Network unplugged on a work server but computer used at home

chosenbkr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Hello folks, my friend has a dell desktop computer that is connected to his work network in the building ( he is a super). He doesn't have administrative rights because it's on a work server. I tried numerous situations to fix his "network unplugged" connection but failed.

I don't know how to take a computer away from a work network and make it, independent with full administrative rights. He doesn't have OS software because he brought the PC from a friend.

I want to reformat the hard drive and I figure that should fix the problem, but he doesn't have OS software.

Can someone assist in this situation. He has wireless internet access in his building as well, but I can't get him to there without an active network card.

I don't know how to take the computer from an outside network and I figure, that is the reason why his network card is unplugged. I think I have to tell the person responsibe for configuring the network for his work, to fix his connection because it's still on their server, but he wants to break feel and have full administrative rights.

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
First, let me see if I have this right. Your friend bought a PC and wants to hook it up at work connected to his workplace's network. He doesn't want to be part of the network; just wants to use it for internet access.

I can tell you now, that will not happen. The network has to assign either a static or dynamic IP, both of which will require the PC to be part of the domain, or domain administrator setting it up. I don't know any administrator in their right mind that would allow having access without being part of the domain.

If this is not the case, please clear it up a bit...

chosenbkr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks for responding back sir. My friend's computer is hooked up to his work network once he got it. He doesn't need his home computer to be hooked up to his work. He wants an independent computer with all administrative rights.

The network connection is unplugged and I don't know how to correct that situation. I am moderatte toward this situation and have been researching.

I understand now given he is under a network, that the person responsible for the maintance of the server must fix his network unplugged problem.
That is correct right?

I'm trying to free his PC from the network, but I don't know how. I think reformatting his harddrive and unplugging the network cable that links his computer toward the work network would resolve the problem, I think.

hawkstar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
No, I still don't understand. But...

There should be no need to reformat and reinstall which will be difficult since you say he has no OS software.

You don't say which operating system your friend is using but assuming XP, if you right click My Computer and select Properties and then click on the Computer Name tag and then click Change you will be able to select Workgroup instead of Domain. That will remove the PC from the work domain - if the network cable is not connected to a network then it is unplugged!

chosenbkr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
No, I still don't understand. But...

There should be no need to reformat and reinstall which will be difficult since you say he has no OS software.

You don't say which operating system your friend is using but assuming XP, if you right click My Computer and select Properties and then click on the Computer Name tag and then click Change you will be able to select Workgroup instead of Domain. That will remove the PC from the work domain - if the network cable is not connected to a network then it is unplugged!
Thank you sir for that key information. If that doesn't correct the situation and give him full rights but the connection is still unplugged, I should be able to configure it since the PC is not under a domin. I would try to update the network driver if not, uninstall it and download a new one. Thanks once again, I am going to try it when I get his PC this evening for the weekend.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@hawkstar

I think what he is trying to say is that his friend got the computer from his office and he has no Admin access to the comp.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@chosenbkr

If my guess is right your best bet is to get the admin password. Ask your friend to contact the network admin at work. You will need this when installing new software and changing system settings.

Good luck :)

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
If this is the scenario: Friend got a computer, the computer used to be on a network, friend now has it at home or somewhere else and needs to be an administrator to add it to a home or some other network: then do a quick Google search on Linux boot disk for password cracking. You should be able to find many sites to download a bootable diskette (or CD) tool to reset the administrator password...

chosenbkr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The situation is this. A computer is on a work domain network. He has his own password and user ID. I believe instead of his PC being on a workstation it's on a domain. If it's under his work's domain, he won't have full administrative rights.

A user above stated to go to "click on the Computer Name tag and then click Change you will be able to select Workgroup instead of Domain. That will remove the PC from the work domain - if the network cable is not connected to a network then it is unplugged!"

I understand clicking to the workgroup instead of domain for full administrative rights.

But will that also, fix his network connection being unplugged?
He has a network card that is working and installed. I'm hoping changing the administrative rights will fix the problem. If not, atleast let me install another network driver.

BTW, where do you look to see what type of motherboard a computer has?

If, I'm incorrect please let me know. Thanks once again for responding.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
then do a quick Google search on Linux boot disk for password cracking. You should be able to find many sites to download a bootable diskette (or CD) tool to reset the administrator password...

That is an option. However I think it is easier for his friend to ask the Admin at work.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
A user above stated to go to "click on the Computer Name tag and then click Change you will be able to select Workgroup instead of Domain.

Correct.

That will remove the PC from the work domain - if the network cable is not connected to a network then it is unplugged!"
But will that also, fix his network connection being unplugged?

U lost me there. If I understand you correctly then your problem is not the network card. It is the windows networking. If you fix it (from domain to workgroup) your problems should vanish.

p.s.
You will need the administrator password otherwise you won’t be able to install a lot of progs and make changes to your system.