Help with memory choice please

G

For some reason, your link default back to the home page, list the memory part and the price, it's good enough =)

Ryan220

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Sorry about the links - not good with that sort of thing

the parts are

2 Gig - OCZ Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 (4-4-4-15) £176.24

or

2 Gig - GeIl Ultra PC6400C4 Dual channel kit, ultra low latency (4-4-4-12) (with the orange spreaders) £182.11

They're in the Overclockers "this week only" section

Thanks

G

I've read that some people had a few issue with Geil and 965 chipset. I do think they OC further but like Dario said, both will do!

Ryan220

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Thanks for the replies (some seem to have disappeared for some reason :?: )

Anyway, I have bought the 2 gig OCZ 6400 Platinum Rev 2.

Should I use it on its own or use it with my old 1 gg OCZ 533 Gold Gamer extreme mem.

My gut says use only the new stuff but Im certainly no expert.

Advice appreciated

Cheers

G

You can use all the 4 sticks, but I think 2 gig would be enough and if you want to push the ram to 800mhz(6400) speed, you will be much better off with only the new stuff.

I suggest using only the new stuff, if at a certain point you feel like you could use 3 gigs, you might go ahead and use it

Ryan220

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Well, my new OCZ Plat memory arrived.

I stuck it in the machine and........its not working correctly.

The machine is not stable no matter what timings or voltage I run the memory at and I havent even tried overclocking it yet.

NFS Carbon and 3dmarks wont run without hanging.

I have the memory in and out a few times, checked all my connections had the HSF on and off and still no luck.

If I put my old OCZ 533 back in the machine runs absolutely fine.

Unless anyone has any ideas Im going to ring OCZ/ Overclockers and get it replaced.