Webcam/Port Question

What advantages/disadvantages are there when using
a webcam made for a usb 2.0 port as opposed to a
webcam made for a 1.1 port?
2 answers Last reply
More about webcam port question

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:52:44 GMT, "Radio Man" <puns@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >What advantages/disadvantages are there when using
    > a webcam made for a usb 2.0 port as opposed to a
    >webcam made for a 1.1 port?

    Depend entirely on what features the mfg designed into the web cam.

    It is more likely than not that the only thing that changed is the
    printing on the box, as 2.0 is backward compatible. Kind of a free
    ride for the mfg to say that the camera is 2.0 compatible.

    Pj

    "Radio Man" <puns@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > What advantages/disadvantages are there when using
    > a webcam made for a usb 2.0 port as opposed to a
    > webcam made for a 1.1 port?

    IMHO, *if* the webcam is designed to take full advantage of the increased
    USB 2.0 bandwidth, and the host PC can handle USB2.0, it should result in
    much better picture quality. In my experience, webcams that try to squeeze
    640 x 480 x 15fps into USB 1.1 bandwidth seem to throw away picture quality
    at the compression stage. This is more obvious when you look at single
    frames rather than moving video.

    For example, in a side-by-side comparison of a Philips Toucam (USB1.1) and
    an Axis 205 (100Mbit ethernet), the 205 usually wins, even though its CMOS
    sensor is probably inferior to the Toucam's CCD sensor. See
    http://www.setters.demon.co.uk/lundycam/index.html, Toucam is on the left,
    205 on the right.

    Simon

Webcams USB Peripherals