Sign in with
Your question

New Pc spec. need opinions and a few answers lol

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2006 7:39:01 PM

hey guys. here is my new pc spec with helped adjustments from soem tohers on this board.

Please tell me what you think. (good for gaming or apps etc.)

and a few of my questions:
1. will i need the sata to ide dongle?
2. i had another but i have totally forgotten
3. if i have my graphics card i wont need a video card if i dont wanna watch tv right?
4. is my gfx card direct x compatible or w/e
MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION
5. should i change to the E6400 CPU? is it worth svaing the money is there a large difference etc.

and here it comes.

============
Intel core 2 duo E6600
===========
ECS motherboard , http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?P...
===========
320gb harddrive http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?P...
==========
1gb ddr2 RAM http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=MEK-D...
=========
cheap as dvd/cdrw http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=CRL-L...
========
dongle SATA to IDE http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/106549
==========

Asus Nvidia 7600GT 256MB DDR3 TV out DVI PCI-E

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/111198
==========
500w psu
SILVERSTONE SST-ST50EF ATX12V 500W Power Supply 90 - 264 V
========
monitor, casing etc.

so thats the lowdown. wat ya think?
November 30, 2006 8:05:11 PM

Quote:
1. will i need the sata to ide dongle?

Can't find a single thing in that set up that would require said dongle.
November 30, 2006 8:21:11 PM

Get 2GB RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my 2 pence.
Related resources
November 30, 2006 9:02:28 PM

1: Most motherboards come with both types of cables.
2: That sucks
3: Graphics cards are the same as Video cards. You won't need a Tuner card if you're not watching TV, so just don't buy one.
4: Every graphics card is DX compatible, but the version is what you're looking for. The very newest cards (curently only the 8800 series cards) are DX10 compatible, which you need Windows Vista for. The 8800 series is still faster than anything out there even on DX9 games. Almost all other cards you will find on sale are DX9 compatible, but look for nothing less than DX9.0c for SM3 and other enhancements.
5: Stick with the E6600 if you can. The added speed + 2mb more L2 cache will help out. Newegg.com has a deal till tomorrow on the E6600 and an EVGA motherboard combo! I have an EVGA board and I love it.

Hope it helps! I'd also suggest buying an EVGA video card as well. Lifetime waranty including overclocking AND changing out the fan/heatsink (if you're in to that), and the Step-Up program is very nice. Within 3 months of the purchase of your card, you're invited to sell it back to EVGA for the purchase price towards a new video card. So, let's say you can spend $200 now for a card but you'll have an extra $300 in a couple months, trade it in for a $500 card! I did it...it rocks. I'll never buy from another company.
December 1, 2006 3:37:03 PM

that sucks? did u mean that sucks that i forgot or the spec sucks?

goodj i dont need the dongle thats cleared things up? wat would be the best gfx card i can get for cheapest price then?/ for running demanding games. becuse having a quick look at the 8800 series and thgat is a million miles out of my budget
December 1, 2006 3:47:51 PM

"That sucks" that you forgot what #2 was :p  No biggie.

You shouldn't have to buy any IDE/SATA cables if you're buying a new motherboard. They usually come with them.

Well it's all about your budget. There are "best" cards but it's in each price range. How much do you want to spend on a graphics card?
December 1, 2006 3:54:28 PM

hmmm well my budget may change soon for the better. however since coming here i have been told to increase psu and do minor thngs thagt all pump it up lol.

well its not so much how much i wanna spend its how much i want it to do. but wat would be a card that could handle todays games on full graphics in the raqnge of about £100 (dunno dollars, about 220 i guess). The is my first go and im running it by you guys cus i dont wnna compile it and not work how i want it to.

also.. will this go quick in general. i.e. running itunes,msn,photoshop/premier,andfirefox, several downloads etc. multitaskin kinda thing. and when gaming i shall have no other programs on ofcourse lo.l
December 1, 2006 4:07:54 PM

For around $220 you're looking at a 7900GS (eVGA, $209 on Newegg). Very strong card for the price. 256mb GDDR3 and 256bit memory interface makes it way better than the previous generation in that range.

Absolutely you'll be able to run all that at the same time! That processor is king of multitasking and I'm going to bet that you could even run games pretty well at the same time. I'm using an AMD X2 3800+ OC 2.3GHz, 2GB memory, 7900GT KO 512, and I can play DAoC with Vent, AIM, IE7/Firefox, D/L'ing (with D/L manager of course), and listen to music at the same time and not ever notice the difference. Those apps have very little effect on your video card (except photoshop). That's all your CPU/RAM right there. So your processor, which is probably 2x faster than mine, and similar RAM, you'll fly through anything. I have a friend with less of a system than my own and she does all that + plays EQ2 at full quality. You're set man.
December 1, 2006 4:11:47 PM

i pissed myself with happiness when you said that. the thought of running soooo many programs at once is a GOD SEND. right well aslong as that card can do me justice in the gaming world im sorted.

when u say it is good. you mean latest games on full graphics yes?

i just had a talk with a techy friend. he reckons i wont need the expensive psu. wat do u think?
December 1, 2006 4:22:38 PM

Well you get what you pay for in graphics. You'll be able to run the latest games and you could run them at HIGH graphics, but people pay $600/card to be able to run the latest games at absolutely full-blown graphics. It'll still be good for ya though! It's a great card. Just keep your resolutions low enough for the performance you're looking for. One thing to do is to keep AA lower (2x max) and AA at around 4x for decent graphics and good performance. In-game settings, you'll be able to run full graphics.

If you go with EVGA, the great thing with them is their Step-Up program. Like you said, you might get more than you thought. If you end up getting an EVGA 7900GS and then get more money (and wished you got a better card), just sell it back to them for the full purchase price and buy a better one! I went from the 7800GT to the 7900GT KO 512 for FREE (minus some shipping) because of it. It's 2x better card. So even if this card doesn't do you justice, you got 3 months to trade 'er in.

You will not need a huge PSU with that. The C2D processor uses a lot less power than previous processors, and that video card isn't much of a power hog either. I'd go with nothing less than 400watts, and even 500watts if you plan on getting a better video card. You can find a good PSU anywhere from $50 to $150+. I spent $100 on my 580watt Hyper PSU and it's sexah. The thing you want to worry about is quality. In your situation, you have a lot more options available to you since you're not in need of a giant PSU. But a PSU can be the bane of your rig if it's crappy quality, so go with a trusted manufacturer.
December 1, 2006 4:50:16 PM

Here's your build for you, all from Ebuyer (numbers are the quickfind numbers, all prices are VAT inc.):

Case: Icute with 350w PSU (91831) £35
Mobo: MSI P965 Neo-F (114958) £69
CPU: Core2Duo E6600 (112706) £209
Memory: 2gb Ebuyer 6400s (116357) £150
Graphics: POV 7600gt (106578) £102
HDD: WD 320gb SATA (108830) £63
DVD-RW: Sony 18x (116255) £20

All comes to just under £650, without the monitor, obviously. I'd go with the MSI board because it has really good reviews and is v. cheap, the ebuyer memory is fully tested before sending out and is dirt cheap, and the E6600 is the a top performing CPU at a very reasonable price if you're not overclocking. If you are overclocking, get the E6300: it's an amazing overclocker even with the stock fan (and would save you £88 which you could splurge on the graphics, a much better use of cash if you're into games). As for GFX, the 7900GS is a better card, but it's another £40 so I thought I'd just leave it. Finally, don't think the case is cheap: it's an absolute corker for the price, and the PSU is very reliable and sufficient for your purposes.
December 1, 2006 5:26:16 PM

Quote:
Here's your build for you, all from Ebuyer (numbers are the quickfind numbers, all prices are VAT inc.):

Case: Icute with 350w PSU (91831) £35
Mobo: MSI P965 Neo-F (114958) £69
CPU: Core2Duo E6600 (112706) £209
Memory: 2gb Ebuyer 6400s (116357) £150
Graphics: POV 7600gt (106578) £102
HDD: WD 320gb SATA (108830) £63
DVD-RW: Sony 18x (116255) £20

All comes to just under £650, without the monitor, obviously. I'd go with the MSI board because it has really good reviews and is v. cheap, the ebuyer memory is fully tested before sending out and is dirt cheap, and the E6600 is the a top performing CPU at a very reasonable price if you're not overclocking. If you are overclocking, get the E6300: it's an amazing overclocker even with the stock fan (and would save you £88 which you could splurge on the graphics, a much better use of cash if you're into games). As for GFX, the 7900GS is a better card, but it's another £40 so I thought I'd just leave it. Finally, don't think the case is cheap: it's an absolute corker for the price, and the PSU is very reliable and sufficient for your purposes.

Everything there looks good, except for the psu. A 350w psu, especially a generic one, probably won't cut it to run a 7600GT. Even if does work, it could have stability issues. It'd be well worth it to invest in a quality, name brand psu of at least 400w, IMO.
December 1, 2006 5:28:26 PM

^^

I agree. Go with a name-brand trusted PSU with at least 400watts. Don't want to gimp on the PSU and watch your processor, RAM, and video card start sparking because you wanted a cheapo one. Then you've lost your entire investment :-/
December 1, 2006 5:56:39 PM

I'm sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. People have been using this case and PSU for ages, and it's been had universal praise. I myself still use this case for 3 HDDs, a dual core CPU and a 7900gto, so unless the 7600gt is more power-hungry it should be fine! Why does the addition of a brand name make a difference? If it has received unanimous praise over a couple of years, what difference does slapping 'Antec' or 'Hiper' on it make? Why spend more?
December 1, 2006 6:36:36 PM

http://www.trustedreviews.com/peripherals/review/2005/0...

Here's a good review about what to look for in a PSU. Today, 350watts might be ok for a single-HDD one fan rig, but you rarely ever see a computer sold today with anything less than 400watts. Reason being upgradability (you lose that with a lower PSU). If he gets something that will only be OK right now, then he'll have to buy a new one later on if he wants any more hard-drives, any cooling devices, faster processor, faster video card (and even with 400watts he's completely unable to do SLI), anything like that.

One factor that's CRUCIAL is the amperage. Lower-wattage PSUs don't offer enough amperage for video cards today. A single 7900GT card will require 24amps at least. My PSU, 580watts, has 38amps total on two rails and is not suitable for even current 7950GX2 SLI setups!
December 2, 2006 8:53:51 AM

wah! with all the glithyness etc. those like 5 piosts you helped me with leo have been deleted. would it be possible for you to link me to that graphics card again?
!