Sign in with
Your question

Games that run better with 2GB Ram?

Last response: in Memory
December 1, 2006 1:15:10 AM

Are there actually games that run better with 2 GB ram as opposed to 1 GB?

More about : games run 2gb ram

December 1, 2006 1:44:32 AM

Yea, its called Vista.
December 1, 2006 1:45:02 AM

Oblivion for one,tho there are others
Related resources
December 1, 2006 1:48:23 AM

Yes. While any game can be played with only 1 GB (that's all I have at the moment), Battlefield 2, Oblivion, Flight Sim X, and too many other newer games to name, will benefit from 2 GB.
December 1, 2006 1:51:50 AM

Quote:
Yea, its called Vista.

Really? I didn't know Vista was a game. :p 
December 1, 2006 1:59:56 AM

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Battlefield 2/ 2142 are the ones that show the most improvement I think.

Oblivion shows no difference with 2gb.

I noticed the resolution they are running at, and at higher resolutions and settings it does give a very slight increase in FPS, but noticable increases in load times.
December 1, 2006 2:01:45 AM

Quote:
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Battlefield 2/ 2142 are the ones that show the most improvement I think.

[/img]

good post :) 
December 1, 2006 2:01:55 AM

Quote:

all of them.
December 1, 2006 2:04:43 AM

:D  Did I beat you to it? Took me awhile to find the article... is there an archive search tool somewhere?
December 1, 2006 2:09:00 AM

Quote:

I noticed the resolution they are running at, and at higher resolutions and settings it does give a very slight increase in FPS, but noticable increases in load times.

Excellent post, that's one of the primary games I was looking for. Thanks!
December 1, 2006 2:10:10 AM

Quote:

all of them.

yes of course more memory is always better.
December 1, 2006 2:15:37 AM

Quote:
:D  Did I beat you to it? Took me awhile to find the article... is there an archive search tool somewhere?

no just hooked up my comp.

just built a new one (kinda) i need a hdd and o.s.

used some parts from mine to see if it worked and it does. woohoo!
and whacthin some ufc.

went to buy a hdd ans winxp home today after work.
but we are having a pretty good snow storm so the local
staples was closed :evil: 

so whats up? you get beat up today :lol: 
December 1, 2006 2:16:12 AM

When I play CSS my G15 keyboard says that I am using 99% of my 1gig of ram!?!?! IF I put in 2 gigs will it use it all up also??
December 1, 2006 2:20:16 AM

Quote:
When I play CSS my G15 keyboard says that I am using 99% of my 1gig of ram!?!?! IF I put in 2 gigs will it use it all up also??

thats why i say get as much as you can afford.
though im fixing to take 2 512 xms out for the new comp for the g/f and kids.

that will leave me with the same 2 512,s
i will be losing some memory but will have
two good working computers. :) 
December 1, 2006 2:31:14 AM

:)  I am asking because i don't want to buy 2x512 Dual Channed ddr2 if I am going to need 2 Gigs...4 working computers in the house, all just DDR mobos.(sorry, one is 512 PC133 :oops:  ) I'd have no system to place the 2x512 DDR2 If I upgrade to 2x1024 duals. To heck with Vista, I would like to know what the games need. :) 
December 1, 2006 3:17:34 AM

If you want to be able to turn details up higher, you'll use more RAM in any game. 2GB is a must, never buy a 512 those sticks are a thing of the past. Get a 1GB DIMM and worry about dual channel later if u gotta. Before you know it games will be requiring 8 GB so chase that dragon!
December 1, 2006 3:37:12 AM

Quote:
If you want to be able to turn details up higher, you'll use more RAM in any game. 2GB is a must, never buy a 512 those sticks are a thing of the past. Get a 1GB DIMM and worry about dual channel later if u gotta. Before you know it games will be requiring 8 GB so chase that dragon!

Alright alright. 2GB dual channel DDR2. No compromises. I'd Imagine newer games and Vista will need it. After all, I am trying to "futureproof" my system for at least a year! :D 

Thanks Y'all. Welcome to December!
December 16, 2006 7:38:39 PM

Yes i have noticed a big difference with my old AGP system running BF2 with 6600gt with only 1gig of ram, later bought and poped in 512mb more and it ran a whole lot smoother.

Im sure running 2gb would be just as great, now that iv built a new pci-e system with once again only 1gb of ram bf2142 still runs like crap with my 7900GS which is why im buying another 2x512 to make it lag free.

but yes this does help alot when gaming atleast for FPS games if your into them.

This is with the graphics at high, its not gaming w/o high settings :D 
December 16, 2006 8:03:01 PM

Depends on the resolution and settings. I for sure Oblivion, BF2, FEAR, COD2, Q4, and other games I have running at 1280x1024 at highest settings with 4xAA runs better with 2Gb of ram compare to 1Gb.
December 16, 2006 8:13:29 PM

i play bf2 but not anymore, well not since i split up my memory
to make another computer.

it just plain sucks with 1gig. cant even fly a chopper. just too laggy.

on the bright side i do have 2 good computers now. :cry: 

now fear still plays good for me with 1gig.
December 16, 2006 8:37:28 PM

My new Core 2 system (with X1900XT) only has 1Gb of Ram and I've noitced some games take an age to load, namely Quake 4 and Company of Heroes. I've been told that if I have 2Gb's I should get more respectable loading times. Is that right?
December 16, 2006 8:49:27 PM

It should help, but honestly it will help mostly for loading the map again if you died in Quake. The initial load is still going to take roughly the same time.

I loaded Doom 3 into the same spot a few times in a row with 1 gig and it got faster each time. I took out a stick and with 512 the initial load took the same amount of time, but the following didn't improve.

You will probably notice a difference, I have never played CoH so I cannot make a guess for that one.

I did notice with more memory you dont get that few seconds of laggy play right when you load into Quake 4/ Doom 3/ BF2.

If you can afford it, 2GB is going to give you improvement, especially since you probably don't have ONLY your game open that is taking up resources.
December 16, 2006 9:58:44 PM

Most games wont increase in performance but load times will improve drastically and the possibility of hangups in the middle of playing due to background memory swap file swapping will reduce 10 fold.

As an added bonus your system wont run like a dog for a few minutes when you quit games while swapped out memory is swapped back in for programs
December 17, 2006 12:12:36 AM

scda, dark messiah, gothic 3. there are game that run better with 2gb ram.
December 17, 2006 12:51:41 AM

Well said, that is what I attempted to say but failed miserably.
December 17, 2006 7:29:10 AM

Oblivion, FEAR, NFS-Most Wanted, Carbon, many of the newer releases do. I know this for sure through testing my page file usage with this program: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_PageFileMon.zip (XP PageFile Monitor).

With the above games and 1gb of RAM, my page file usage was around 300mb written to each of 2 page files on different drives. When I upgraded to 2gb, the page file usage went down to only 2mb per page file. And I can feel an overall snappiness to games loading, exiting and smoothness in play.
Related resources
!