wnet files in shelltray folder in Windows folder

I have found a "shelltray" folder in my Windows folder on XP. The shelltray
folder contains four files: wnet.$$A, wnet.$$B, wnet.$$C, and wnet.$$D These
files add up to about 65 GB! What are these files? I'd like to delete them,
since they are taking up almost my entire hard drive, but don't know what
they are and how they got there.
--
Thanks for any help
1 answer Last reply

    "Peter M" <PeterM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have found a "shelltray" folder in my Windows folder on XP. The
    > shelltray folder contains four files: wnet.$$A, wnet.$$B, wnet.$$C,
    > and wnet.$$D These files add up to about 65 GB! What are these
    > files? I'd like to delete them, since they are taking up almost my
    > entire hard drive, but don't know what they are and how they got
    > there.

    They are not installed by Windows. I would first rename the shelltray
    folder and see what happens.

    Eliminate any scumware.
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
    download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    (if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
    your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
    enable you to regain your connection.

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip or
    http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Microsoft Windows XP