How does DirectX 10 affect what graphics card(s) I consider?

GreyKnight

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
SORRY, I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE AND THEN TWO POSTS APPEARED, ADMINS PLEASE DLETE ONE.

Hi folks, first post here :D

I am in the market to get a new gaming PC since my current rig (while a reliable home made old warhorse) is starting to show its age with some new games (mainly Medieval 2 which runs quite slowly on the battle screen and I MUST PLAY THAT GAME!) :lol: My current spec is:-

Intel P4 2.6GHz CPU
2Gb, PC3200 DDR RAM
XFX 256Mb Nvidia GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics (probably a weak link I know :oops: )
200Gb Maxtor SATA drive
Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card
19" Digimate TFT screen
Creative 6.1 speakers

I am thinking that I may take the plunge and get a complete ready made new system, I could build my own, but I don't really have the time these days, I want to get the thing and start using it. I've been reading magazine reviews and visiting various online PC suppliers and I've sort of found the rig that I think I may go for (PC Format's top rated medium-spec gamer rig this month, PCNextday's Zoostorm 5-8401 see here ) The basic spec on this is:-

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU
2Gb Super Talent, PC6400, DDR2 RAM
Dual ATi Radeon X1950XTX 512Mb PCI-E graphics cards in Crossfire
74Gb Raptor 10,000rpm drive (for games)
300Gb SATA drive for storage
7.1 Hi-Def Surround Sound
5.1 Philips MMS460 speakers
24" Acer monitor with 1,920x1,200 resolution support (amazing according to the review :D )

This is £2000 which sounds okay to me, but my main question is how will DirectX 10 affect this rig in a years time? I mean, since the GeForce 8800 cards are the only ones with DX10 support at the moment I assume that in 6 months time we will start seeing most games released with DX10 support, so how will this affect my new rig? Will it not support DX10 games, or will those games just not run as well as they do on a DX10 card?

Any comments you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
SORRY, I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE AND THEN TWO POSTS APPEARED, ADMINS PLEASE DLETE ONE.

Hi folks, first post here :D

I am in the market to get a new gaming PC since my current rig (while a reliable home made old warhorse) is starting to show its age with some new games (mainly Medieval 2 which runs quite slowly on the battle screen and I MUST PLAY THAT GAME!) :lol: My current spec is:-

Intel P4 2.6GHz CPU
2Gb, PC3200 DDR RAM
XFX 256Mb Nvidia GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics (probably a weak link I know :oops: )
200Gb Maxtor SATA drive
Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card
19" Digimate TFT screen
Creative 6.1 speakers

I am thinking that I may take the plunge and get a complete ready made new system, I could build my own, but I don't really have the time these days, I want to get the thing and start using it. I've been reading magazine reviews and visiting various online PC suppliers and I've sort of found the rig that I think I may go for (PC Format's top rated medium-spec gamer rig this month, PCNextday's Zoostorm 5-8401 see here ) The basic spec on this is:-

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU
2Gb Super Talent, PC6400, DDR2 RAM
Dual ATi Radeon X1950XTX 512Mb PCI-E graphics cards in Crossfire
74Gb Raptor 10,000rpm drive (for games)
300Gb SATA drive for storage
7.1 Hi-Def Surround Sound
5.1 Philips MMS460 speakers
24" Acer monitor with 1,920x1,200 resolution support (amazing according to the review :D )

This is £2000 which sounds okay to me, but my main question is how will DirectX 10 affect this rig in a years time? I mean, since the GeForce 8800 cards are the only ones with DX10 support at the moment I assume that in 6 months time we will start seeing most games released with DX10 support, so how will this affect my new rig? Will it not support DX10 games, or will those games just not run as well as they do on a DX10 card?

Any comments you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham
first of all
the weakest link is the CPU in your old system if you ask me...
Secondly LOOSE the Crossfire x1950XTX's and just get a GF 8800GTX it will be better and cheaper actually and ALSO it will be dx10 card so in 6 months when those DX10 games come out you can actually play them...
Why waste your cash on 2 Amazing DX9 Cards when you can get an Amazing DX10 card for the same price...
IT will last your longer:)

GreyKnight

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Thanks for the reply melarcky. I understand what you're saying, however one thing that the magazine review says about the twin X1950XTX's is that they compliment the 24" 1920x1200 monitor very well as the crossfire setup tends to improve things at very high resolutions (it says that this is what Crossfire does best).

I do see the attraction of the 8800GTX though, but it doesn't seem to be an option on this rig :?

GreyKnight

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Thanks for the reply melarcky. I understand what you're saying, however one thing that the magazine review says about the twin X1950XTX's is that they compliment the 24" 1920x1200 monitor very well as the crossfire setup tends to improve things at very high resolutions (it says that this is what Crossfire does best).

I do see the attraction of the 8800GTX though, but it doesn't seem to be an option on this rig :?