What amd should have done with quadfx

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
December 1, 2006 1:35:09 AM

Okay, Ive read the reviews are the situation is far more dire than i thought. The quadfx is still taking a ass whipping from intels juggernaut. I still think the quadfx is a helluva concept, however i think amd would haved fared better with using 2 65 or 89 watt processors, also who in the hell needs 12 sata ports and 4 pcie 16 slots. Amd is the company that pioneered price to performance ratio, in fact intel was sent back to the drawing board on several occasions because of amd,s innovative designs and ideas. Now it seems that the student is the master, intel has that bitching cool core 2 and core 2 quad, we have socket am2, which is already obsolete because of the upcoming am2+ and am2++. I think amdcan recover from this, i still prefer amd processsors because of the range of compatible chipsets, but a nforce poered quad is seeming pretty tempting. Amd dropped the ball, even diehard amd fans will admit that, if i have to spend 600-900 bucks on a processor, buy a 800 dollar psu to power it, then cool it with 10 loud ass fans, then i'll pass on it. They should have waited and used lower wattage cpu's. Heres hoping for the native quad sooner than later.

More about : amd quadfx

December 1, 2006 1:37:07 AM

sorry about all the misspellings
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2006 6:30:08 PM

Firefox 2.0 is the shiznit, spell check =)

About QuadFx I agree, the CPU are incredible value, I mean 2 FX3.0 for 1000$ that's impressive.

I don't think the lower watt CPU would've help that much. The chipset seem to consume A LOT.

Since most AMD quad will be thru system integrator, I would have water cooled it..
Related resources
December 2, 2006 8:51:33 PM

I think of a wack of power a cooling problem let alone the transformers, coils, will be migrating all over the place
December 2, 2006 9:09:19 PM

8 core and 8800GTX SLI 8O . Now that I would like to see.
December 2, 2006 9:44:22 PM

yeah, whats up with companies having bleak futures all of the sudden? i mean, thats the way capitalism goes, but since when are big players like AMD and Sony being threatened? will AMD survive the current slump, and the 4x4's potentially missed market? will sony survive like -$200 on every ps3 and the potentially missed market adoption of blu-ray?

:'( 

i cry.
December 3, 2006 2:22:08 AM

Ill this cooling since this is the section in which were at.
Itll be a bitch to cool! It would be unsafe as hell to attach two mammoth cooler to one mobo and if you go with water cooling yould either have to have two loops or a rad in between the CPUs so both of them can be cooled equally.
It is simply a desperate attempt to quad-core and AMD should have never invested money on it...
December 5, 2006 9:08:24 AM

Quote:
Ill this cooling since this is the section in which were at.
Itll be a bitch to cool! It would be unsafe as hell to attach two mammoth cooler.

Not to mention that from the looks of the spacing of those sockets, most of the capable air coolers would never fit!!! So it's liquid or nothing.

I've been an AMD fan for so long and now it seems I have to hang my head in shame.
December 5, 2006 3:28:02 PM

Don't drop your head in shame. They put out the best technology they could right now, people will still buy it (maybe only Baron Matrix) but at least they will sell 1 system and get $1000 back on their millions of $ put into R & D :p  The time will come when the competition is tight again.

About the native quad cores "blowing Intel out of the water," I am not so sure. Sure, in benches you see slightly scalar improvement of quad over dual cores, but real performance (such as gaming) isn't seeing that much of an improvement (ex: X6800 vs. QX6700)
December 6, 2006 7:27:23 AM

Quote:
Don't drop your head in shame. They put out the best technology they could right now, people will still buy it (maybe only Baron Matrix) but at least they will sell 1 system and get $1000 back on their millions of $ put into R & D :p 

A billion years ago when I was a marketing consultant, I had a client who against my better advice placed an $80,000 full page ad in the Wall Street Journal advertising his financial seminars. He sold two tickets at $195 each.

Maybe this guy is now working for AMD? :twisted:
December 6, 2006 10:23:59 AM

Just a thought, how in the hell are you going to effectively cool anything in that behemoth with that little space between the cards or the processors. You have to depend on fans or water to cool that if you plan to OC. Not to mention, with the quad SLI that the system is touted for you'll probably end up melting the video cards if you decide to tweak the speed on say a 8800.
December 6, 2006 10:31:55 AM

No prob. Just dip the whole damn thing in liquid nitrogen. :lol: 

I don't think that they could have come up with a worse motherboard design if they held a contest in grade school. Would a GPU waterblock and hoses even fit in there??? And for the CPUs the only way you're gonna get sufficient aircooling is if somebody comes out with a cooling tower that's 1 inch by 1 inch by 18 inches! They can call it the John Holmes model! :twisted:
December 6, 2006 10:36:41 AM

They could always come up with their own version of BTX to do better with airflow... no wait, Intel tried that and got lampooned... next idea then.
December 6, 2006 1:05:47 PM

What AMD needs is the new CTX standard. 12 inches between slots and a three foot diameter industrial fan. :twisted:
December 6, 2006 1:37:43 PM

God we're evil.
December 6, 2006 2:29:21 PM

Quote:
God we're evil.

Speak for yerself. I have a direct ticket to heaven. After a minor stopover in Purgatory. There's that deal with that chick that I have to work out... and that other chick... and her mother... and her three sisters... and her... :twisted:
December 6, 2006 2:41:21 PM

Meh. I'm an agnostic pagan. I'm disbelieving of many Gods.
December 6, 2006 2:45:50 PM

Agnostic Paganism is the way to go, dude. If there's any truth in what I was taught in Sunday School, once I leave this earthly plane I'm up for an extended stint with PentiumDs OC'd to 20GHz on Intel Stock HSFs stuck up my rectum...
December 6, 2006 2:47:59 PM

I'll leave you to that. I'm going back to the Other now.
December 7, 2006 3:03:28 AM

Quote:
PentiumDs OC'd to 20GHz

*wonders how that would stack up to a Conroe at 5.5Ghz*
Up for it Ninja!?
December 7, 2006 4:10:44 AM

Quote:
Meh. I'm an agnostic pagan. I'm disbelieving of many Gods.

Can't say I blame ya. Thats the direction I lean as well. Just finished reading The Da Vinci Code. Interesting book.
!