Montana_Biggs

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Alright, this is the current setup I have between two houses. I have one broadband internet connection in the main house, with a linksys wire router plugged into it. Into the linksys's LANs, I have that house's computer, along with a standard(non-crossover) cable that is running from the WAN port on my wireless netgear router in the second house. This router is wireless, and has both the second house's computer, and an xbox wirelessly linked to it. The internet works fine on all machines, though they can't establish a common network, so computers from one house can't access the computers in the other. I'm wondering what configuration I would need to get these two routers to connect with each other so I can share files and such between houses. The netgear has auto mxd, and I've tried connencting LAN to LAN with RIP enabled, but all I manage to do is lose the internet connection in the second house. Can some help me please?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You have 2 choices.

1 use a static IP setup.
2 connect the first router to the LAN port instead of the wan. That way it should work as a hub. But I don't know if the wireless will work.

Someone will proably correct me if I'm wrong.

Montana_Biggs

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Well, I've tried connecting the wireless router through LAN, so both routers have LAN to LAN between them, but even with RIP enabled, they don't sence each other on the network. I'm using a standard cable, but my Netgear wireless router has auto mdx, so I shouldn't need to make it a crossover. At least I don't think.

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
One router has to function as the gateway to the outside and rest of the network. I would set your wireless router to act solely as a switch/wireless accesspoint. So turn off NAT and DHCP on the second router. Also ensure that both PC's are on the same subnet and in the same workgroup on windows.

File and Print sharing should be enabled too.

I ahve a setup similar to this. My Cisco router is my gateway and that plugs to my linksys router which I have set as an access point where both my computers plug into it.