Nvidia Intros Tegra 4i System-on-Chip with Integrated LTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]I want this.That reference phone looks amazing. Why do people insist upon making fugly phones..[/citation]
I agree, now if we could only get something better than Android...

bobafert

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Use this in the Galaxy 4 pricing scheme. $300 off contract with an attractive design. That would be right up my alley.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Finally an article worth reading.

ankit: it's hype on your side. It says it's not a powerful processor, that it is for it's segment so don't expect it to kick SnapDragons, etc.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
A. Based on Cortex-A9, why should we be excited this is old architecture?

B. "Nvidia’s Tegra 4i appears to outperform the leading integrated LTE chip significantly"
What do they consider "leading integrated LTE chip"? I would say right now it has to be the Snapdragon S4 Pro.

Wow, 1.2mm² and 2.7mm² cores are impossibly tiny!
Are you sure they do not mean 1.2cm² and 2.7cm² cores (120mm² and 270mm² respectively)?

Other than that, A9 based cores are a bit of a turn off but should still perform good enough for nearly all mobile applications.
Upping the GPU core count from 12 to 60 should help address one of the Tegra 3's largest deficiencies.
Now, if only they would increase their tiny 32-bit memory bus....

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]Wow, 1.2mm² and 2.7mm² cores are impossibly tiny!Are you sure they do not mean 1.2cm² and 2.7cm² cores (120mm² and 270mm² respectively)?[/citation]

I think that's for each individual A9 core. Not the whole die.

[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]I wonder what the power consumption is. It probably isn't too relevant considering that most of the power is used by the screen.[/citation]

I wonder about that too. It is still very relevant because it is closely linked to CPU heat generation, which in turn is determinant to phone design.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]Wow, 1.2mm² and 2.7mm² cores are impossibly tiny!Are you sure they do not mean 1.2cm² and 2.7cm² cores (120mm² and 270mm² respectively)?Other than that, A9 based cores are a bit of a turn off but should still perform good enough for nearly all mobile applications.Upping the GPU core count from 12 to 60 should help address one of the Tegra 3's largest deficiencies.Now, if only they would increase their tiny 32-bit memory bus....[/citation]

It's definitely per core, likely without the L2, so multiply that by 5 and add a few mm^2 and you've got the section of the die allocated to the A9s. GPU cores and space used up by the various decoders, encoders and radios seem to take up most of the space.

This'll be aimed at phones like the HTC One V that are free on a 2 year or

senupe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Based on Cortex-A9[/citation]
I tought that was a typo, because Cortex A and R series are different, i guess like you said they meant Cortex-A9.
Cortex-A9:
Cortex-R4:

senupe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]renz496[/nom]i think they called it as Cortex-A9 R4. the revision was done by nvidia and send to ARM for approval. but it seems this 4th revion is not exclusive to nvidia which means other ARM licensee can it as well. they claim this revision will be 15-30% faster at the same clock compared to previous A9 design. more about it here: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/39 [...] er-sibling[/citation]
Thank you for clarification :)

Mahesh Mandwal

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
we are provide Telecommunication notes and study material is a collection of telecommunication GSM,3G,4G,UMTS,HSDPA and LTE tutorials and other report significant for telecom professionals. that provide to help in telecommunication filed.

Status
Not open for further replies.