installing oem xphome again

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I purchased
a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this is
an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
been activated on the old machine.
thanks zel
27 answers Last reply
More about installing xphome again
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You really know the answer to this already - don't you?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    >A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
    >purchased
    > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
    > is
    > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
    > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
    > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
    > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
    > been activated on the old machine.
    > thanks zel

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Oops! Misread your question. As long as you do not have it installed on the
    original computer you are in compliance.

    That does not mean that you won't have to do a repair install though. Your
    hardware has now changed and your old system is enumerated for the hardware
    that you "use" to have. Nothing will work - in fact you may not be able to
    boot into the system.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    >A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
    >purchased
    > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
    > is
    > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
    > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
    > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
    > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
    > been activated on the old machine.
    > thanks zel

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    >A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
    >purchased
    > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
    > is
    > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
    > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
    > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
    > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
    > been activated on the old machine.
    > thanks zel

    Once you have installed an OEM version it is forever tied to the first
    system it was installed on. Even if you scrap the old system you can not
    legally install that OEM version on a different system.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Can I just simply reformat my hard drive and do a new installation (this is
    oem version)
    > Oops! Misread your question. As long as you do not have it installed on
    the
    > original computer you are in compliance.
    >
    > That does not mean that you won't have to do a repair install though. Your
    > hardware has now changed and your old system is enumerated for the
    hardware
    > that you "use" to have. Nothing will work - in fact you may not be able to
    > boot into the system.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    > >A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
    > >purchased
    > > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
    > > is
    > > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
    > > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use
    the
    > > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
    > > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has
    already
    > > been activated on the old machine.
    > > thanks zel

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Absolutely! But if you have a bunch of installed programs and personal files
    on the computer you may want to rethink that strategy. If you do want to go
    that route, back up all of your personal files (letters, photo's, music,
    address book, e-mails etc) to a CD.

    --

    > Can I just simply reformat my hard drive and do a new installation (this
    > is
    > oem version)
    >> Oops! Misread your question. As long as you do not have it installed on
    > the
    >> original computer you are in compliance.
    >>
    >> That does not mean that you won't have to do a repair install though.
    >> Your
    >> hardware has now changed and your old system is enumerated for the
    > hardware
    >> that you "use" to have. Nothing will work - in fact you may not be able
    >> boot into the system.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>
    >> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >>

    >> "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    >> >A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
    >> >purchased
    >> > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As
    >> > this
    >> > is
    >> > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new
    >> > computer
    >> > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use
    > the
    >> > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
    >> > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has
    > already
    >> > been activated on the old machine.
    >> > thanks zel

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    : "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    : news:crbfp2$5rh$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
    : >A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
    : >purchased
    : > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
    : > is
    : > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
    : > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use
    the
    : > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
    : > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has
    already
    : > been activated on the old machine.
    : > thanks zel
    : >
    :
    : Once you have installed an OEM version it is forever tied to the first
    : system it was installed on. Even if you scrap the old system you can not
    : legally install that OEM version on a different system.
    :
    : --
    :
    : Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]

    Not legally but if 120 days have past, it can be done with no problems,
    legal or otherwise. In fact, if you live in Spain, cracked copies are legal
    for personal use. Also, in Spain OEM versions of XP Home and Pro can be
    gotten legally at most computer stores without any hardware. In fact, you
    will be hard pressed to find a retail version. You see, the Spanish judges
    for some reason think their rulings have precedence over any EULA.
    --
    Alias

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Illegal (cracked) copies of Windows XP are not legal in any country.
    Does Spain also endorse the use of counterfeit money? Please refrain
    from posting such foolhardy comments!

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Alias" foolishly wrote:

    | Not legally but if 120 days have past, it can be done with no problems,
    | legal or otherwise. In fact, if you live in Spain, cracked copies are legal
    | for personal use. Also, in Spain OEM versions of XP Home and Pro can be
    | gotten legally at most computer stores without any hardware. In fact, you
    | will be hard pressed to find a retail version. You see, the Spanish judges
    | for some reason think their rulings have precedence over any EULA.
    | --
    | Alias
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I read the answer to this question and I'm still laughing my ass off.

    > You really know the answer to this already - don't you?
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    >>A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I
    >>purchased
    >> a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this
    >> is
    >> an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
    >> with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
    >> oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
    >> original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
    >> been activated on the old machine.
    >> thanks zel

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote

    : Illegal (cracked) copies of Windows XP are not legal in any country.
    : Does Spain also endorse the use of counterfeit money? Please refrain
    : from posting such foolhardy comments!
    :
    : --
    : Carey Frisch

    Ahem, I stand by my statements, your insults notwithstanding. For *personal
    use*, copies of any software are legal in Spain, cracked or otherwise. If
    they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines (six figures
    in euros). This has been proven in the Spanish courts time and time again
    (which has precedence over MS' scammy EULAs). If you understand Spanish, go
    to any Spanish newsgroup other than MS's groups and see how long it takes to
    get you laughed off the group.

    Your comparison to money is absurd. Apples, oranges and all that jazz.
    --
    Alias

    :
    : --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :
    : "Alias" foolishly wrote:
    : |
    : | Not legally but if 120 days have past, it can be done with no problems,
    : | legal or otherwise. In fact, if you live in Spain, cracked copies are
    legal
    : | for personal use. Also, in Spain OEM versions of XP Home and Pro can be
    : | gotten legally at most computer stores without any hardware. In fact,
    you
    : | will be hard pressed to find a retail version. You see, the Spanish
    judges
    : | for some reason think their rulings have precedence over any EULA.
    : | --
    : | Alias
    :
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message

    | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
    |
    | : Illegal (cracked) copies of Windows XP are not legal in any country.
    | : Does Spain also endorse the use of counterfeit money? Please refrain
    | : from posting such foolhardy comments!
    | :
    | : --
    | : Carey Frisch
    |
    | Ahem, I stand by my statements, your insults notwithstanding. For
    *personal
    | use*, copies of any software are legal in Spain, cracked or otherwise. If
    | they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines (six figures
    | in euros). This has been proven in the Spanish courts time and time again
    | (which has precedence over MS' scammy EULAs). If you understand Spanish,
    go
    | to any Spanish newsgroup other than MS's groups and see how long it takes
    | get you laughed off the group.
    |
    | Your comparison to money is absurd. Apples, oranges and all that jazz.
    | --
    | Alias

    If he understands Spanish?? He doesn't even understand English.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Spanish police arrest 14 for Microsoft piracy
    http://www.computerweekly.com/Article127659.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    | Spanish police arrest 14 for Microsoft piracy
    | http://www.computerweekly.com/Article127659.htm
    |
    | --
    | Carey Frisch
    | Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP - Shell/User
    |
    | Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    | http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    You thundering moron! Do you *ever* read before posting?? Here's what Alias
    said: "If they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines (six
    figures
    in euros)." Why not get someone to read the posts to you before you
    respond?
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message
    :
    : "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    : news:33t6f7F43gnqoU1@individual.net...
    : |
    : | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
    : |
    : | : Illegal (cracked) copies of Windows XP are not legal in any country.
    : | : Does Spain also endorse the use of counterfeit money? Please refrain
    : | : from posting such foolhardy comments!
    : | :
    : | : --
    : | : Carey Frisch
    : |
[...]

    Considering that the young man lives in Louisiana, you have a point ( :
    --
    Alias

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    zeldaber wrote:
    > A little while ago I wanted to upgrade an old computer I have so I purchased
    > a new hard drive and bought oem xp home and installed them both. As this is
    > an old athlon I now have decided that I will build myself a new computer
    > with new componants but I will use my old hard drive. Can I still use the
    > oem xp I bought as I will still be using it on 1 machine. I have the
    > original disk, certificate of authenticity/product key but it has already
    > been activated on the old machine.
    > thanks zel

    An OEM version must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a
    motherboard or hard rive, if not an entire PC) and is _permanently_
    bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM license, once
    installed, is not legally transferable to another computer under _any_
    circumstances.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

[...]

    Must be that English problem of his ...
    --
    Alias

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
    original question with an OEM product that has already been activated once,
    is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the old machine
    away

    > "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote
    > :
    > : "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
    > : | Spanish police arrest 14 for Microsoft piracy
    > : | http://www.computerweekly.com/Article127659.htm
    > : |
    > : | --
    > : | Carey Frisch
    > : | Microsoft MVP
    > : | Windows XP - Shell/User
    > : |
    > : | Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > : | http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > :
    > : You thundering moron! Do you *ever* read before posting?? Here's what
    > Alias
    > : said: "If they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines
    > (six
    > : figures
    > : in euros)." Why not get someone to read the posts to you before you
    > : respond?
    >
    > Must be that English problem of his ...
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    The license for an OEM version of Windows XP is tied to
    the very first computer it is installed on. It is non-transferable
    to another computer. That's one reason OEM versions cost
    less to begin with. Only "Retail Versions" of Windows XP
    can be transferred and reactivated on a different computer.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "zeldaber" wrote:

    | ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
    | original question with an OEM product that has already been activated once,
    | is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the old machine
    | away
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
    > original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
    > once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the
    > old machine away

    Many OEM versions of WinXP are locked to the BIOS of the machine and can't
    be installed on another machine. If it's a retail OEM copy you can install
    it and use it on a new machine but you may have to activate by telephone.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    zeldaber wrote:
    > ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
    > original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
    > once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the
    > old machine away

    Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address box.
    OEM clarification.
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    In news:crcb0d$l8q$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk,
    zeldaber <free@free.com> typed:

    > ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here
    > about the
    > original question with an OEM product that has already been
    > activated
    > once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing
    > the
    > old machine away

    Unfortunately, yes. The OEM version is cheaper than the retail
    version, and this is one of the main reasons why. It comes with a
    much more restrictive license.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    > ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
    > original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
    once,
    > is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the old machine
    > away

    IIRC you bought the OS with a new hard drive, right? and you're keeping the
    hard drive, right? That sounds technically legal since the OS is staying
    with the drive (although you'll probably need to re-install).

    But if you "upgrade" the entire computer around the drive, what happens if
    the drive fails and the rest of the computer is still usable? I don't know
    if your OEM license evaporates at that point.
    --
    Jim
    "Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."

    Jim Nugent wrote:

    > IIRC you bought the OS with a new hard drive, right? and you're keeping the
    > hard drive, right? That sounds technically legal since the OS is staying
    > with the drive (although you'll probably need to re-install).

    No, that's not correct. While the OEM license can be purchased with a
    computer component, it becomes _permanently_ bound to the first computer
    in which that component and license is installed. This is stated
    clearly in the OEM EULA. The subsequent removal of the qualifying
    component has no bearing on the matter.

    > But if you "upgrade" the entire computer around the drive, what happens if
    > the drive fails and the rest of the computer is still usable? I don't know
    > if your OEM license evaporates at that point.

    Precisely the "Catch-22" of your theory. This is why the license
    becomes bound to the computer, not the component.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    The answer to your question, as it pertains to an OEM version of Windows XP,
    is yes. Once installed it is forever tied to that system even if you scrap
    it. This is one reason why OEM versions are so much cheaper than retail
    versions.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    > ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
    > original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
    > once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the old
    > machine away
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote
    >> :
    >> : "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
    >> : | Spanish police arrest 14 for Microsoft piracy
    >> : | http://www.computerweekly.com/Article127659.htm
    >> : |
    >> : | --
    >> : | Carey Frisch
    >> : | Microsoft MVP
    >> : | Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> : |
    >> : | Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> : | http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >> :
    >> : You thundering moron! Do you *ever* read before posting?? Here's what
    >> Alias
    >> : said: "If they are used for financial gain, there are substantial fines
    >> (six
    >> : figures
    >> : in euros)." Why not get someone to read the posts to you before you
    >> : respond?
    >>
    >> Must be that English problem of his ...
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >>
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    how do i know if its locked to the bios or not?
    sorry for sounding dumb but i'm still learning
    zel
    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    >> ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
    >> original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
    >> once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the
    >> old machine away
    >
    > Many OEM versions of WinXP are locked to the BIOS of the machine and can't
    > be installed on another machine. If it's a retail OEM copy you can
    > install it and use it on a new machine but you may have to activate by
    > telephone.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Generally, only OEM product sold with a computer a BIOS locked. If you
    purchased this from another individual instead of at a reputable retailer,
    there's always the possibility the individual sold a BIOS locked version.
    How can you tell? It won't install because it won't recognize the system.
    Also, BIOS locked versions tend to come on a disk that includes the name of
    the manufacturer such as HP, Dell, etc.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    > how do i know if its locked to the bios or not?
    > sorry for sounding dumb but i'm still learning
    > zel
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> "zeldaber" <free@free.com> wrote in message
    >>> ermmm excuse me everyone I'm still in need of an answer here about the
    >>> original question with an OEM product that has already been activated
    >>> once, is it now useless on another machine? despite me throwing the
    >>> old machine away
    >>
    >> Many OEM versions of WinXP are locked to the BIOS of the machine and
    >> can't be installed on another machine. If it's a retail OEM copy you can
    >> install it and use it on a new machine but you may have to activate by
    >> telephone.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >> Protect your PC
    >> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > > But if you "upgrade" the entire computer around the drive, what happens
    if
    > > the drive fails and the rest of the computer is still usable? I don't
    know
    > > if your OEM license evaporates at that point.
    >

    > Precisely the "Catch-22" of your theory. This is why the license
    > becomes bound to the computer, not the component.

    Thanks, Bruce. After posting that, I got to the EULA clarification you
    posted, and concluded the same thing. I guess the good news is that the
    license jumps to the computer so it is NOT so fragile as if it were tied to
    the HDD; the BAD news for the OP is the same thing.
    --
    Jim
    "Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Jim Nugent wrote:

    > Thanks, Bruce. After posting that, I got to the EULA clarification you
    > posted, and concluded the same thing. I guess the good news is that the
    > license jumps to the computer so it is NOT so fragile as if it were tied to
    > the HDD; the BAD news for the OP is the same thing.

    For the OP, yes, it amounts to bad news. This is not necessarily the
    case, however, for those who build their own PCs and then subsequently
    upgrade them, one piece at a time for the next several years. In this
    case, an OEM license can offer a substantial reduction in the initial
    outlay.

    According to the EULA, an OEM license may not be transferred from
    one distinct PC to another PC. However, this most emphatically does not
    prohibit one from repairing or upgrading the PC on which an OEM license
    is installed.

    Now, some people believe that the motherboard is the key component
    that defines the "original computer," but the OEM EULA does not make any
    such distinction. Others have said that one could successfully argue
    that it's the PC's case that is the deciding component, as that is where
    one is instructed to affix the OEM CoA label w/Product Key. Again, the
    EULA does not specifically define any single component as the computer.

    Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ publicly to define
    when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
    computer. The closest I've ever seen a Microsoft employee come to this
    definition (in a public forum) is to tell the person making the inquiry
    to consult the PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is
    solely the responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine
    what sort of hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support
    agreements are voided. To paraphrase: An incrementally upgraded
    computer ceases to be the original computer, as pertains to the OEM
    EULA, only when the *OEM* says it's a different computer. If you've
    built the system yourself, and used a generic OEM CD, then _you_ are the
    "OEM," and _you_ get to decide when you'll no longer support your product."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm