glowinggreenlemming

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I am planning on building a new system after Christmas and would like some advice on a power supply. I ran a psu calculator and it came up with 570 watts necessary to run the system I am trying to build. I used the 8800 gtx as the graphics card cause the 8800 gts was not an option. I plan on starting the system at stock for a couple of months and then overclocking it. I have already bought an Antec P180 case for my new system and was curious how the case works with power supplies that have a fan on the bottom of the supply? I looked at three power supplies the seasonic m12 700 watt, 700 watt ocz gamexstream, and the thermaltake tough power 700 watt modular psu. From the reviews I read I liked the thermaltake the best and am leaning towards buying it.
If any one has any advice or experience with this power supply it would be really helpful as this is my first build. Below is what I am planning on putting in the system as of right now depending on prices after Christmas.

thanks for your time

This is the system I am currently thinking about putting together
Motherboard: GA 965P DS3
Ram: 2 x 1 GB sticks
processor: E 6600
cpu cooler: Tuniq Tower 120
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
1 DVD Drive and 1 CD/DVD rw Drive
Graphics card: probably Nvidia 8800 GTS

G

All good PSU, you would be well suited with any of them.

One thing to look at is the length of the cable, because of the bottom PSU, you need a rather long 4/8 Pin cable( the 2nd one that plugs on the mobo).

I highly trust these reviews!
Seasonic M12 700W
ThermalTake ToughPower 750W
GameXtream 700W ( about the ripples, it as not been replicated in all review, something to keep in mind!)

I have experience with the Seasonic S12, M12 is modular, really good PSU and the cables should be long enough for a P180 (depends of the motherboard, but Was succesfull in the past). Downside, it's pricey!

For price/performance I think the ToughPower is hard to beat, I am still getting a Seasonic for my next build.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I conly say i've heard wierd things from some customers about OCZ's stuff, but at the same time I know a couple people who own em with no problem.

However, I've found that
Antec
Fortron (FSP)
PC Power & Cooling are all very solid brands.

In fact, I like that PC P&C 750 myself, if you can afford it, it's a solid one.

Not all psus are the same, some 650s are better than some 750s it comes down to peak power/efficiency, so do yer research.

G

Agree the Pc P&C are among the very best, so is tagan.

I am a cable manager freak, I need modular though! The M12 is a pretty much perfect fit.

I would recommand to the OP the PC P&C or the Seasonic because both are based on very large Rail(or 2 Large Rail) which seams to be the best for killer graphic card.

But again, best price/perf probably the TT ToughPower

snyper133

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I conly say i've heard wierd things from some

Not all psus are the same, some 650s are better than some 750s it comes down to peak power/efficiency, so do yer research.

Your right but it also depends on how hot they get Pc Power and Cooling rate their power supplies at 50 degrees C so in fact they give you true wattage when your system is running.

TRENDING THREADS