• Routers
  • DSL
  • AOL
  • Linksys
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
April 12, 2006 9:04:02 PM

I am trying to hook up a AOL DSL system to a brand new Linksys WRT54G router. I can connect to the internet with the AOL DSL when I sign on. When I follow the directions on the Linksys connect CD it goes all the way through to the end when the router tries to connect to the inernet. I tried the cd about 6 times following the directions exactly, I also tried the linksys easyconnect program.

Every time it goes through all steps except for last where the router connects to internet. The router settings do reflect proper login information including my screename@aol.com and password login.

Is there any settings somewhere in the router that could cause a conflict?

More about : aol dsl wont sync linksys router directions

April 12, 2006 11:31:45 PM

Try cloning your MAC address from the PC to the router. This is required on a lot of system.
April 12, 2006 11:57:33 PM

Quote:
Try cloning your MAC address from the PC to the router. This is required on a lot of system.

How do I view the PC's MAC address? I know how to input it into the router when I have the number.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 13, 2006 12:06:15 AM

Rt click on your nic card, select status, Support tab, Details
April 13, 2006 4:04:25 PM

at a dos command prompt: ipconfig /all

the mac address is the physical address.

Quote:

How do I view the PC's MAC address? I know how to input it into the router when I have the number.
April 15, 2006 1:24:40 AM

I took a look at the Router and it already had the correct MAC address enabled on the Router.

Also there is something else that is interesting, when I look at the network connections window it does show a Internet Gateway Icon. But the Internet Gateway says Disabled and it will not enable.

I just tried following the directions again about 7 times, including turning off the modem for a minute first and then turning on router whn all DSL lights are on.
April 15, 2006 1:41:11 AM

How is AOL DSL trying to connect PPPoE ..... ? Auth req.

Something is not right in your login script.

What is the status screen showing?
April 15, 2006 1:44:08 AM

Quote:
How is AOL DSL trying to connect PPPoE ..... ? Auth req.

Something is not right in your login script.

For the Login Script you mean the Main Page of the Router where I type in my screename@aol.com and AOL password? Would it have to be case sensitive?

I dont know how it could be wrong if it is since I type it very carefully. Can I use any of my AOL account names or does it have to be a main?

None of the guides I read said anythign about entering a Domain or Host name.
April 15, 2006 2:08:18 AM

Your router login is different than your ISP login.
You must select your login type, Cable, DHCP, DSL

Quote:
Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster
DSL (PPPoE)
User Name - Enter the User Name provided by your ISP.
Password - Enter the Password provided by your ISP.
Confirm - To confirm the Password, enter it again in this field.
Keep Alive - If you want the Router to periodically check your Internet connection, select Keep Alive. Then
specify how often you want the Router to check the Internet connection. If the connection is down, the Router
will automatically re-establish your connection.
Connect on Demand - If you want the Router to end the Internet connection after it has been inactive for a
period of time, select Connect on Demand and designate the number of minutes you want that period of
inactivity to last.
Click the Next button to continue or the Back button to return to the previous screen.
Figure 5-11: Setup Wizard’s Configure DSL (PPPoE)
Settings Screen
April 15, 2006 3:42:17 AM

I have been choosing PPPoE all this time but I havent changed the default router password login which is just admin.

My ISP login is entered correctly into the router since I am using the same info I use to sign onto my AOL service to connect to internet without router.

My AOL account has 6 screen names though, does it matter which one I use?
April 15, 2006 1:05:01 PM

Generally you use the master account name. The one the bill is tied to. AOL Requires Authenicatin. If you are not doing this it will fail.
April 15, 2006 8:30:48 PM

I found this quote on a FAQ from 2004:

Quote:
*Note: AOL currently allows special characters and has extended the character length limit for passwords when using the AOL 9.0 Optimized. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO PPPoE AUHTENTICATION! Please make sure that your username and password are purely made up of letters and numbers, all in lowercase. Passwords must NOT exceed 8 characters in length. Spaces are NOT acceptable!* Failure to follow will result in an error in PPPoE Authenction.

Do you think this quote is still valid and applies to my setup? The password I am trying to use is longer then the length in the faq.
April 15, 2006 8:55:14 PM

That typcal AOL. Are you using 9 or have they released 10 yet?

Make the changes and see if it works.

All for security. I guess none of my passwords would work then.

Never have like AOL, The AOL virus has kept me busy for years. Dump them and go to SBC Yahoo, It's cheaper and better. All of my clients have moved on, finally got tired of them screwing their machines up with all of the free stuff. Nevers check to see what you are using. Try to turn off all free software they offer. Or you may be here seeking help about ever week.
!