Understanding xp verification process

can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to the xp cd. Is
my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more generic?
thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about understanding verification process

    zeldaber wrote:
    > can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to the xp cd. Is
    > my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more generic?
    > thanks

    Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
    (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
    For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
    version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
    An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
    vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
    product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
    Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    The key is specific to a version - EG: Retail WinXP Pro full version, WinXP
    Home OEM full version, Retail WinXP Pro Upgrade, etc. As long as the disk is
    the same, then the key should work with it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    In news:cr9haf$mpu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    zeldaber <free@free.com> typed:

    > can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to
    > the xp
    > cd. Is my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more
    > generic?

    If you're asking whether each CD will work only with a particlaur
    product key, not that's not true. That would require creating a
    different CD for each customer, and the cost of doing that would
    be far greater than the way it's done. XP Professional CDs are
    different from XP Home CDs, and Full versions are different from
    Upgrade versions, which are also different from OEM versions. But
    within each category, they are all identical.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
    > (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.

    Are you absolutely positive about the language part? I have been working in
    environments with both english and norwegian versions of Windows, and I have
    on several occasions used a product key from one language on a CD of another
    language. For instance I recently installed a norwegian XP Pro with a key I
    got from an english XP Pro CD.

    OS WinXPpro, Sp1 and all updates EXCEPT SP2
    (Installing SP2 causes BSOD, when Win splash screen should ghange to logon
    screen, event though I've kept all drivers updated. I suspect either a
    program or my TV-tuner (Hercules SmartTV) as culprits)

    Small problem:
    msconfig doesn't work from Start->Run
    It works if DblClicked in C:WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries

    Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH

    It also exist in C.\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (and
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\I386 )

    I don't remember that I have done anything to my machine, at least since
    last MSUpdate round Dec. 14th .......

    And, Help and Support doesn't work anymore, but I found some instructions
    for that on Kellys_Korner

    (Also, my Ghost 9.0 CD doesn't complete boot anymore. It does it's normal
    booting for ~10min (the progress bar at bottom finishes and some 2-3mins),
    and then BSODs, complaining about GOBACK2K.SYS)

    System is: (HW) ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB
    100MHz), 512MB (SDRAM @133MHz, 256+2*128)), 120+80GB HDs (primary IDE), DVD
    and CD-RW(sec. IDE), GF2MX200 (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, Hercules
    SmartTV, D-Link NetNic(DRN-32TX),Godegen Noble ATX8012 case with 350 power
    supply, 80mm rear-mounted exhaust fan, external Zyxel P645R ADSL modem.

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > zeldaber wrote:
    > > can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to the xp
    cd. Is
    > > my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more generic?
    > > thanks
    > >

    > Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
    > (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
    > For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
    > version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
    > An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
    > vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
    > product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
    > Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Sorry, meant to start a new thread and not comment on this...

    --

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > OS WinXPpro, Sp1 and all updates EXCEPT SP2
    > (Installing SP2 causes BSOD, when Win splash screen should ghange to logon
    > screen, event though I've kept all drivers updated. I suspect either a
    > program or my TV-tuner (Hercules SmartTV) as culprits)
    >

    > Small problem:
    > msconfig doesn't work from Start->Run
    > It works if DblClicked in C:WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries
    >
    > Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
    > PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    >

    > It also exist in C.\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (and
    > C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\I386 )
    >
    > I don't remember that I have done anything to my machine, at least since
    > last MSUpdate round Dec. 14th .......
    >
    > And, Help and Support doesn't work anymore, but I found some instructions
    > for that on Kellys_Korner
    >

    > (Also, my Ghost 9.0 CD doesn't complete boot anymore. It does it's normal
    > booting for ~10min (the progress bar at bottom finishes and some 2-3mins),
    > and then BSODs, complaining about GOBACK2K.SYS)
    >

    > System is: (HW) ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB
    > 100MHz), 512MB (SDRAM @133MHz, 256+2*128)), 120+80GB HDs (primary IDE),
    DVD
    > and CD-RW(sec. IDE), GF2MX200 (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, Hercules
    > SmartTV, D-Link NetNic(DRN-32TX),Godegen Noble ATX8012 case with 350 power
    > supply, 80mm rear-mounted exhaust fan, external Zyxel P645R ADSL modem.
    >
    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >

    > "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > > zeldaber wrote:
    > > > can someone explain to me please how my product key relates to the xp
    > cd. Is
    > > > my key specific to my actual cd or is the cd more generic?
    > > > thanks
    > > >

    > > Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
    > > (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
    > > For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
    > > version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
    > > An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
    > > vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
    > > product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
    > > Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Bruce Chambers
    > >
    > > Help us help you:
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > > both at once. - RAH

Windows XP Microsoft CD-Rom