Upgrade help

opsman

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I've got a Intel P4 3.0GHz processor and am trying to upgrade my system. Need to upgrade using 478 socket. I'm assuming I can upgrade to a 3.8GHz but would it make more sense changing the motherboard out? Would a LGA 775 give me more flexibility? I'm looking to find out what the greatest % of improvement might be for the least bit of money. I'm trying to work within a $300 budget.

thanks,
opsman

opsman

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Connect 3D 64MB ATI Radeon X300 graphics card, 1 gig DDR2 SDRAM, and an Intel 925X mobo.

I know I should upgrade the RAM but should I also be looking elsewhere to upgrade?

I use it primarily for multimedia/business.

thanks,

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well, to get a good system upgrade that really sets foot in speed and performance that will be noticable to you (instead of thinking about a 300 dollar upgrade) I think it's smart to wait till you are able to get an E6300/E6400 Intel duo core setup. Orelse it will not be worth the 300 dollars and nothing will change in your situation. You might as well trow it (300 dollar) into sea. So my advise would be....try and save some money for an Abit AB9 with E6300 (if you can get E6400 do get it as it's got an extra multiplier worth the overlock money). The memory you should be searching for would be a brand that delivers DDR2-800 with cl4-4-4-12 timings (this timing is important if you want it to run a little faster then 1.8ghz on both cores). This is also very important if you want to overclock around 3Ghz (advise, do read before overclocking as temperatures could damage your cpu). The upgrade in Euro's will cost you

Abit AB9 € 139,-
Intel Core 2 duo E6300 € 189,-
G.E.I.L. 1 GB DDR2-800 cl4-4-4-12 € 139,-

Total € 467,- ($ 546)

Sorry if I'm telling you this but I had some really heavy/strange comments about some post some time ago cause I was not accurate enough according to some crazy forum men that wanted me to give the answer they wanted to hear but I think that's bullshit...I'm just trying to save you from trowing money into the sea as there are no cpu's that run across 4 Ghz yet without overclocking....so the only smart thing to do when you really want to notice some difference in pc speed would be a multicore. This is why I advise you to save more money (if needed) and buy an Intel duo core setup....not an Amd X2 setup as they are lagging behind in speed compared with Intel duo core that comes with a cheaper price.

Also if you only have 300 dollars to spend and really can't wait for an upgrade I could advise you to buy a WD Raptorx 150Gb and use it as your main system (windows) drive. That will really speed up your system when it comes to heavy loading times usually caused by heavy games and heavy applications.

When you have like 512/1024MB memory I would upgrade that to 2GB in the first place if possible. But only if you just can't wait any longer for a decent upgrade. Well, hope I gave you some good insight on your question. If you are looking for a new >>cpu<< setup for around 300 dollar I just can't help you as it is impossible.