Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP on SATA HD?

Last response: in Storage
November 30, 2006 10:38:32 PM

Hey all. I know there's been tons of posts like this but I can't seem to solve mine.

Pic

Soooo this folder is in the motherboard disc's "Drivers" folder. The picture up here (if it worked) is of an extracted ZIP from ASUS's website / what I can only assume are the more recent drivers off their convoluted site, it was off the Utilities bar under the motherboard's update bits (M2N-SLI Deluxe). Furthermore, this is the same number of / types of / names of files if I go to nVidia and get the nForce boards of my model (570SLi AMD).

When I F6 Windows as it's installing though and press 'S' to manually search for drivers, checking my A: drive (that had then included the drivers files shown in the image), it would ask for "nvatabus.sys", a file that is included in the "sataraid" folder. I tried installing with the nvatabus.sys included through this sataraid folder, but after formatting, Windows told me I needed to have included nVidia RAID drivers before I continued with installation. So at about that point I needed to quit installation.

Anyway... trying to think of where I could get files that would make it install. The motherboard disc includes a "makedisk" option that just writes all the sataraid files to the disk. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

More about : windows sata

November 30, 2006 11:13:39 PM

Not the first time I have come across this problem in regards to Nvidia. What Nvidia drivers are you using? Not all of them are Microsoft WHQL certified even though the vendor says they are.

What happens is that when you F6 to install the SATA drivers for a raid configuration Windows will complete the install but then revert to its own drivers on the next reboot since it can't find a valid WHQL signiture on the drivers.

The best way around this is to build a Windows slipstream install CD using nLite. You will be able to create a custom Windows install CD with the correct raid drivers and any other updates you want to add, ie. SP2 if your original CD doesn't include it.

You can get additional information on the ( yea I know... :oops:  ) Microsoft TechNet about this issue and how to use Nlite to build a slipstream installation.

Hope this helps...
November 30, 2006 11:39:20 PM

Hm, sorry, I sorta forget bits of this I guess: I'm trying to get it to install as a SATA IDE type, not RAID. The nVidia drivers are WHQL certified. My issue is that it keeps asking for files like txtSetup.oem and nvatabus.sys, which are only included in the SATA RAID folders, and seem to only execute like SATARAID files when installed under F6 installation. -However-, the F6 brings up "nVidia Serial ATA Storage Controller", and recognized it well enough to format the hard drive. But then afterwards it asks for the remaining RAID drivers. Hm.
Related resources
December 1, 2006 11:52:56 AM

You need all the drivers since the OS sees the SATA controller and drives as a SCSI device. Since you don't want RAID, did you set the bios to IDE before you did the OS install?
December 1, 2006 1:02:34 PM

Yes, my BIOS is set up with RAID disabled in every way, but the SATA controller hardware enabled. Aaaand I'm not sure how it happened, but I tried to install it without using F6 and it miraculously can boot to Windows. I'm so shocked that Windows had not screwed me on this. <3 @ that
December 1, 2006 2:08:47 PM

This would be correct, generally speaking if you are not planning to use SATA in raid mode you can use the default set of Windows drivers so long as you have the appropriate BIOS settings.
December 1, 2006 2:50:06 PM

LoL - I was gonna say, pressing F6 is not necessary because there is full native BIOS support to boot from SATA already.
So problem solved?
L8R
December 2, 2006 5:14:12 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to get it to install as a SATA IDE type, not RAID.

If you're not using raid, I don't believe you need to hit F6 to install anything. F6 is ONLY to install RAID and AHCI drivers. If you're just installing a single SATA HDD, you shouldn't need to do that.

I have the Gigabyte 965P-S3 and a Seagate 250GB SATA HDD. NO F6 needed. Windows formatted and installed without a hitch using Win2K Pro SP1. XP will have a problem recognizing your full hard drive if it's over 120GB, but that's a different story. :) 
December 3, 2006 2:48:22 AM

AMDThunder, I am also using the same Gigabyte mobo you have and am installing a 160GB Seagate SATA hard drive. I am confused about the F6 part; you said I only need to hit that if Im using RAID? I was reading 2 setup articles:

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_sata_install_windows_...

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc-installing/windows-xp...

And both said you need to hit F6(They just said for SATA, didn't say anything about RAID). My problem is that when I put in the boot floppy disk made from Seagate's Diskwizard, Windows says "The file txtsetup.oem could not be found." But..if I don't hit F6, it DOES detect the hard drive, but as 131GB, and as you said, the size limitation is another issue? But wasnt this fixed in XP SP1? I know for sure the CD Im using isnt SP 2, but I think its SP1.... what should I do?
December 3, 2006 3:21:51 AM

Okay... So I've got Windows up and running and all my drivers loaded up, everything's going fine, but I need to know: How can I get the "Safely Remove Hardware" button to stop recognizing my hard drive as something it can remove? Aside from disabling Write Caching, of course.
December 3, 2006 4:30:26 AM

That's a good question. Mine's doing the same thing. Just the little icon in the sys tray. No biggie for me.

Did you get it to recognize the rest of your drive?
December 3, 2006 4:33:21 AM

You need SP2 to get beyond that GB limitation.Go to windows Update and download it.You can also order a CD with SP2 on it from Microsoft for free.It won`t cost you anything.I can`t remember the link,I think I found it at PCWorld.Once you get SP2 installed,I think Windows XP 32 Bit has a 2TB limit.I hpoe this helps.
January 14, 2009 9:07:42 PM

I have a situation unique in it's scenario. I'm building a pc for the first time (yeah I'm still new!!!heh) So, anyway, I'm basing the entire build around this AardvarkQ10 pci card/interface.

Problems have arisen with my current setup that, after doing some research, found that the drivers to my card are conflicting with windows service pack 2 (which is what I'm running on it) to the point which has caused corruption of my system32 registry :cry:  . I've come to the conclusion that a much better route of action for me would be to build an entire new computer with just WindowXP with SP1 (which the drivers have no conflict at all) rather than purchase a new audio card with interface at around $2000 :o  .

I would consider trying to keep my current setup but I cannot run my 320g hardrive without SP2!!! and doing audio recording is very harddrive consuming, I need massive space.

Anyways the relevance is that I'm gonna get SATA harddrives and this will be my first experience installing motherboards, bios settings, installing xp onto sata, blah blah.... :sweat: 

and I'm understanding from this thread that with XP SP1 install I will still have the IDE harddrive limitation on a SATA drive?

If so, I'll probably just buy like four SATA drives I just don't wanna drop the cash for 1T drive and not even be able to use it!!! :heink: 
!