New it wouldn't be easy. Wierd stuff...

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Ok, finally get all my stuff today. Got everything installed, crossed my fingers, and bam, didn't work. Fans would bumb, then stop, then start spinning. Then it would power off and come back up. Figured out my front usb wires were not installed correctly. Great, I'm thinking problem solved! Nope.

Now it all spins up, I can hear the HDD making noise, but alas, just like my old pc, no post, and no display. So I start taking out the unnecessary parts, one stick of ram (tried them both), etc. No change. Swap the stick of ram from one slot (there's 4) to a different color. Power on. Now I'm getting short continuous beeps! Yay! At least it's an error code! Try pulling the memory comepletely with the same result. Disconnect the 12V power plug, and it stops. User's manual says this beep sequence is a power error.

Odd that it didn't start doing that till I moved the memory. Another thing, when it first powers up, everything spins up then stops for half a second, then continues.

965P-S3
250GB Seagate
500W PSU
2X512 G.Skill
X1950Pro

Help?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
This is nuts. I put a stick of ram back in. Now I'm getting continuous long beeps which a dram error. Put the other one back in with same result. Not making any sense to me at all.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Doh! Looked up at the screen and it was telling me I hadn't plugged in the power tothe vid card. Really was doing that other stuff earlier tho! Now I have display and am in the bios.

Sorry I'm a retard!!

It's still doing the power up for half a second thing, stopping, and then going again. Any ideas?

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I've had problems with boards doing that before usually its because I cheaped out with the MOBO to case standoff's and screws.

It doesn't earth quite right or maybe shorts a little.

Other then that someone smarter then me will have to help you out.

good luck

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
All of the standoffs and screws are in. However, there's one spot for another screw/standoff in the mobo, but no hole in the case to place the standoff. Could that be it?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
That could very well be the problem.These days,MB like to be grounded,not like in the old days when a grounded MB would crap out on you.I would find a case that has the proper mounting holes so you can install all the screws required.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

Could it be a case of 'not enough power to the RAM modules' I read somewhere that some motherboards default to 1.8v for the RAM but DDR2 wants 2.0v or more. I could just be making this up of course as I'm still a bit drunk from last night.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Could be possible. It's at the default of 1.8. The G. Skill ram is listed at 1.8 to 2.0. Strange thing is, it doesn't do it on a reboot. Also, if it's been running for a while, and I shut down, it doesn't do it when I power back up.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Could be possible. It's at the default of 1.8. The G. Skill ram is listed at 1.8 to 2.0. Strange thing is, it doesn't do it on a reboot. Also, if it's been running for a while, and I shut down, it doesn't do it when I power back up.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I can try the one from my old rig. Only a 400W Antec that's about 4 years old though. Will still give it a shot when I have time.

Other than the issue listed above, it's running like a champ. Haven't installed my games or OCd yet, but so far, so good.

One minor issue with the hard drive size and win2k, but have a thread on that under the Hard Disk section. :)

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I can try the one from my old rig. Only a 400W Antec that's about 4 years old though. Will still give it a shot when I have time.

Other than the issue listed above, it's running like a champ. Haven't installed my games or OCd yet, but so far, so good.

One minor issue with the hard drive size and win2k, but have a thread on that under the Hard Disk section. :)