XP Firewall

I see some flak about what the XP Firewall does and doesn't do.
How about a reference from our MVPs as to what it is supposed
to do, and what evidence it gives that it is actually doing
anything? I've had mine "on" for a couple of months, and it
gives no evidence that it is doing anything. Maybe that's
really good! A program that just does its thing and doesn't
brag about it.
--
William B. Lurie
17 answers Last reply

    I now believe that you are a lonely old man who's only source of a "life" is
    posting rubbish to these newsgroups.

    You are a TROLL. You offer NOTHING to the newsgroups. You don't even ask
    semi-intelligent questions. AND, when you do get answers for your questions
    you like to "barter" over the answers.

    Why don't you view the answers and use the information to make an "informed"
    choice? You ARE capable of that- no? I guess not!

    "William B. Lurie" wrote:

    > I see some flak about what the XP Firewall does and doesn't do.
    > How about a reference from our MVPs as to what it is supposed
    > to do, and what evidence it gives that it is actually doing
    > anything? I've had mine "on" for a couple of months, and it
    > gives no evidence that it is doing anything. Maybe that's
    > really good! A program that just does its thing and doesn't
    > brag about it.
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    I "assume" that you read other people's posts, as well as the answers to
    your own. You MUST have come across numerous threads telling people that the
    SP2 firewall is only half a solution. You do not believe them?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >I see some flak about what the XP Firewall does and doesn't do.
    > How about a reference from our MVPs as to what it is supposed
    > to do, and what evidence it gives that it is actually doing
    > anything? I've had mine "on" for a couple of months, and it
    > gives no evidence that it is doing anything. Maybe that's
    > really good! A program that just does its thing and doesn't
    > brag about it.
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    William

    There is nothing better than the feeling of being 'needed'.. thanks for the
    vote of confidence in all of the people that come here to help that are NOT
    MVPs..

    There seems to be little point in me telling you that the XP firewall exists
    primarily to protect the OS on its first visit to the internet, such that it
    can be updated without fear of being attacked within the first few seconds..
    that if MS attempted to place a fully fledged firewall into XP that they
    would be flooded with lawsuits.. that MS also recommend use of a third party
    software firewall..

    ... And there is no point in me telling you to do a Google search for free
    software firewalls and what they offer over and above the SP2 offering
    either, because I am not an MVP..

    Happy New Year to ya..

    Mike Hall

    "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > William
    >
    > There is nothing better than the feeling of being 'needed'.. thanks
    > for the vote of confidence in all of the people that come here to
    > help that are NOT MVPs..
    >
    > There seems to be little point in me telling you that the XP firewall
    > exists primarily to protect the OS on its first visit to the
    > internet, such that it can be updated without fear of being attacked
    > within the first few seconds.. that if MS attempted to place a fully
    > fledged firewall into XP that they would be flooded with lawsuits..
    > that MS also recommend use of a third party software firewall..
    >
    > .. And there is no point in me telling you to do a Google search for
    > free software firewalls and what they offer over and above the SP2
    > offering either, because I am not an MVP..
    >
    > Happy New Year to ya..
    >
    > Mike Hall

    Good one. :)

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi

    The XP Firewall works in the background, so you won't see anything
    happening. It doesn't however monitor outgoing access to the Internet. You
    will need to install a 3rd party program for that, such as ZoneAlarm:

    www.zonelabs.com

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Richard Urban wrote:
    > I "assume" that you read other people's posts, as well as the answers to
    > your own. You MUST have come across numerous threads telling people that the
    > SP2 firewall is only half a solution. You do not believe them?

    Yes and no, Richard. There are far too many to allow reading all.
    I only read those that have a subject I'm interested in. And searching
    gives too many also. A short question, a short answer (like just above)
    and that's all it need involve.
    Bill

    | Richard Urban wrote:
    | > I "assume" that you read other people's posts, as well as the answers to
    | > your own. You MUST have come across numerous threads telling people that
    the
    | > SP2 firewall is only half a solution. You do not believe them?
    | >
    | Yes and no, Richard. There are far too many to allow reading all.
    | I only read those that have a subject I'm interested in. And searching
    | gives too many also. A short question, a short answer (like just above)
    | and that's all it need involve.
    | Bill

    So you post your inane twaddle because you're too lazy to read a few posts?

    All good points, Mike. Rounds out the picture. BTW, no need
    for you to feel slighted; advice from the MVPs is always
    worth reading. Advice and other comments from non-MVPs can
    be a mixed bag, as you know. If genuine Microsoft links
    exist, they don't come from anybody other than the MVPs.
    Have a good year.
    Bill

    Mike Hall wrote:

    > William
    >
    > There is nothing better than the feeling of being 'needed'.. thanks for the
    > vote of confidence in all of the people that come here to help that are NOT
    > MVPs..
    >
    > There seems to be little point in me telling you that the XP firewall exists
    > primarily to protect the OS on its first visit to the internet, such that it
    > can be updated without fear of being attacked within the first few seconds..
    > that if MS attempted to place a fully fledged firewall into XP that they
    > would be flooded with lawsuits.. that MS also recommend use of a third party
    > software firewall..
    >
    > .. And there is no point in me telling you to do a Google search for free
    > software firewalls and what they offer over and above the SP2 offering
    > either, because I am not an MVP..
    >
    > Happy New Year to ya..
    >
    > Mike Hall
    >

    > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>I see some flak about what the XP Firewall does and doesn't do.
    >>How about a reference from our MVPs as to what it is supposed
    >>to do, and what evidence it gives that it is actually doing
    >>anything? I've had mine "on" for a couple of months, and it
    >>gives no evidence that it is doing anything. Maybe that's
    >>really good! A program that just does its thing and doesn't
    >>brag about it.
    >>--
    >> William B. Lurie

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Richard Urban wrote:
    >> I "assume" that you read other people's posts, as well as the
    >> answers to your own. You MUST have come across numerous threads
    >> telling people that the SP2 firewall is only half a solution. You do
    >> not believe them?
    > Yes and no, Richard. There are far too many to allow reading all.
    > I only read those that have a subject I'm interested in. And searching
    > gives too many also. A short question, a short answer (like just
    > above) and that's all it need involve.
    > Bill

    Actually, there are not to many posts in this newsgroup to allow reading all
    of them.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    | > Richard Urban wrote:
    | >> I "assume" that you read other people's posts, as well as the
    | >> answers to your own. You MUST have come across numerous threads
    | >> telling people that the SP2 firewall is only half a solution. You do
    | >> not believe them?
    | > Yes and no, Richard. There are far too many to allow reading all.
    | > I only read those that have a subject I'm interested in. And searching
    | > gives too many also. A short question, a short answer (like just
    | > above) and that's all it need involve.
    | > Bill
    |
    | Actually, there are not to many posts in this newsgroup to allow reading
    all
    | of them.
    |
    | --
    | Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    | Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    | http://www.fjsmjs.com
    | Protect your PC
    | http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    There are if you have a 30-second attention span.

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >
    >> Richard Urban wrote:
    >>
    >>> I "assume" that you read other people's posts, as well as the
    >>> answers to your own. You MUST have come across numerous threads
    >>> telling people that the SP2 firewall is only half a solution. You do
    >>> not believe them?
    >>
    >> Yes and no, Richard. There are far too many to allow reading all.
    >> I only read those that have a subject I'm interested in. And searching
    >> gives too many also. A short question, a short answer (like just
    >> above) and that's all it need involve.
    >> Bill
    >

    > Actually, there are not to many posts in this newsgroup to allow reading
    > all of them.

    Matter of opinion, Frank. And this NG is only one of many.
    What there are too many of, are people who have no
    interest in being constructive.

    Mike,

    I will be getting my first XP system soon. From your post I understand that
    I should leave XP firewall on for the fist internet visit until I get Zone
    Alarm, etc. d/led. After ZA is in place I should disable XP firewall?

    "Stan" <sorry@noname.com> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    >
    > I will be getting my first XP system soon. From your post I
    > understand that I should leave XP firewall on for the fist internet
    > visit until I get Zone Alarm, etc. d/led. After ZA is in place I
    > should disable XP firewall?

    If it is not WinXP SP2 you will have to turn on the firewall yourself before
    connecting.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    William B. Lurie wrote:
    > I see some flak about what the XP Firewall does and doesn't do.
    > How about a reference from our MVPs as to what it is supposed
    > to do, and what evidence it gives that it is actually doing
    > anything? I've had mine "on" for a couple of months, and it
    > gives no evidence that it is doing anything. Maybe that's
    > really good! A program that just does its thing and doesn't
    > brag about it.

    WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks,
    and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not
    do, is give you any kind of alerts or other indication that it's working
    or has blocked any attempted intrusions. It also does not protect you
    from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone else using your
    computer) might download and install inadvertently. It doesn't monitor
    out-going traffic at all, other than to check for IP-spoofing, much less
    block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the questionable out-going
    signals. It assumes that any application you have on your hard drive is
    there because you want it there, and therefore has your "permission" to
    access the Internet. Further, because the Windows Firewall is a
    "stateful" firewall, it will also assume that any incoming traffic
    that's a direct response to a Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is
    also authorized.

    Description of a Personal Firewall
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321050

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > William B. Lurie wrote:
    >
    >> I see some flak about what the XP Firewall does and doesn't do.
    >> How about a reference from our MVPs as to what it is supposed
    >> to do, and what evidence it gives that it is actually doing
    >> anything? I've had mine "on" for a couple of months, and it
    >> gives no evidence that it is doing anything. Maybe that's
    >> really good! A program that just does its thing and doesn't
    >> brag about it.
    >

    > WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks,
    > and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not
    > do, is give you any kind of alerts or other indication that it's working
    > or has blocked any attempted intrusions. It also does not protect you
    > from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone else using your
    > computer) might download and install inadvertently. It doesn't monitor
    > out-going traffic at all, other than to check for IP-spoofing, much less
    > block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the questionable out-going
    > signals. It assumes that any application you have on your hard drive is
    > there because you want it there, and therefore has your "permission" to
    > access the Internet. Further, because the Windows Firewall is a
    > "stateful" firewall, it will also assume that any incoming traffic
    > that's a direct response to a Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is
    > also authorized.
    >
    > Description of a Personal Firewall
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321050
    >
    > ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    > built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    > free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    > available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    > although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    > ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    Thank you, Bruce. I appreciate the informative response.

    Bill

    Thanks for the tips.

    William B. Lurie wrote:

    > Thank you, Bruce. I appreciate the informative response.
    >
    > Bill

    You're welcome.

    --

    Bruce Chambers