installing oem xphome again

January 3, 2005 3:52:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I purchased
a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this is
an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
been activated on the old machine.
thanks zel

More about : installing oem xphome

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:52:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You really know the answer to this already - don't you?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
>A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
>purchased
> a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
> is
> an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
> with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
> oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
> original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
> been activated on the old machine.
> thanks zel

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:52:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Oops! Misread your question. As long as you do not have it installed on the
original computer you are in compliance.

That does not mean that you won't have to do a repair install though. Your
hardware has now changed and your old system is enumerated for the hardware
that you "use" to have. Nothing will work - in fact you may not be able to
boot into the system.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
>A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
>purchased
> a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
> is
> an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
> with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
> oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
> original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
> been activated on the old machine.
> thanks zel

January 3, 2005 3:52:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
>A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
>purchased
> a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
> is
> an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
> with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
> oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
> original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
> been activated on the old machine.
> thanks zel

Once you have installed an OEM version it is forever tied to the first
system it was installed on. Even if you scrap the old system you can not
legally install that OEM version on a different system.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Can I just simply reformat my hard drive and do a new installation (this is
oem version)
news:o W5hrWZ8EHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Oops! Misread your question. As long as you do not have it installed on
the
> original computer you are in compliance.
>
> That does not mean that you won't have to do a repair install though. Your
> hardware has now changed and your old system is enumerated for the
hardware
> that you "use" to have. Nothing will work - in fact you may not be able to
> boot into the system.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
> >A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
> >purchased
> > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
> > is
> > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
> > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use
the
> > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
> > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has
already
> > been activated on the old machine.
> > thanks zel

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 4:17:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Absolutely! But if you have a bunch of installed programs and personal files
on the computer you may want to rethink that strategy. If you do want to go
that route, back up all of your personal files (letters, photo's, music,
address book, e-mails etc) to a CD.

--

> Can I just simply reformat my hard drive and do a new installation (this
> is
> oem version)
> news:o W5hrWZ8EHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Oops! Misread your question. As long as you do not have it installed on
> the
>> original computer you are in compliance.
>>
>> That does not mean that you won't have to do a repair install though.
>> Your
>> hardware has now changed and your old system is enumerated for the
> hardware
>> that you "use" to have. Nothing will work - in fact you may not be able
>> boot into the system.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>
>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>

>> "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
>> >A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
>> >purchased
>> > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As
>> > this
>> > is
>> > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new
>> > computer
>> > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use
> the
>> > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
>> > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has
> already
>> > been activated on the old machine.
>> > thanks zel

January 3, 2005 6:15:26 PM

news:o qYRu1Z8EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
: news:crbfp2$5rh$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
: >A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
: >purchased
: > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
: > is
: > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
: > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use
the
: > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
: > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has
already
: > been activated on the old machine.
: > thanks zel
: >
:
: Once you have installed an OEM version it is forever tied to the first
: system it was installed on. Even if you scrap the old system you can not
: legally install that OEM version on a different system.
:
: --
:
: Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]

Not legally but if 120 days have past, it can be done with no problems,
legal or otherwise. In fact, if you live in Spain, cracked copies are legal
for personal use. Also, in Spain OEM versions of XP Home and Pro can be
gotten legally at most computer stores without any hardware. In fact, you
will be hard pressed to find a retail version. You see, the Spanish judges
for some reason think their rulings have precedence over any EULA.
--
Alias

January 3, 2005 6:15:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Illegal (cracked) copies of Windows XP are not legal in any country.
Does Spain also endorse the use of counterfeit money? Please refrain
from posting such foolhardy comments!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Alias" foolishly wrote:

| Not legally but if 120 days have past, it can be done with no problems,
| legal or otherwise. In fact, if you live in Spain, cracked copies are legal
| for personal use. Also, in Spain OEM versions of XP Home and Pro can be
| gotten legally at most computer stores without any hardware. In fact, you
| will be hard pressed to find a retail version. You see, the Spanish judges
| for some reason think their rulings have precedence over any EULA.
| --
| Alias
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 6:50:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I read the answer to this question and I'm still laughing my ass off.

news:o cm3mUZ8EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> You really know the answer to this already - don't you?
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
>>A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
>>purchased
>> a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
>> is
>> an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
>> with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
>> oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
>> original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
>> been activated on the old machine.
>> thanks zel

January 3, 2005 7:25:35 PM

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote

: Illegal (cracked) copies of Windows XP are not legal in any country.
: Does Spain also endorse the use of counterfeit money? Please refrain
: from posting such foolhardy comments!
:
: --
: Carey Frisch

Ahem, I stand by my statements, your insults notwithstanding. For *personal
use*, copies of any software are legal in Spain, cracked or otherwise. If
they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines (six figures
in euros). This has been proven in the Spanish courts time and time again
(which has precedence over MS' scammy EULAs). If you understand Spanish, go
to any Spanish newsgroup other than MS's groups and see how long it takes to
get you laughed off the group.

Your comparison to money is absurd. Apples, oranges and all that jazz.
--
Alias

:
: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:
: "Alias" foolishly wrote:
: |
: | Not legally but if 120 days have past, it can be done with no problems,
: | legal or otherwise. In fact, if you live in Spain, cracked copies are
legal
: | for personal use. Also, in Spain OEM versions of XP Home and Pro can be
: | gotten legally at most computer stores without any hardware. In fact,
you
: | will be hard pressed to find a retail version. You see, the Spanish
judges
: | for some reason think their rulings have precedence over any EULA.
: | --
: | Alias
:
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 7:25:36 PM

"Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message

| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
|
| : Illegal (cracked) copies of Windows XP are not legal in any country.
| : Does Spain also endorse the use of counterfeit money? Please refrain
| : from posting such foolhardy comments!
| :
| : --
| : Carey Frisch
|
| Ahem, I stand by my statements, your insults notwithstanding. For
*personal
| use*, copies of any software are legal in Spain, cracked or otherwise. If
| they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines (six figures
| in euros). This has been proven in the Spanish courts time and time again
| (which has precedence over MS' scammy EULAs). If you understand Spanish,
go
| to any Spanish newsgroup other than MS's groups and see how long it takes
| get you laughed off the group.
|
| Your comparison to money is absurd. Apples, oranges and all that jazz.
| --
| Alias

If he understands Spanish?? He doesn't even understand English.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 7:25:37 PM

| Spanish police arrest 14 for Microsoft piracy
| http://www.computerweekly.com/Article127659.htm
|
| --
| Carey Frisch
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP - Shell/User
|
| Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
| http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

You thundering moron! Do you *ever* read before posting?? Here's what Alias
said: "If they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines (six
figures
in euros)." Why not get someone to read the posts to you before you
respond?
January 3, 2005 7:45:23 PM

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:o ohcJqa8EHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
:
: "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
: news:33t6f7F43gnqoU1@individual.net...
: |
: | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
: |
: | : Illegal (cracked) copies of Windows XP are not legal in any country.
: | : Does Spain also endorse the use of counterfeit money? Please refrain
: | : from posting such foolhardy comments!
: | :
: | : --
: | : Carey Frisch
: |
[...]

Considering that the young man lives in Louisiana, you have a point ( :
--
Alias

January 3, 2005 10:15:00 PM

zeldaber wrote:
> A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I purchased
> a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this is
> an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
> with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
> oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
> original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
> been activated on the old machine.
> thanks zel

An OEM version must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a
motherboard or hard rive, if not an entire PC) and is _permanently_
bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM license, once
installed, is not legally transferable to another computer under _any_
circumstances.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
January 4, 2005 12:13:16 AM

[...]

Must be that English problem of his ...
--
Alias

January 4, 2005 12:13:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
original question with an OEM product that has already been activated once,
is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the old machine
away

> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote
> :
> : "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
> : | Spanish police arrest 14 for Microsoft piracy
> : | http://www.computerweekly.com/Article127659.htm
> : |
> : | --
> : | Carey Frisch
> : | Microsoft MVP
> : | Windows XP - Shell/User
> : |
> : | Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> : | http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> :
> : You thundering moron! Do you *ever* read before posting?? Here's what
> Alias
> : said: "If they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines
> (six
> : figures
> : in euros)." Why not get someone to read the posts to you before you
> : respond?
>
> Must be that English problem of his ...
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:13:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The license for an OEM version of Windows XP is tied to
the very first computer it is installed on. It is non-transferable
to another computer. That's one reason OEM versions cost
less to begin with. Only "Retail Versions" of Windows XP
can be transferred and reactivated on a different computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"zeldaber" wrote:

| ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
| original question with an OEM product that has already been activated once,
| is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the old machine
| away
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:13:18 AM

> ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
> original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
> once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the
> old machine away

Many OEM versions of WinXP are locked to the BIOS of the machine and can't
be installed on another machine. If it's a retail OEM copy you can install
it and use it on a new machine but you may have to activate by telephone.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

zeldaber wrote:
> ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
> original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
> once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the
> old machine away

Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address box.
OEM clarification.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

In news:crcb0d$l8q$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk,
zeldaber <free@free.com> typed:

> ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here
> about the
> original question with an OEM product that has already been
> activated
> once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing
> the
> old machine away

Unfortunately, yes. The OEM version is cheaper than the retail
version, and this is one of the main reasons why. It comes with a
much more restrictive license.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:13:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
> ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
> original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
once,
> is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the old machine
> away

IIRC you bought the OS with a new hard drive, right? and you're keeping the
hard drive, right? That sounds technically legal since the OS is staying
with the drive (although you'll probably need to re-install).

But if you "upgrade" the entire computer around the drive, what happens if
the drive fails and the rest of the computer is still usable? I don't know
if your OEM license evaporates at that point.
--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."

Jim Nugent wrote:

> IIRC you bought the OS with a new hard drive, right? and you're keeping the
> hard drive, right? That sounds technically legal since the OS is staying
> with the drive (although you'll probably need to re-install).

No, that's not correct. While the OEM license can be purchased with a
computer component, it becomes _permanently_ bound to the first computer
in which that component and license is installed. This is stated
clearly in the OEM EULA. The subsequent removal of the qualifying
component has no bearing on the matter.

> But if you "upgrade" the entire computer around the drive, what happens if
> the drive fails and the rest of the computer is still usable? I don't know
> if your OEM license evaporates at that point.

Precisely the "Catch-22" of your theory. This is why the license
becomes bound to the computer, not the component.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:27:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The answer to your question, as it pertains to an OEM version of Windows XP,
is yes. Once installed it is forever tied to that system even if you scrap
it. This is one reason why OEM versions are so much cheaper than retail
versions.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
> ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
> original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
> once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the old
> machine away
>
> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote
>> :
>> : "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
>> : | Spanish police arrest 14 for Microsoft piracy
>> : | http://www.computerweekly.com/Article127659.htm
>> : |
>> : | --
>> : | Carey Frisch
>> : | Microsoft MVP
>> : | Windows XP - Shell/User
>> : |
>> : | Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>> : | http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>> :
>> : You thundering moron! Do you *ever* read before posting?? Here's what
>> Alias
>> : said: "If they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines
>> (six
>> : figures
>> : in euros)." Why not get someone to read the posts to you before you
>> : respond?
>>
>> Must be that English problem of his ...
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>>
>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:01:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

how do i know if its locked to the bios or not?
sorry for sounding dumb but i'm still learning
zel
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
>> ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
>> original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
>> once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the
>> old machine away
>
> Many OEM versions of WinXP are locked to the BIOS of the machine and can't
> be installed on another machine. If it's a retail OEM copy you can
> install it and use it on a new machine but you may have to activate by
> telephone.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:01:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Generally, only OEM product sold with a computer a BIOS locked. If you
purchased this from another individual instead of at a reputable retailer,
there's always the possibility the individual sold a BIOS locked version.
How can you tell? It won't install because it won't recognize the system.
Also, BIOS locked versions tend to come on a disk that includes the name of
the manufacturer such as HP, Dell, etc.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> how do i know if its locked to the bios or not?
> sorry for sounding dumb but i'm still learning
> zel
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
>>> ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
>>> original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
>>> once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the
>>> old machine away
>>
>> Many OEM versions of WinXP are locked to the BIOS of the machine and
>> can't be installed on another machine. If it's a retail OEM copy you can
>> install it and use it on a new machine but you may have to activate by
>> telephone.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:00:58 PM

> > But if you "upgrade" the entire computer around the drive, what happens
if
> > the drive fails and the rest of the computer is still usable? I don't
know
> > if your OEM license evaporates at that point.
>

> Precisely the "Catch-22" of your theory. This is why the license
> becomes bound to the computer, not the component.

Thanks, Bruce. After posting that, I got to the EULA clarification you
posted, and concluded the same thing. I guess the good news is that the
license jumps to the computer so it is NOT so fragile as if it were tied to
the HDD; the BAD news for the OP is the same thing.
--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:04:32 PM

Jim Nugent wrote:

> Thanks, Bruce. After posting that, I got to the EULA clarification you
> posted, and concluded the same thing. I guess the good news is that the
> license jumps to the computer so it is NOT so fragile as if it were tied to
> the HDD; the BAD news for the OP is the same thing.

For the OP, yes, it amounts to bad news. This is not necessarily the
case, however, for those who build their own PCs and then subsequently
upgrade them, one piece at a time for the next several years. In this
case, an OEM license can offer a substantial reduction in the initial
outlay.

According to the EULA, an OEM license may not be transferred from
one distinct PC to another PC. However, this most emphatically does not
prohibit one from repairing or upgrading the PC on which an OEM license
is installed.

Now, some people believe that the motherboard is the key component
that defines the "original computer," but the OEM EULA does not make any
such distinction. Others have said that one could successfully argue
that it's the PC's case that is the deciding component, as that is where
one is instructed to affix the OEM CoA label w/Product Key. Again, the
EULA does not specifically define any single component as the computer.

Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ publicly to define
when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
computer. The closest I've ever seen a Microsoft employee come to this
definition (in a public forum) is to tell the person making the inquiry
to consult the PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is
solely the responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine
what sort of hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support
agreements are voided. To paraphrase: An incrementally upgraded
computer ceases to be the original computer, as pertains to the OEM
EULA, only when the *OEM* says it's a different computer. If you've
built the system yourself, and used a generic OEM CD, then _you_ are the
"OEM," and _you_ get to decide when you'll no longer support your product."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm