Sign in with
Your question

Random chimes windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
June 17, 2011 7:31:57 PM

After updating Windows 7, I keep getting this 2-note chime every few minutes. There are no updates to install that I can detect, no errors that come up, no new email, no new window opening, nothing. I've restarted my computer and still have the problem. Help.

More about : random chimes windows

a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2011 7:54:34 PM

Hi Bruce!
Welcome to Tom's Hardware,

Best way to tell what is activating a .wav file is to go to the Control panel, choose 'Sounds', then click the 'Sounds' tab at the top. The go down the list of the choices with speaker icons next to them, and you can 'test' the sounds, till you find the culpret. That will tell you what program, like, Windows, IE, or whatever, the sound is originating in. Then check out that program for the causal event.

Do you have Office running from Vista, after the upgrade? Possibly Office is letting you know you have a reminder or mail. There you would go to File / Options / Mail or Advanced to find the sound controls.
m
l
June 24, 2011 2:52:12 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi Bruce!
Welcome to Tom's Hardware,

Best way to tell what is activating a .wav file is to go to the Control panel, choose 'Sounds', then click the 'Sounds' tab at the top. The go down the list of the choices with speaker icons next to them, and you can 'test' the sounds, till you find the culpret. That will tell you what program, like, Windows, IE, or whatever, the sound is originating in. Then check out that program for the causal event.

Do you have Office running from Vista, after the upgrade? Possibly Office is letting you know you have a reminder or mail. There you would go to File / Options / Mail or Advanced to find the sound controls.

Thanks for your response, John. I already had done what you suggested going through all the sounds. I found 2 that had the same sound, which I then changed to "none." To no avail. I did subsequently find that there were 4 things that the update was unable to backup, so I finally deleted those. I stopped getting the chimes as often and now they don't occur at all. Go figure. I guess time does heal all wounds. I appreciate your effort to help.

Bruce
m
l
!