Understanding xp verification process

January 2, 2005 10:16:32 PM

can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to the xp cd. Is
my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more generic?
thanks
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:16:33 PM

zeldaber wrote:
> can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to the xp cd. Is
> my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more generic?
> thanks

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
(OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:16:33 PM

Hi,

The key is specific to a version - EG: Retail WinXP Pro full version, WinXP
Home OEM full version, Retail WinXP Pro Upgrade, etc. As long as the disk is
the same, then the key should work with it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
> can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to the xp cd.
> Is
> my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more generic?
> thanks

January 2, 2005 11:38:48 PM

In news:cr9haf$mpu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
zeldaber <free@free.com> typed:

> can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to
> the xp
> cd. Is my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more
> generic?

If you're asking whether each CD will work only with a particlaur
product key, not that's not true. That would require creating a
different CD for each customer, and the cost of doing that would
be far greater than the way it's done. XP Professional CDs are
different from XP Home CDs, and Full versions are different from
Upgrade versions, which are also different from OEM versions. But
within each category, they are all identical.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 12:43:54 AM

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
> (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.

Are you absolutely positive about the language part? I have been working in
environments with both english and norwegian versions of Windows, and I have
on several occasions used a product key from one language on a CD of another
language. For instance I recently installed a norwegian XP Pro with a key I
got from an english XP Pro CD.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 12:54:17 AM

OS WinXPpro, Sp1 and all updates EXCEPT SP2
(Installing SP2 causes BSOD, when Win splash screen should ghange to logon
screen, event though I've kept all drivers updated. I suspect either a
program or my TV-tuner (Hercules SmartTV) as culprits)

Small problem:
msconfig doesn't work from Start->Run
It works if DblClicked in C:WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries

Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH

It also exist in C.\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (and
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\I386 )

I don't remember that I have done anything to my machine, at least since
last MSUpdate round Dec. 14th .......

And, Help and Support doesn't work anymore, but I found some instructions
for that on Kellys_Korner

(Also, my Ghost 9.0 CD doesn't complete boot anymore. It does it's normal
booting for ~10min (the progress bar at bottom finishes and some 2-3mins),
and then BSODs, complaining about GOBACK2K.SYS)

System is: (HW) ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB
100MHz), 512MB (SDRAM @133MHz, 256+2*128)), 120+80GB HDs (primary IDE), DVD
and CD-RW(sec. IDE), GF2MX200 (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, Hercules
SmartTV, D-Link NetNic(DRN-32TX),Godegen Noble ATX8012 case with 350 power
supply, 80mm rear-mounted exhaust fan, external Zyxel P645R ADSL modem.

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> zeldaber wrote:
> > can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to the xp
cd. Is
> > my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more generic?
> > thanks
> >

> Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
> (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
> For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
> version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
> An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
> vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
> product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
> Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 6:46:09 AM

Sorry, meant to start a new thread and not comment on this...

--

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:o EqlZTQ8EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

!