Developing PocketPC Applications

March 5, 2005 10:39:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi,

I'm a second year Computer Science student at Manchester University,
in the UK, and I have to decide what to do for my 3rd year project
quite soon. I would really like to develop some sort of application
for a mobile device such as a Pocket PC. The program would be written
in C#. I'm desperate to get involved in the .NET platform and
handheld devices for my job when I'm older, which is why I want to do
my final year project on these things.

I'm considering creating some sort of an email program - like a
scaled-down version of Outlook Express, but for a handheld device. I
could possibly add in capabilities for handling attachments and
multiple email accounts if this were possible. Does anyone know how
feasable this would be??

However, I'm not quite sure how difficult all this would be, or if
it's possible, and I don't really know where to get information from
about developing C# applications for mobile devices.

If anyone can give me any help whatsoever (useful websites, which
handheld devices would be best to work with, possible ideas for
applications other than an email program... anything!) then it would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-alex.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 11:54:07 AM

"televisionfoot" <televisionfoot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm a second year Computer Science student at Manchester University,
> in the UK, and I have to decide what to do for my 3rd year project
> quite soon. I would really like to develop some sort of application
> for a mobile device such as a Pocket PC. The program would be written
> in C#. I'm desperate to get involved in the .NET platform and
> handheld devices for my job when I'm older, which is why I want to do
> my final year project on these things.
>
> I'm considering creating some sort of an email program - like a
> scaled-down version of Outlook Express, but for a handheld device. I
> could possibly add in capabilities for handling attachments and
> multiple email accounts if this were possible. Does anyone know how
> feasable this would be??

Lots of these already exist. Here's an example
of one:

http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html

Additionally, all recent PPC's come with Pocket Outlook,
which, while badly programmed, does appear to work (I don't
use it at all, as it has no idea how to work with multiple accounts
when all your mail comes throuhg a proxy server, nPOP handles
this beautifully).

You would be better off developing something else, if you
want to stand out.

> However, I'm not quite sure how difficult all this would be, or if
> it's possible, and I don't really know where to get information from
> about developing C# applications for mobile devices.
>
> If anyone can give me any help whatsoever (useful websites, which
> handheld devices would be best to work with, possible ideas for
> applications other than an email program... anything!) then it would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -alex.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:05:48 PM

<dmoth74@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Just an idea:
> >Target a WM2003 powered PocketPC (simply cause it is the latest
released
> >platform).
> >Do something with web services (WS are still considered cool).
>
> Agree. More specifically, use the MapPoint web service to acquire
> realtime maps for a user based on their chosen query parameters.

Okay, I think I'm abandoning the idea of an email program! In a post
by 'V Green' it was confirmed to me that these sorts of programs
already exist in abundance, and I'd already been a bit worried about
the fact that my idea for an email program wouldn't be particularly
inventive, or creative (which is where a lot of marks will be).

I'm liking the sound of this "Route/Map Finder" program, and the use of
the MapPoint web service also sounds good. I've had a brief look at
MapPoint and now I have a slight worry about the complexity of the
program. Would using this MapPoint web service do all the work for me,
leaving me with very little coding?

I haven't looked in massive depth at MapPoint, or writing apps for
PocketPCs (research will come after my project has been proposed and
accepted) but I'm left thinking this: a user will enter, into his
PocketPC, a location, postcode, street name, etc, and the PocketPC will
simply access MapPoint (I'm assuming the PocketPC has internet access)
and use these parameters to return the results onto the PocketPC
screen. At first glance this doesn't seem like I'll actually be doing
a lot of coding, and that MapPoint will be doing all of the work!

Does anyone see what I mean? It will probably turn out, once I look
into it, that it will be so difficult I won't be able to get the thing
working ;o) but I'd just like to hear some of your thoughts...

> AFAIK this sort of service isn't currently on PPCs so you might
> make some money selling it to topup your student loan too,

I must admit I like the sound of this, too!!!

Cheers for everyone's input so far. Greatly appreciated.

-alex.
March 5, 2005 6:52:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Just an idea:
Target a WM2003 powered PocketPC (simply cause it is the latest released
platform).
Do something with web services (WS are still considered cool).
Design your app so it also runs against the desktop framework thus proving
the cross-platform capabilities (academics love that kind of thing).

For cross-platform targeting code:
http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2004/09/share-code-if-fu...

Indispensable resource for CF development (with a bunch of UK members):
http://www.opennetcf.org/

Cheers
Daniel
--
http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/

"televisionfoot" <televisionfoot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm a second year Computer Science student at Manchester University,
> in the UK, and I have to decide what to do for my 3rd year project
> quite soon. I would really like to develop some sort of application
> for a mobile device such as a Pocket PC. The program would be written
> in C#. I'm desperate to get involved in the .NET platform and
> handheld devices for my job when I'm older, which is why I want to do
> my final year project on these things.
>
> I'm considering creating some sort of an email program - like a
> scaled-down version of Outlook Express, but for a handheld device. I
> could possibly add in capabilities for handling attachments and
> multiple email accounts if this were possible. Does anyone know how
> feasable this would be??
>
> However, I'm not quite sure how difficult all this would be, or if
> it's possible, and I don't really know where to get information from
> about developing C# applications for mobile devices.
>
> If anyone can give me any help whatsoever (useful websites, which
> handheld devices would be best to work with, possible ideas for
> applications other than an email program... anything!) then it would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -alex.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 7:28:15 PM

wrote:

>Just an idea:
>Target a WM2003 powered PocketPC (simply cause it is the latest released
>platform).
>Do something with web services (WS are still considered cool).

Agree. More specifically, use the MapPoint web service to acquire
realtime maps for a user based on their chosen query parameters. AFAIK
this sort of service isn't currently on PPCs so you might make some
money selling it to topup your student loan too,

Cheers - Neil

>Design your app so it also runs against the desktop framework thus proving
>the cross-platform capabilities (academics love that kind of thing).
>
>For cross-platform targeting code:
>http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2004/09/share-code-if-fu...
>
>Indispensable resource for CF development (with a bunch of UK members):
>http://www.opennetcf.org/
>
>Cheers
>Daniel
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 1:25:48 AM

On 5 Mar 2005 10:05:48 -0800, televisionfoot@hotmail.com wrote:

>> >Do something with web services (WS are still considered cool).
>>
>> Agree. More specifically, use the MapPoint web service to acquire
>> realtime maps for a user based on their chosen query parameters.
>
>Okay, I think I'm abandoning the idea of an email program! In a post
>by 'V Green' it was confirmed to me that these sorts of programs
>already exist in abundance, and I'd already been a bit worried about
>the fact that my idea for an email program wouldn't be particularly
>inventive, or creative (which is where a lot of marks will be).
>
>I'm liking the sound of this "Route/Map Finder" program, and the use of
>the MapPoint web service also sounds good. I've had a brief look at
>MapPoint and now I have a slight worry about the complexity of the
>program. Would using this MapPoint web service do all the work for me,
>leaving me with very little coding?

OK so now think a bit more broadly : Combine it with a user data
capture program, introducing the element of database programming. Now
you're on the path to a GIS (geographic information system) where you
can capture user data such as sales for a region.

Aggregate the regional data and plot it on a map, asking the web
service for a regional map to show a 'details' view.

Lots of possibilities, the web service is meant to allow you to build
on it, so while it might do the heavy lifting for the mapping portion
you've now got the role of a systems integrator, building your own
mappoint xml/web service query system, a database and some useful
application to boot ;-))

Cheers - Neil

>I haven't looked in massive depth at MapPoint, or writing apps for
>PocketPCs (research will come after my project has been proposed and
>accepted) but I'm left thinking this: a user will enter, into his
>PocketPC, a location, postcode, street name, etc, and the PocketPC will
>simply access MapPoint (I'm assuming the PocketPC has internet access)
>and use these parameters to return the results onto the PocketPC
>screen. At first glance this doesn't seem like I'll actually be doing
>a lot of coding, and that MapPoint will be doing all of the work!
>
>Does anyone see what I mean? It will probably turn out, once I look
>into it, that it will be so difficult I won't be able to get the thing
>working ;o) but I'd just like to hear some of your thoughts...
>
>> AFAIK this sort of service isn't currently on PPCs so you might
>> make some money selling it to topup your student loan too,
>
>I must admit I like the sound of this, too!!!
>
>Cheers for everyone's input so far. Greatly appreciated.
>
>-alex.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:18:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

<snip original post>

In case anyone is interested I've decided to make an application that
keeps track of various statistics for a sport. The application would
run on a PocketPC and enable the user to view the league, scorers, team
form, etc. It would connect to a server that I would also set up to
get fixtures, results, etc.

This would enable me to use a database which would store the data on
the server that the PPC accesses. It would also need server-side
scripting of some sort such as PHP or ASP. The actual application that
would run on the PocketPC will be written in C#. Also I have the
option of making a Windows application that could sync with the PPC if
the users don't want to get the latest data through their PPC.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to me - everyones input was VERY
much appreciated!!!

-alex.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:12:19 PM

Already done in a very convenient way - www.xstandard.com

Cheers - Neil

On 6 Mar 2005 16:18:24 -0800, "televisionfoot"
<televisionfoot@hotmail.com> wrote:

><snip original post>
>
>In case anyone is interested I've decided to make an application that
>keeps track of various statistics for a sport. The application would
>run on a PocketPC and enable the user to view the league, scorers, team
>form, etc. It would connect to a server that I would also set up to
>get fixtures, results, etc.
>
>This would enable me to use a database which would store the data on
>the server that the PPC accesses. It would also need server-side
>scripting of some sort such as PHP or ASP. The actual application that
>would run on the PocketPC will be written in C#. Also I have the
>option of making a Windows application that could sync with the PPC if
>the users don't want to get the latest data through their PPC.
>
>Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to me - everyones input was VERY
>much appreciated!!!
>

>-alex.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 5:02:25 PM

I've not built any applications for my Pocket PC yet, but MS does offer a
pretty large SDK for the Compact .NET framework. Download it and enjoy!
It's about 80-90 Megabytes download if I remember right. If you can write
your application in regular C# .NET, you should be able to easily migrate
it to the Compact .NET Framework.

Kenton W.