Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Hey guys.

Here's what I have currently...

cpu@3.2GHz
fsb@1600
Mem@800MHz
STOCK COOLING

Followed Wuzy's guide for voltages. The Vcore is sitting one notch above 1.375V (1.3938V)

I've finally taken the plunge into OCing this badboy some and have had some pretty good results. I'm sitting in Prime95 right now doing a stress test and at full load my CPU is at 62C. Is this ok? I'm thinking I should lower the FSB a little jsut to bring temps down. At Idle with this setup I'm currently at cpu 55C.

Any comments? I'm not leaving this setup the way it is for long...in fact i'm logging off to lower the FSB cause I'm scared...

lol

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
lol...yeah...but what cooling have you got for the CPU? What's your voltage at for the CPU? And FSB?

At 2.7Ghz my e6400 is running at 51C and 58 under load....don't ask I have NO idea why it's registering such a high off-load temp...maybe there's something up with the thermal paste or the way the heatsink is mounted.. Could be my error? I don't know. But if this were the case wouldn't the CPU, under stock cooling conditions at this clock, be higher than 62C under full load?

Also...what kind of errors am I to expect from a CPU that is too hot? Will windows act funny if I'm not supplying enough voltage to the northbridge?

EDIT: Weird...Core Temp shows both cores at 52C while I write this. nVidia monitor reads CPU temp at 44C. Upon restart in the bios it reads 32C. Is there a logical reason for these differences? I have all fans set to 100% in the bois at all times.

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I'm getting high idle temps at stock, too. (E6600 @ 3.0, 680i, stock cooling) I suspect it's because our fans are running at low speeds while the processor is idle. You can manually adjust your fan speeds in the 680i BIOS. I haven't cared to try. 62C at load is a fine temp, as has been said... I think you can leave it at 3.2GHz. If you get a nice aftermarket cooler and some good thermal paste (and cure it properly), you'll be able to push it even further.

If you're really, really concerned with getting lower temps, you can always try lapping the processor. But, you're at 3.2 GHz already... Unless you want the cred, I think laziness is the best policy. :'P

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I'm getting high idle temps at stock, too. (E6600 @ 3.0, 680i, stock cooling) I suspect it's because our fans are running at low speeds while the processor is idle. You can manually adjust your fan speeds in the 680i BIOS. I haven't cared to try. 62C at load is a fine temp, as has been said... I think you can leave it at 3.2GHz. If you get a nice aftermarket cooler and some good thermal paste (and cure it properly), you'll be able to push it even further.

If you're really, really concerned with getting lower temps, you can always try lapping the processor. But, you're at 3.2 GHz already... Unless you want the cred, I think laziness is the best policy. :'P

I changed the fan settings in the bios so that they are on 100% all the time.

What is your voltage at for your FSB? At 3.2 Ghz I started getting some weird windows stuff happening, though it didn't lock up or crash. Prime 95 tested ok though... What could be happening here?

Ok...I'm solid as a rock @ 3.0Ghz vcore @1.375. Going from stock to 3.0Ghz put me over 10000 point mark in 3Dmark05! Woopie. With only 1 7900GT in my case right now, I think this is a pretty decent score. I'm going to test this setup out some more and post back.

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I know that I didn't have to increase the voltage from stock to get 3.0 out of it from FSB overclocking (once I discoverd the BIOS hole at 1100 FSB and jumped over it...), but I don't know what the stock voltage is. Unfortunately, I'm at work away from my computer and my OCing notes, so I can't tell you at the moment. If you send me a PM to remind me, I'll post my voltage when I get home.

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Thank you so much to both of you for your prompt and helpful replies =D I really do appreciate your help.

I'm going to go the lazy route and leave the stock cooler on as I have this setup up and running perfectly. The less I tinker, the less I blow stuff up lol. I'll be happy at 3.0. I am however concerned about all the other voltages on the board. Since our memory isn't linked to the cpu, I left my timings the way they are stock. Also, I'm wondering what your southbridge etc. is at.

The fan control portion of the bios is easy-peasy.

I'll play WoW all day today with my gf (rocks having a gamer gf!) and see how it fairs...looks solid as a rock just tinkering around on the net, in windows, and with some other graphics intensive games this morning.

Thanks again!