality when compared to its $20 more expensive competitor, not to mention OUYA's mandate of Free2Play/Free2Try only being touted as THE selling point of the console and GameStick have yet to make a similar claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.