which PSU to buy?

awillys

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hi there,

just wondering which would be an appropriate PSU for me to buy considering the below config:
Mobo: asus P5N32 SLI Premium
CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz

The problem i am having at the moment is that the PSU sometimes overheats and my computer just immediatly switches off.

What I would need is something more powerfull i guess but also silent if possible.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Antonio

G

What is your current PSU?
and video card?

I would look for a goof branded 450-500W, complete list of parts and we'll tell you about it!

awillys

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I don't know about the previous questions really. All i know is that the PSU is broken anyway as there is even a weird sound. I need to buy one in all cases so i just want to make a good choice....

Regards,
Ant.

G

On the Asus Cd you Got a program called PC probe, it would be a shame to buy a new PSU for no reason, I suggest you install it and look at the temps just to make sure!

For budget conscious I suggest the FSP 500W, it says 15A on both rails but everyone says it's under rated and more like 18A on each, or like Actual 15A that can be combined...

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
My GP card is a Radeaon X1950XTX
My current PSU is an unbranded 650W

Thanks in advance.
Antonio

Let me put it this way, whether or not the psu is the problem, I would
still get a new, quality, one anyway. You have good stuff in there protect it. Cheap psu failures can be catastrophic.

awillys

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Let me put it this way, whether or not the psu is the problem, I would
still get a new, quality, one anyway. You have good stuff in there protect it. Cheap psu failures can be catastrophic.

I agree with that.
and money is not a problem.
I want the best PSU possible!

cheers

G

Well I do agree with you, just saying that it's not mandatory.

With PSU, you get what you pay for. that PC P&C is really nice, but serious overkill for your rig, on the other hand it should last you 3+ years(if you upgrade..)

snyper133

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Well see I always upgrade every year and I make sure I get an overkill power supply just so I get the most stability out of the system.

awillys

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Well see I always upgrade every year and I make sure I get an overkill power supply just so I get the most stability out of the system.

I'll go for the PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer S75EPS PSU even if it seem that it can be found only for 233GBP here in the UK :/