cday119

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Hey guys, I have a couple questions for you conserning a complete network overhaul project. Basically its a ficticious company looking to upgrade their network. There are 2 offices connected by a 768k line, each office has 50 users.

Basically I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience in VPN, Cisco Switches, and more importantly Remote Management - Remote Monitoring - Remote Assitance programs. I have set up VPN solutions before using windows server 2003, but I am looking into a hardware solution and was wonering if you guys have any recomendations. I have noticed that Cisco has VPN and Firewall solutions all in one. I was wondering with that, would I need a VPN server, and does the Cisco VPN authenticate againts the Windows Domain Controller.

The Cisco switches, I am going with the catalyst 4500 series. If anyone has any reasons not to or different series number, please discuss.

The routers will either be Cisco 2800 or 3800 series

I still have no idea of the remote monitoring and assitance. ANY suggestions would be great.

Thanks

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
For an all in one firewall, vpn, router solution Cisco PIX is a pretty decent way to go. Especially for enterprise use. The only consideration will be price. Due to this being ficticious you have a little more leeway but if there were budgets set there are MUCH more inexpensive solutions such as the symantec security appliances, hotbrick firewall, etc. However, none of those will authenticate using active directory. At least not to my knowlege.

For the switches, a bunch of money can be saved by using HP switches. If you just need it to be a switch and handle vLans an HP ProCurve can do it for far less than an equivilent Cisco. The 4600 series will handle switching and vlans. The 5300 and 5400 add routing capability to that. Those have 4-8 module slots. But heck, if there is no cost concern catalyst 4500 it is :)
I still use cisco routers at work, they have never failed me so I feel it is worth the extra money. HP routers probably do a great job I just haven't had first hand experience with them yet.

What sort of things are you wanting to do remotely? If windows servers are used they already have terminal services, that is the best remote management tool for them. Windows XP also includes remote desktop capabilities for remote managing client computers. What are you hoping for beyond that?