Retailer copy of XP?

SL

Hello all,

I did some work for a friend and his brother. The brother offered me a copy
of XP Pro from his "Microsoft license". It came in his usual shipment of
everything microsoft comes out with. He has oodles of MS stuff.

Anyways, it came in a typical generic sleeve for cd's. All it simply had
was his copy of the key on the front. I have not had much reason to use it
other than my personal reasons. I have yet to register it on any other pc.
Not that I havent used it on other pc's (my brother). But I never register
it (other than mine) and let it run its 30 day course. I then re-load it.
Not a "big" hassle, but it helps me try new hardware etc...

Now, Im thinking I dont want to do the 30 day thing Ive been doing. What
are the risks of registering a second pc on what I believe is a
licensing/retailer copy? Am I even right about the copy I have? I do not
want to jeopardize his copy or even my own in the process. My friend has
now moved, and I cannot contact him yet on this.

I figure my cheapest alternative is to purchase an upgrade of XP home and
load it over a copy of mine. Is this a sound way of going at it?

How do I even determine "exactly" what type of copy I do in fact have.

Thanks all,
SL

"SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I did some work for a friend and his brother. The brother offered me a
> copy of XP Pro from his "Microsoft license". It came in his usual
> shipment of everything microsoft comes out with. He has oodles of MS
> stuff.
>
> Anyways, it came in a typical generic sleeve for cd's. All it simply had
> was his copy of the key on the front. I have not had much reason to use
> it other than my personal reasons. I have yet to register it on any other
> pc. Not that I havent used it on other pc's (my brother). But I never
> register it (other than mine) and let it run its 30 day course. I then
> re-load it. Not a "big" hassle, but it helps me try new hardware etc...
>
> Now, Im thinking I dont want to do the 30 day thing Ive been doing. What
> are the risks of registering a second pc on what I believe is a
> licensing/retailer copy? Am I even right about the copy I have? I do not
> want to jeopardize his copy or even my own in the process. My friend has
> now moved, and I cannot contact him yet on this.
>
> I figure my cheapest alternative is to purchase an upgrade of XP home and
> load it over a copy of mine. Is this a sound way of going at it?
>
> How do I even determine "exactly" what type of copy I do in fact have.
>
> Thanks all,
> SL

Legally you should purchase a full version of XP. You can not legally
install an Upgrade version of XP overtop of an illegal version. The reason
being that an Upgrade version is intended to replace an earlier version of
Windows. In fact if you use an Upgrade version, even to do a clean install,
whatever OS that was part of the upgrading process is now part of the
installation and can't legally be sold or installed on any other system.
This is a reason why Upgrade versions are less expensive than full versions.
However a Retail Full version can perform an upgrade. And because it doesn't
require an earlier version during it's setup whatever was on the system is
now free and clear. You can legitimize your illegal install by installing a
Retail version right overtop.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I did some work for a friend and his brother. The brother offered me a
> copy of XP Pro from his "Microsoft license". It came in his usual
> shipment of everything microsoft comes out with. He has oodles of MS
> stuff.
>
> Anyways, it came in a typical generic sleeve for cd's. All it simply had
> was his copy of the key on the front. I have not had much reason to use
> it other than my personal reasons. I have yet to register it on any other
> pc. Not that I havent used it on other pc's (my brother). But I never
> register it (other than mine) and let it run its 30 day course. I then
> re-load it. Not a "big" hassle, but it helps me try new hardware etc...
>
> Now, Im thinking I dont want to do the 30 day thing Ive been doing. What
> are the risks of registering a second pc on what I believe is a
> licensing/retailer copy? Am I even right about the copy I have? I do not
> want to jeopardize his copy or even my own in the process. My friend has
> now moved, and I cannot contact him yet on this.
>
> I figure my cheapest alternative is to purchase an upgrade of XP home and
> load it over a copy of mine. Is this a sound way of going at it?
>
> How do I even determine "exactly" what type of copy I do in fact have.
>
> Thanks all,
> SL

It's probably an Action Pack license or maybe MSDN, neither of which are
supposed to be transferable to other people. And other restrictions apply as
well.

"SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I did some work for a friend and his brother. The brother offered me
> a copy of XP Pro from his "Microsoft license". It came in his usual
> shipment of everything microsoft comes out with. He has oodles of MS
> stuff.
> Anyways, it came in a typical generic sleeve for cd's. All it simply
> had was his copy of the key on the front. I have not had much reason
> to use it other than my personal reasons. I have yet to register it
> on any other pc. Not that I havent used it on other pc's (my
> brother). But I never register it (other than mine) and let it run
> its 30 day course. I then re-load it. Not a "big" hassle, but it
> helps me try new hardware etc...
> Now, Im thinking I dont want to do the 30 day thing Ive been doing. What
> are the risks of registering a second pc on what I believe is a
> licensing/retailer copy? Am I even right about the copy I have? I
> do not want to jeopardize his copy or even my own in the process. My
> friend has now moved, and I cannot contact him yet on this.
>
> I figure my cheapest alternative is to purchase an upgrade of XP home
> and load it over a copy of mine. Is this a sound way of going at it?
>
> How do I even determine "exactly" what type of copy I do in fact have.
>
> Thanks all,
> SL

Your friend's brother is violating his agreement with Microsoft by giving
that to you. You are violating the EULA (which you agree to during install)
by installing it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com