Sign in with
Your question

Multi-Core Processors and XP x64 / Vista

Last response: in CPUs
November 30, 2006 11:38:07 PM

Does anyone know definitively if Vista handles multi-core processor functionality better than XP x64? I know that it handles better than XP 32-bit as XP x64 does, but can someone tell me if Vista is definitely better in that regard than XP x64? Thanks much.
November 30, 2006 11:41:27 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know definitively if Vista handles multi-core processor functionality better than XP x64? I know that it handles better than XP 32-bit as XP x64 does, but can someone tell me if Vista is definitely better in that regard than XP x64? Thanks much.

The only thing Vista does better than XP is

a) Empty your bank account faster (via the many new upgrades just to get it to boot! as well as high sale price)
b) Consume vast quantities of computing power

But in all seriousness, Vista will likely perform mildly better than XP 64bit, but again, time will tell.
November 30, 2006 11:56:29 PM

Quote:

a) Empty your bank account faster (via the many new upgrades just to get it to boot! as well as high sale price)

But in all seriousness, Vista will likely perform mildly better than XP 64bit, but again, time will tell.

Thanks much for taking the time to reply. I do know the Vista is expensive and needs a current system. I just want to know for sure if it is better performance for multi-core processors than XP x64 with the latest hardware.
Related resources
November 30, 2006 11:58:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks much for taking the time to reply. I do know the Vista is expensive and needs a current system. I just want to know for sure if it is better performance for multi-core processors than XP x64 with the latest hardware.

I have not seen benchmarks designed to specifically address this question, so for the time being, its just speculation.
December 2, 2006 10:57:47 AM

Quote:

In some cases, apps run on XP will perform even better, especially in less powerful systems.
It's much like when XP came out; 2000 performed equally well and was less resource consuming, however, latter software requirements for a lot of sepvice packs on win2000 made XP a more comfortable platform.
!