Tried to upgrade, am now residing in Hades....

D1ll1g4f

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Kept getting blue screen of death.. Intel mother board, 440 chipset, Raid 1 twin 120's.. New mother board is PCI xprss, so new board, new graphics card, new processor... new ram........ didnt work.. evidently the change was too drastic for xp to keep in touch with. Put back all the old stuff, now i had one dead drive and a "disk read error" on the one that is "working".... so, question.... will the restore disk wipe the drive/drives if i try to run it? Is there anyway to salvage the data? Or should i bite the bullet, get a new drive, load xp on it and try to copy the data from the old drive...?

Any help will be most graciously accepted and muchly appreciated.

D1ll1...

Spiv

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
First off, trying to make a complete change in hardware spells certain doom for booting an OS. Even changing just the chipset on the motherboard can cause lots of problems.

I am stumped as to why your hard drives are now not working though. With all of the old hardware in there it should be exactly the same. Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and trying to access the drives there? With a Raid 1 array, you should be able to rescue the data by taking the good drive out of the array and simply using it by itself.

My suggestion would be to get a new drive for the new system (as IDE is on its way out if Intel has anything to say about it) and try to copy over as much as you can.

D1ll1g4f

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Thank you both. Yeah, I figure I blew one of the old drives away, have gone to single cable/single drive, but now get a write error. Unfortunately I only have the restore disk version of XP. So, I have resorted to Geek's on call. I will be paying premium to have my mess "hopefully" cleaned up. Now for the pc store, a full copy of XP and a new drive...

DrakeofGolkar

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
Is that a restore disk as in Compaq / Dell / HP original CD from the original Computer or is it an actual WindowsXP cd?
If it is a "Restore CD" not an actual "WindowsXP install CD" it will probably not work with the new motherboard and the Windows key will come up as invalid as well.
If it is an unbranded XP install cd and not a stuffed about with locked to the motherboard "Restore CD" then a new HDD and a clean install is definitly the way to go.
New HDDs are not horrendously expensive now so if your existing drives are dead or dying it is a good idea to replace them.
You could either hook the old drive in internally AFTER the install and updates etc are complete then do the data transfer or you could use an external HDD enclosure with the same procedure.

xyzzy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I do not know if this is the right place to ask this (newby) :?: I shipped my computer and the hd is having problems. I plan to get a new hard drive (WD 3200 ks). I have a GA-K8N Pro Motherboard with 2 sata (150)
can I use the above hard drive?and if so what cable do I use? I have A
SATA 150 cable (can I use this cable?)

xyzzy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I forgot to tell you that the drive is a sata2 drive. can I still use the cable?
(eg. are the cables/ plugs intercaangeable?)