Windows XP - Wireless USB Keyboard - BIOS

For some reason I am unable to boot to the BIOS or interact with my PC until
the GUI kicks in. I cannot choose between profiles, I cannot "Press any key
to boot from CD", etc. Dell says a usb keyboard cannot be used in this way.
I'm near positive that I've been able to do this in the past... I was ready
to give up on this, but I have this nagging feeling. So if anyone knows
difinitively - can a usb wireless keyboard be used to edit the BIOS or is a
PS/2 keyboard required?

Thanks.
Brad Voltero

The usb driver is loading too late for the keyboard to be active in time to
intercept the boot process. You probably need to use the standard keyboard
when you want to interrupt the boot process and enter setup.

"bvoltero" <bvoltero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason I am unable to boot to the BIOS or interact with my PC
> until
> the GUI kicks in. I cannot choose between profiles, I cannot "Press any
> key
> to boot from CD", etc. Dell says a usb keyboard cannot be used in this
> way.
> I'm near positive that I've been able to do this in the past... I was
> ready
> to give up on this, but I have this nagging feeling. So if anyone knows
> difinitively - can a usb wireless keyboard be used to edit the BIOS or is
> PS/2 keyboard required?
>
> Thanks.
> Brad Voltero

You need a PS/2 keyboard for a simple BIOS setting. There should be a
setting something like "Legacy" keyboard or USB or such, that should be
enabled.... (I guess, and don't remeber the exact words, that wary dependeng
on BIOS)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group